Book Spoilers - Which duel/fight are you most looking forward to?

King of the Road

So, there are many duels in the books, and the TV series has, in my opinion, done very well so far in portraying them, with The Hound vs The Mountain being my favourite so far. Which ones are you most looking forward to?

1. The Red Viper vs The Mountain

I think this one'll be on a lot of people's lists, I'm really looking forward to brains and speed vs brute strength. The stuff going on in the background will look great in the TV series, I can't wait to see the reactions from Peter Dinklage, Charles Dance and Lena Headey.

2. Ser Barristan Selmy vs Khrazz

I admit it. I'm a Barristan fan. I was overjoyed when I got to this part in the books, as after so much hype, we finally got to see the legend in action. This scene only raised my expectations of him.

3. Bronn vs Ser Balman Byrch

I may be cheating with this one. Whilst we don't see this in the books, with HBO giving Bronn more screen time, I'm anticipating we see something similar in the series, with perhaps a Kettleblack in the role of Ser Balman. I'll be a happy man so long as we see some ingenious tactics from Bronn!

4. Jaime Lannister vs Brienne of Tarth

I thought this was surprisingly well written in the books, and I'm wondering if that'll translate onto the screen. These two are both outstanding swordsmen, and it''ll certainly make for a well choreographed scene.

5. Sandor Clegane vs Beric Dondarrion.

If done right, this will be nothing short of epic. The flames in the dark environment should look spectacular, and Rory McCann and Maisie Williams will surely keep up their stellar acting performances to make this one of the standout scenes of S3.

1 was unbelievable in the books but I fear it may be a disappointment in the tv show as S2 Gregor Clegane is not physically imposing enough. Hopefully they change the actor again but I doubt it.

2. Should be good, although it was a bit of a mismatch in the books as Selmy was wearing armour. Would like to see Dany's husband (not spelling that name!) cowering in fear.

3. Would like to see it but not particularly bothered if its skipped

4. A key scene, definitely looking forward to it.

5. This was another epic battle. Would be a great way to end an episode. Was a bit disappointed with Martin's use of Beric after that - he was an interesting character.

Sandor vs Beric on the duel side, definitely. When reading books for the first time, I forget a lot of detail about certain events and characters, but I could in no way forget the powerful presence and atmosphere when Beric pulled out his flaming sword. This has the potential to make everyone stop and say "man, could the fights ever get better than this?" about midway this season. I'd love to see them play on Sandor's fear of fire as well, playing into the whole Red God thing.

Honestly, Viper vs Mountain is not that spectacular, aside from the way Oberyn moves and Sandor's finisher. I actually really hate the stupid repeated dialogue here, since I immediately got the reference. Wasn't subtle at all, and the situation is more about Tyrion than anything. It could be really neat, so long as they really play on the Mountain's brutality and Tyrion's shock.

As for battles, I'm not expecting the Battle of the Wall to be super grand, though I am looking forward to it. Capturing Meereen though just has to be shown. It's such a cool concept and honestly wouldn't require that much of showing the fight, instead more of a stealthy undermining of the city's defenses. That will be great, I bet you.

I am looking forward to the Battle of Castle Black and the Red Wedding. Though I feel both will not translate well to the TV series. I think the Battle of Castle Black will have heavy use of CGI thus being downplayed a lot in the series... Which really sucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Beric vs Hound is one of those scenes I've wanted to see since the show started. It's up there with Quent freeing he dragons as a 'MUST NOT EFF DIS UP!!!' for me. Excited as shit for this one.

I agree the infiltration of Meereen would be very cool if shown, with the 'lizard lions' and everything.

I'm also really looking forward to Stannis' ride into the wildings. I'm thinking slow mo, aerial shot right before the clash, Stannis way the shit out front, the whole deal. Go-for-broke fantasy epicness.

Looking forward to seeing Brienne of Tarth vs old mate Kingslayer.

I really look forward to seeing more battles such as the Wall and Mereen. Even though it wasn't for real, I'd like to see Mance vs Lord Snow.

And seeing Arya and the Hound take down those bastards will be amazing.

The best melee in the whole of SoS is Arya and the Hounds chaotic fight at the tavern.

Arya has shown real grit up to this point, but she really gets fed up with things and makes two killings, I hope they keep this edge because it is important.

Plus we have the odd turn of her helping the Hound.

So, there are many duels in the books, and the TV series has, in my opinion, done very well so far in portraying them, with The Hound vs The Mountain being my favourite so far. Which ones are you most looking forward to?

1. The Red Viper vs The Mountain

I think this one'll be on a lot of people's lists, I'm really looking forward to brains and speed vs brute strength. The stuff going on in the background will look great in the TV series, I can't wait to see the reactions from Peter Dinklage, Charles Dance and Lena Headey.

2. Ser Barristan Selmy vs Khrazz

I admit it. I'm a Barristan fan. I was overjoyed when I got to this part in the books, as after so much hype, we finally got to see the legend in action. This scene only raised my expectations of him.

3. Bronn vs Ser Balman Byrch

I may be cheating with this one. Whilst we don't see this in the books, with HBO giving Bronn more screen time, I'm anticipating we see something similar in the series, with perhaps a Kettleblack in the role of Ser Balman. I'll be a happy man so long as we see some ingenious tactics from Bronn!

4. Jaime Lannister vs Brienne of Tarth

I thought this was surprisingly well written in the books, and I'm wondering if that'll translate onto the screen. These two are both outstanding swordsmen, and it''ll certainly make for a well choreographed scene.

5. Sandor Clegane vs Beric Dondarrion.

If done right, this will be nothing short of epic. The flames in the dark environment should look spectacular, and Rory McCann and Maisie Williams will surely keep up their stellar acting performances to make this one of the standout scenes of S3.

All the ones you mentioned above, especially Jaime vs Brienne!!!!

I don't care what changes will take place in the next season as far as I care they can do anything they like as long as they keep the bear pti scene: Brienne and Jaime vs the bear. In my opinion the best fight in the whole series. Brienne has a wooden sword, Jaime has only his left hand and the bear is the bear.

And of course crilppled Jaime trying to exercise with Addam and Ser Ilyn.

Sandor and Arya at the Crossroads Inn. I am still holding out hope Arya kills Polliver, Tickler-style. And Sandor has to say this one is yours, she-wolf.

It's really a desperate fight and Arya really makes the difference , remember she kill's the annoying squire too.

I hope they keep that.

Actually the Dog has started to call her She-Wolf ever before this fight.

They have such straight forward gritty adventures....

her attitude towards him starts to change, remember she thinks of killing him with his axe, but she does not, she thinks of getting away from him on the young mare they find, she does not.

When they find the dying soldier , who Sandor gives grace, he gives her his knife.

Later when she leaves him to 'die'(unknown result there), and he does ask her for grace, she does not (and act of vengeance or something else?) he vanishes from her vengeance chant and she wonders why.

The Dog and She-Wolf may meet again.

On totally different terms.

Later when she leaves him to 'die'(unknown result there), and he does ask her for grace, she does not (and act of vengeance or something else?) he vanishes from her vengeance chant and she wonders why.

Sandor and Arya, I could watch all day. I hope they keep it all in.

If we look at everything leading up to that, she doesn't really want to kill him.

When she thinks about it:

Whichever it was, his eyes opened, his mouth twitched, and he took the rock away from her as if she were a baby. The best she could do was kick him. “I’ll give you that one,” he said, when he flung the rock into the bushes.

She knows he's not going to hurt her:

Arya didn’t think he’d really cut her tongue out; he was just saying that the way Pinkeye used to say he’d beat her bloody.

She doesn't try to kill him after he saves her life:

One night I’ll kill him in his sleep, she told herself, but she never did.

He even gives her a knife:

The Hound hefted the knife in his hand, then flipped it toward Arya.

Then at the Inn, she sees he's lost it, and comes to his defense:

The Hound’s own cuts were sloppier, his parries rushed, his feet slow and clumsy. He’s drunk, Arya realized with dismay. He drank too much too fast, with no food in his belly.

They're killing him.

She doesn't name him in her list anymore:

She had left his name out too, she realized. Why had she done that?

He passes out and she could ride away, but instead she dresses his wounds, and finally admits, she just doesn't want to kill him anymore:

I wouldn’t have to kill him.

I take this as a sign the Tickler-style Polliver fight will take place (he's the one that has it on the show, too):

Shortest principle sword: NEEDLE

http://www.makinggam...he-numbers.html

Then at the Inn, she sees he's lost it, and comes to his defense:

She doesn't name him in her list anymore:

He passes out and she could ride away, but instead she dresses his wounds, and finally admits, she just doesn't want to kill him anymore:

I take this as a sign the Tickler-style Polliver fight will take place (he's the one that has it on the show, too):

http://www.makinggam...he-numbers.html

It's odd it is not? He figures out what is happening at the Twins and knows his ransom is lost. Yet , it's a pretty brute force way of doing it, he rescues her.

And hasn't he already stared calling her she-wolf , a grudging term of respect if not some kind of tortured term of endearment.

In the books I can't remember her engaging him once at KL, tho she sees him several times. Unlike Sansa no interaction at all except that he knows who she it.

George presents us with a mystery ... but not for the first time!

Arya's travels with the Dog is one of the best written arcs in SoS.

Conan Stevens wanted to return as Gregor but couldnt due to a scheduling clash!

It all depends wether the new actor is contracted to play Gregor in successive seasons (which I suspect he will be as HBO wont want to have to replace the Gregor Clegane actor for a 2nd time)

Lord! The Hobbit can't go on forever! Yeah, I know it seems like it!

Stevens should be available for season 4... but yee never know.

Archived