Jon Snow is Azor Ahai (the text proofs)

Jon's Queen Consort

Maybe this has been brought up already but I'll restate because I haven't seen it brought up in this post. According to the AA prophecy, "when the red star bleeds...Azor Ahai will be born." An indicator for this could be the sigil of Ser Patrik of King's Mountain having been bloodied when Wun Wun tore his limbs off right before Jon is "killed" by his fellow Night's Watch brothers(Ser Patrik's sigil is blue stars on a silver field). Just a thought....We all know how tricky prophecies are in Westeros.

What if Jon Snow is AA but also Dany. What if AA is/are the three headed dragon and actually the dragons of Dany is Lightbringer.

If I'm not wrong AA create Lightbringer after making a great sacriface (he drove his sword into Nissa Nissa's breast) and well, Dany lost/sacrifice her child for Khal Drogo's life. But since the betrayal of Mirri Maz Duur, she burned her dragon's eggs and she got the dragons.

Here you get you Song of Ice and Fire but also there's one rider left... I don't know. Maybe I gotta write this in a crackpot topic.

Maybe this has been brought up already but I'll restate because I haven't seen it brought up in this post. According to the AA prophecy, "when the red star bleeds...Azor Ahai will be born." An indicator for this could be the sigil of Ser Patrik of King's Mountain having been bloodied when Wun Wun tore his limbs off right before Jon is "killed" by his fellow Night's Watch brothers(Ser Patrik's sigil is blue stars on a silver field). Just a thought....We all know how tricky prophecies are in Westeros.

But Patreck's heraldry isnt red, its blue. And the prophecy should just say "when the star bleeds" if the original color of the star werent important (GRRM couldve easly made the heraldry a red star and avoided any confusion).

Anyway, isnt it posible that there are more than 1 AA (the dragon has three heads, Jon Dany, Bran?). I think that would be much more elegant answer than 1 single candidate...

I just fail to see how we should worry at all about Azor Ahai.

Firstly, I don't think any prophecies are meant to be fulfilled word by word. Most likely, not even strong believers would think so.

Then, there's the fact that AAR is specific to one religion. As I understand it, GRRM seems to make a reasonable point about how none of the religions is the receptacle of universal truths or myths. They are all quite specific to their people and seem to be metaphorically connected to their territory, to what surrounds them. It seems a bit far-fetched to think that Jon would be the one to embody a fire religion prophecy. Daenerys seems like a better candidate, but even then, she has nothing to do with Asshai.

So we can think of how, like ButterBumps said a good many posts prior, most religions have aspects in their mythology that are alike. Surely, AAR can be none other than the PTwP, as many have mentioned (and some said George confirmed it). Still, a prophecy, especially within religions that are so closely related to territory/weather and life cycles (seasons and their specific activities), is almost a language device, if you lay it bare, so that new cycles can be justified.

From chaos, or, let's say, chance, patterns emerge from casual repetition and we learn to recognise them, especially those related to nature when your life is absolutely dependent on climate and the land (including the fauna living on it) but also societal cycles, especially when what you have is more or less precarious balance based on power, be it more political or of warfare. So, the way I see it, all those religions are more like different stories told to organise social mores and the events and rules that they perceive as vital to a society, such as the rites of passage, crops, hierarchies, war, peace etc.

In my opinion, we'll get no exact fulfilment for the prophecies as we see them on the page. I doubt it that GRRM will give simple closure to anything, let alone prophecies of any kind. Of course I know magic exists in that universe in the shape of manipulation of natural forces, of life force, even. It is a sort of hyper-integration of nature and it looks as though most religions there make some use of it (the religion of the Seven being the one most removed from natural aspects and more closely related to social archetypes) and I do think that whatever comes close to being the fulfilment of one or more prophecies, will just be the mark of the beginning of a new cycle and, as I said before, great changes usually have some sort of leadership figure or figures. Also, I really really doubt there'll be any salvation per se. Of anything, really. It looks like everything is pointing towards major massacre and whatever redemption happens will probably be bittersweet, to say the least. It already is like that, pretty much. Some characters are so tragic that I think it would be completely off key to just give them salvation. Theon is the most obvious example. Of course most of us (secretly or not) want to see revenge for the Starks and Theon+Jeyne to kill Ramsay and for Sansa to get rid of Petyr (or something. That one's controversial eh) and so on, as well as Jon getting to feel less like a bastard and proving his worth (which, in my book, he's already proven). I just don't think all will be roses: the world is already beyond saving and not everything can be avenged. BUT I do still believe we'll have loads of answers to our questions. Can't wait.

I think it's Jon and have for a while. Mostly for circumstantial reasons, although ADWD gave us a little more as noted in this thread.

Without knowing anything else, Jon has seemed like an extremely important character in the series right from the start. Moreso than his other half-siblings. But, as we read and get more hints...

The R+L=J theory for one. The significance of what Rhaegar discovered in his readings, specifically as it related to his offspring, is hinted at in the series. The Starks seem to be the primary family in the series, with something more to them than we've discovered to date. The series is called a Song of Ice and Fire. All the clues and hints in the text would suggest that a child of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark would have extreme importance to the story of Ice and Fire.

Also, if you believe Lightbringer to be a real sword, I would expect AA come again to be someone who had proven to be adept at using a sword. Jon has. Not so much with Dany. Has she ever held a sword?

Don't forget to add that Ser Patrek was the 'bleeding star' during Jon's stabbing.

Actually he had bleeding stars on him which is interesting because the first time Mel mentions the prophesy it's connected to the flaming sword and she says when the stars bleed, the second time about the dragons she says when the red star bleeds. Then you have Tyrion later in ADWD talking about the red priest would get confused if there was more than one "hero" of their prophesy which leads me to believe Jon or Dany is the ptwp and the other is AA

Actually he had bleeding stars on him which is interesting because the first time Mel mentions the prophesy it's connected to the flaming sword and she says when the stars bleed, the second time about the dragons she says when the red star bleeds. Then you have Tyrion later in ADWD talking about the red priest would get confused if there was more than one "hero" of their prophesy which leads me to believe Jon or Dany is the ptwp and the other is AA

They will get even more confused if they hear that some adherents on Westeros believe Stannis is a candidate too. It could get pretty interesting if a large number of characters go in the Rhaegar direction and start acting in clashing ways based on beliefs in the same few set of prophecies. It would be on a larger scale and more chaotic scale than what happened with Rhaegar's secret obsession.

Can you provide the direct quote from the book? I'm mighty interested in seeing where you got this...

ACOK, Chapter 10 (Davos)

Melisandre was robed all in scarlet satin and blood velvet, her eyes as red as the great ruby that

glistened at her throat as if it too were afire. “In ancient books of Asshai it is written that there will come

a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world.

In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be

Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the

darkness shall flee before him.” She lifted her voice, so it carried out over the gathered host. “Azor Ahai,

beloved of R’hllor! The Warrior of Light, the Son of Fire! Come forth, your sword awaits you! Come

forth and take it into your hand!”

ACOK, Chapter 10 (Davos)

Melisandre was robed all in scarlet satin and blood velvet, her eyes as red as the great ruby that

glistened at her throat as if it too were afire. “In ancient books of Asshai it is written that there will come

a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world.

In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be

Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the

darkness shall flee before him.” She lifted her voice, so it carried out over the gathered host. “Azor Ahai,

beloved of R’hllor! The Warrior of Light, the Son of Fire! Come forth, your sword awaits you! Come

forth and take it into your hand!”

Oh, I get it. You are saying the warrior who pulls the Lightbringer out of the fire, and Azor Ahai reborn are two different people. You are saying Mormont is the warrior who pulled longclaw (which you say is the red sword of heroes) and later gave it to Jon Snow making the bastard Azor Ahai come again. Well, that's a unique way of looking at the prophecy....

I thought the "red star bleeds" was the comet.

Jon will be cured by Melisandre when she uses fire to heal his wounds, much in the same way as Moqorro healed Victarion.

Daenerys is Azor Ahai and the Prince(ss) that was promised, just as Maester Aemon thought.

Jon will be one head of the dragon, and I believe his sword will burn like Lightbringer. I'm thinking all three heads of the dragon will have burning swords.

It could be that Azor Ahai is three people...a three headed dragon.

I wanted to add that I don't think Azor Ahai or the Prince(ss) that was promised has to be a follower of R'hllor. The religion predicted the savior, but it doesn't mean that the savior is a believer.

Oh, I get it. You are saying the warrior who pulls the Lightbringer out of the fire, and Azor Ahai reborn are two different people. You are saying Mormont is the warrior who pulled longclaw (which you say is the red sword of heroes) and later gave it to Jon Snow making the bastard Azor Ahai come again. Well, that's a unique way of looking at the prophecy....

Well, I'm not saying it must be that way, but it definitely can be interpreted like that. (While I just don't see Dany as any sort of warrior, sorry. Even if she has woken up those dragons, and "pulled them out of the fire", this profecy doesn't fit.)

Well, I'm not saying it must be that way, but it definitely can be interpreted like that. (While I just don't see Dany as any sort of warrior, sorry. Even if she has woken up those dragons, and "pulled them out of the fire", this profecy doesn't fit.)

I highly doubt the prophecy can ever be interpreted that way, to be honest...

1. If longclaw is the Lightbringer, why doesn't it emit any heat (Lightbringer is a burning sword, after all)?

2. Was Longclaw drawn from a fire?

I highly doubt the prophecy can ever be interpreted that way, to be honest...

1. If longclaw is the Lightbringer, why doesn't it emit any heat (Lightbringer is a burning sword, after all)?

2. Was Longclaw drawn from a fire?

I concur. This was initially the reason Maester Aemon didn't believe that Stannis was wielding Lightbringer. Because he could not feel the heat coming out of the sword.

For those who missed it....

The point about the capital 's' (Snow vs. snow) is that many of us (the readers) probably misread this detail the first time, and mistakenly believed that Melisandre's visions of Stannis were being blocked somehow by the blizzard. The capial 's' shows that this is not the case. It implies a proper noun, i.e. a name, thus it refers to a character whose last name is Snow.

Why not Ramsay Snow then? That would be a twist

Why is everyone so convinced Mel will use fire magic to cure Jon? I think if there is need of a body resurrection that it will more likely be blood magic related. There is no way Jon will convert to the Red God and his whole story line has consisted of him trying to avoid having anything to do with it / being indebted to Mel. Mel may want this to play out...but I see a MMD/Drogo blood sacrifice happening here...the difference being Jon's mind is kept intact inside of Ghost because he is a warg so he isn't a veggie like Drogo was...

Moving into crackpot territory - they find a dragon egg in Lyanna's tomb and put it in the fire with Bowen Marsh...:P Yea it won't be full grown, but Jon the unburnt/father of dragons would sure shut Dany up...hahaha.

Eh, I think the only thing that Jon has on Dany as an AA candidate is the 'All I see is Snow' bit from Mel's chapter, which I admit is pretty strong. But the parallels from the Jon assassination scene just do not hold up to Dany's equivalent moment (funeral pyre) - eg. Ser Patrek owns his very existence and manner of death to a sports bet GRRM lost, and his heraldry appears to be based on team colours of an NFL team...

That being said, I hope the prophecy crashes and burns anyway.

Archived