Unanswered Questions?

overcomebyfumes

Plus the old man who rows Sansa and Dontos to Littlefinger is a Kettleblack. I forget his exact name (sorry book not handy right now) but it's Osmyn or Osrick or something VERY Kettleblackian, and he has the big Kettleblack hooked nose.

It is Oswell Kettleblack and Sansa identifies him as such.

ASOS Sansa VI:

She studied the old man's lined windburnt face, hook nose, white hair, and huge knuckly hands. There was something familiar about him, yet Sansa had to shake her head. "I don't. I never saw Oswell before I got into his boat, I'm certain."

Oswell grinned, showing a mouth of crooked teeth. "No, but m'lady might of met my three sons."

It was the "three sons," and that smile too. "Kettleblack!" Sansa's eyes went wide. "You're a Kettleblack!"

"Aye, m'lady, as it please you."

My apologies if this was alredy asked.

1.What happened with Dark Sister?

I know that his last bearers were Aemon the Dragonknight and Bloodraven, but has anybody any idea of what happened with him.

2.Do we know from which house was Brandon,Eddard,Lyanna and Benjen mother?

3.Was king Daeron I. married or what? :huh:

4.Is it possible that Arthur Dayne is alive ?( that would be pretty good)

1. don't think we have the answer

2. not sure if it was their mother of grandmother but maby a lady of flint clan of the mountains

4. doubt it...ned brought his sword to starfall and I don't think he would give it up so quikly

1.What happened with Dark Sister? I know that his last bearers were Aemon the Dragonknight and Bloodraven, but has anybody any idea of what happened with him.

We don't know what happened with Dark Sister.

As for what happened with Bloodraven, when Aegon V. became king and Aemon went to the Wall Bloodraven was a prisoner and was sent to the Wall together with Aemon, where he later became Lord Commander. We don't know if he was allowed to take Dark Sister with him. Probably not if it was not his own property but only leased to him.

2.Do we know from which house was Brandon,Eddard,Lyanna and Benjen mother?

No. This question has been asked of GRRM and he once answered: "Lady Stark", and at another time he stated that he will reveal it in due time if there is anything important about it. On this occasion he also wondered if Tolkien was ever asked after Aragorn's mother. One might get the impression that GRRM initially didn't think it important enough to give Ned's mother much thought, and is now considering a way to introduce the answer in a way which makes sense.

3.Was king Daeron I. married or what?

He was married, though I don't think his wife is known to us.

4.Is it possible that Arthur Dayne is alive ?

As fas as I can tell, there is no plausible reason to think he is alive.

I think in another thread someone mentioned that Ned's mother was a Flint, though I'm can't site the books.

Ned's grandmother, the wife of Lord Edwyle Stark, was a Flint of the mountains. Old Nan attributes Bran's climbing penchant to her blood. This may in fact suggest that Ned's mother was not a Flint of the mountains herself, or Old Nan would have attributed Bran's climbing to her instead. That is, if the Flints of the mountains are generally known as climbers and not just Ned's grandmother.

Few more:

What is behind Euron's eyepatch?

What will happen to Jorah Mormont?

etc.

Ever read any E. A. Poe? In 'The Telltale Heart' an old man has an eye that the narrator calls his 'vulture eye.' 'Crow's Eye' is in homage. Euron has a smiling eye...but the other is truly hideous.

Jorah Mormont - I predict he'll strike back at Dany, the way men will when they feel they have been wronged (I have. It's just a male behavioral quirk.) What will he do? Probably inform on her, since he's betrayed her twice already, and recieve a lordship or better yet be promised a lordship but then executed after he informs on her...

In any case, the gravedigger + Coldhands + wine and a harp = Songs by Burned and Freezing

Euron has a smiling eye...but the other is truly hideous.

I think so too. I figure that his "Crow's Eye" is either entirely black (like an actual crow) or it resembles his red-eye-black-pupil standard Sam saw on the Redwyne Straits. I personally favor the latter because:

1. A red eye would correspond his red eyepatch he now wears after winning the kingsmoot.

2. Red eyes seem to be magical somehow.

3. It's creepier.

Also, if it turns out that he does have a red eye, I wonder if it would have any connection to Melisandre's red eyes. The Ghost of High Heart has red eyes as well. Mel can divine in her night fires, the GoHH has prophetic dreams--do red eyes signify some sort of seer ability? Consider how smoothly the attack on the Shield Isles went for the ironborn after Euron's ascension--was Euron so confident in the attack due in part to his mysterious Crow's Eye?

The Ghost of High Heart has red eyes as well. Mel can divine in her night fires, the GoHH has prophetic dreams--do red eyes signify some sort of seer ability? Consider how smoothly the attack on the Shield Isles went for the ironborn after Euron's ascension--was Euron so confident in the attack due in part to his mysterious Crow's Eye?

Rad. That's why Euron sailed in the day Balon washed up drowned. That furthers some of my thoughts about gods and their mediums. Melisandre sees by looking into the fire. GoHH sees in dreams, like Bran and the other Starks, and like the Reeds - that's the old gods' realm, dreams. Maybe Euron sees the future in seawater? If he even worships the Drowned God anymore.

Remember the dragons that Melisandre keeps wanting to awake?

They already, remember that the Dragon egg(s) (Not sure if Dany had more than one) was (were) like stone? Well after she burned Khal Drogo who is the Dorthraki equivalent to a king they awoke. She also burned the Maegi on the pyres.

1. Why is Brienne always referred to as "Brienne of Tarth"? Doesn't she have a proper last name?

2. Why did Olenna leave King's Landing, and what's going on at Highgarden? It seems dumb of the Tyrells to just leave Loras and Margaery on their own in that predatory court.

3. Why have the Daynes been keeping such a low profile?

IIRC sometimes Brienne is sometimes referred to as Brienne of House Tarth, implying that her name is Brienne Tarth. Also I seem to recall the usage of 'my lord of Lannister' by Shae to Tyrion so I don't think it's a unique form of address specific to Brienne. I suppose it would be akin to saying Tywin of Casterly Rock as Tarth is also the name of the island.

-Poobs

IIRC sometimes Brienne is sometimes referred to as Brienne of House Tarth, implying that her name is Brienne Tarth. Also I seem to recall the usage of 'my lord of Lannister' by Shae to Tyrion so I don't think it's a unique form of address specific to Brienne. I suppose it would be akin to saying Tywin of Casterly Rock as Tarth is also the name of the island.

-Poobs

I agree. That form of address isn't that strain. After all, her House's name is Tarth, so calling her Brienne Tarth makes as much sense as referring to Lord Tywin as 'Tywin Lannister' or his daughter as 'Cersei Lannister', which people have done in the series.

Guest Other-in-law
just re-read all of the chapters focusing on the ironborn in AFFC. euron crows eye is a worshipper of the seven "green land gods".

Do you have a single quote to back that up? I'm pretty sure that Euron does not worship the Seven...he may not worship any gods at all. He ordered Baelor Blacktyde to be executed by having him chopped into seven pieces, as a mockery of Baelor's seven gods.

First post.

To bring up Brienne's final word again, though I personally believe she will continue to play a role, it could simply have been a reference to "Sapphires!". The word itself may not matter as much as the parallel.

As for what I believe, it was obviously a parallel, but it was something that will save her (for now). "Arya" is my #1 guess, but "Stannis", "Renly", or "Vengeance" are also likely based on reading some of these thoughts. "Vengeance" would be more akin to "Sapphires" than the kings' names, since it could be interpreted as "against Jaime" (what Catelyn wants) or "against Stannis".

Then again, it could also be "Kingslayer" :smoking: .

On that note, I thought Jaime was the Valonqar before I knew what it meant... I thought Cersei didn't know either, and that it meant "Kingslayer". (Val- is obviously important to Valyria, perhaps a royal title, and someone besides Cersei called Tyrion a valonqar when my subconscious was thinking "I have your..." criminal.) When it meant little brother, I had no doubt, though Kevan is up there too.

...Hope Davos isn't dead, he's my favorite character and House Manderly is my favorite Stark sworn banner.

This question has been asked of GRRM and he once answered: "Lady Stark", and at another time he stated that he will reveal it in due time if there is anything important about it. On this occasion he also wondered if Tolkien was ever asked after Aragorn's mother. One might get the impression that GRRM initially didn't think it important enough to give Ned's mother much thought, and is now considering a way to introduce the answer in a way which makes sense.

I know her name and house now. There's even a rather interesting backstory concerning her... But it may have to wait for ADWD or the world book to come out, unless someone gets GRRM to cough up the details. ;)

I know her name and house now. There's even a rather interesting backstory concerning her..

Teasing is evil. ;)

Let's see, Ned's mother had a house, so she shouldn't have been a commoner or a wildling.

Does her backstory plausibly explain why she and the Starks' relatives through her have never been mentioned?

Archived