Ciarán Hinds is Mance Rayder

Westeros

After a long, long search, HBO and the Game of Thrones production have at last found their Mance Rayder, the former ranger who now calls himself King-beyond-the-Wall. According to James Hibberd at EW, <a href="http://insidetv.ew.c...">Ciarán Hinds has been cast</em>. The Belfast-native actor has a long and distinguished career, playing everything from King Lot in John Boorman’s Excalibur to the proud but tormented Brian de Bois-Guilbert tormented villains in the (very good) Ivanhoe miniseries and on to significant roles in Hollywood films such as The Sum of All Fears, John Carter, and the well-reviewed Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

But Hinds may be best-known to HBO fans for his gravitas in HBO’s much-missed Rome, the most expensive TV series the cable network has produced. His Julius Caesar may give a taste—just a taste—of the commanding presence he’ll bring to the role of Mance Rayder.read on >>>

Visit the Site!

I never imagined Mace Rayder to be a guy pushing 60, tbh.

I'm sceptical. The article highlights the actor's "gravitas" and "commanding presence"... which are basically the opposite of Mance Rayder's character. He's not supposed to be this epic, grandiose leader. Such a man would not blend into the crowd as Mance does. Mance woos and disarms people with his subtle charm.

*shrug* We'll see.

I'm actually ok with this casting. He's not who I pictured (James Purefoy girl here) but now that he's cast I can see it quite clearly in my head and it works. He's a strong actor and has a great presence which is what an actor playing Mance needs. I also didn't picture Mance this old but I think he is supposed to be in his fifties in the book.

I think he'll be great!

Archived