Crackpot theory on Jaime Lannister

BlueEyedCrow

I really don't see Jaime getting his hand back, magical or otherwise.

It's way to important for his character development, but i'm waiting till he smashes someones face with that golden fist :box:

I think Jaime might use that golden hand to bribe some BwB member - if they actually manage to catch him. Or have Brienne deliver it to Stoneheart as proof that he is dead.

Jaime will realize that he doesn't need it - and get a steel hook instead.

Hm, I don't see how getting a hand back would undo his willingness to do good deeds, disappointment in Cersei and realising that using brains from time to time is indeed a good idea

However, I am much more fond of the idea of Jaime eventually learning to fight just as well with his left side. GRRM likes his characters to do things the hard way

Jaime lost his hand, which began his self reflection and sends him down the path of redemption.

Bran was thrown out of a tower, which opened his third eye and sends him down the path towards becoming a greenseer.

Bran doesn't need to repeatedly fall out of windows to continue on the path he is on. Even if his legs magically started working again, he will spend the rest of his life in a cave in the lands of always winter.

If Jaime's hand magically regains function, he will use it to choke Cersei to death. Not to fingerblast her.

THIS...ROR!

Wow, we have read the books incredibly differently. I say that the moment Catelyn became Stoneheart she lost all trace of humanity. She started killing people without trial because of their name or their association. I mean, what did Pod ever do? She might have become a 'mother' to these desolate young men... but a woman who uses them for her own vengeance. Unlike some people on the forums, I don't believe every Frey deserves to die - and that seems to be all of Stoneheart's mission.

Seriously?

Catelyn was a terrible person from the beginning

Just because Ned was good certainly doesn't make his wife good by association

Cat caused all kinds of grief. We know she was with Littlefinger (and even gave up her virginity). We know she was mad harsh towards Jon (who for all intents is the hero of the series). We know she gives Rob bad advice and releases Jamie. We know she was useless with the Renly - Stannis negotiations (and in some ways can even be argued she made the fued worse). We know she takes advantage of Brienne (at least twice, and she used her to get Jamie back). etc

Seriously?

Catelyn was a terrible person from the beginning

Just because Ned was good certainly doesn't make his wife good by association

Cat caused all kinds of grief. We know she was with Littlefinger (and even gave up her virginity). We know she was mad harsh towards Jon (who for all intents is the hero of the series). We know she gives Rob bad advice and releases Jamie. We know she was useless with the Renly - Stannis negotiations (and in some ways can even be argued she made the fued worse). We know she takes advantage of Brienne (at least twice, and she used her to get Jamie back). etc

Cat wasn't a terrible person. She was just ambitious beyond her ability level, was full of double standards (pretty much to her natural end) and made very irrational emotional decisions when logical ones were required.

As for Littlefinger. Yes she was stupid to trust him (it ended up getting Eddard killed and started the whole war) but they had been close once. I don't think he took her maidenhead though. But I do believe he THINKS he did, hence why he tells that story. He was blind drunk, slept with Lysa and thought he was sleeping with Cat.

I don't think Baelish thinks he had sex with Cat, he's not that stupid. All the events in the aftermath, theres no way Lysa never mentioned it. Baelish bragged about having both their maidenheads, so if he thinks that he got cats that night then he would think he didn't get Lysa's. I think that will be Baelishes downfall, he never got cat. I think he is barely able to resist raping Sansa, and I think she will figure it out and use it against him.

Jamie losing his hand is given a chance to redeem himself. He is thinking out his relationship with his entire family. The fact that he did not run to Cersi proves he is on a different path. And, he keeps thinking of Brienne and questioning his attraction to her. The attraction is her loyalty and he is living the life he wished for himself through Brienne. The moment the two of them meet up with the BWB and UnCat will be very telling for both of them. It will be pivotal to both characters. What Jamie has evolved to and what Brienne has always been. Brienne is truly loyal to whom she pledges her sword and Jamie is learning what it is to be a true Knight.

In chapter 43, A clash of kings. Jon thinks about information on Qhorin Halfhand. I dont have the exact quote, but the wiki says.

"Because of this, he was forced to train himself how to fight left-handed and became just as proficient with his left hand as he had been with his right."

Very similar to what Jamie begins with in A feast for Crows.

I don't think Jamie will join the BWD, but i think alot about how good he may become, fighting left-handed.

I think Jaime will be executed by Cat or Brynden (who may be with the BWB) then revived by Cat. Beric when revived bore all his injuries (eyepatch etc) so I don't think his hand will be healed.

I also think both Jaime and Victarion foreshadow Jon Snow's reveal as the "true" hero of the series, or rather as the balance between opposing forces.

Jon burnt his hand defending the prior LC from a wight. Then there's:

Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist.

Ned + Tywin + Brienne/Jaime can be taken as a symbolic symmetry of the Lightbringer tale, as other posters have pointed out. Oathkeeper could then a symmetry of Jon Snow's vows (because I also agree that the highest level symmetry of Lightbringer is actually the Night's Watch itself). A lot of this needs UnCat's involvement to complete the strange jigsaw.

And finally Qhorin Halfhand as a mentor.

While Cat is far from being a favorite character of mine, I feel some of these comments are a bit unfair.

Cat is/was terribly judgmental and more than a bit of a snob. She's wa-a-y too implusive - her kidnapping

of Tyrion being a prime example. That's when the shit really hit the fan and she gave no thought to the giant

headache she was creating for Ned as Hand of the King. She certainly helped kickstart events but she was

basing her actions on Littlefinger's lies - the one about the dragonbone knife and Lysa's secret message

that Jon Arryn had been killed by the Lannisters. Littlefinger is still the prime mover of what follows and if

she made a mistake in trusting Littlefinger....well, so did Ned.

Her treatment of Jon was unattractive to say the least. But she didn't kill him like Cersei thought she should

have. He had three squares a day and grew up side by side with his supposed siblings. No woman would be

keen to raise her husband's bastard with her own children and Ned was supposed to be a saint, not a skirt-

chaser like Robert. Having the living, breathing evidence of your husband's one infidelity in your view day

and night for fifteen years might sour a better nature than Cat's. And it didn't help that he looked more like

Ned than most of his legitimate children.

Far from giving Robb continual bad advice, I seem to remember she told him NOT to send Theon to his

father. She spoke more than once about bending the knee, that they didn't have to keep on fighting, it

wouldn't bring Ned back but it might give them back the girls. Robb's callous disregard for his sisters'

well-being (he seems to think of both of them as dead from the get go) has as much to do with Cat's

release of Jaime as her grief over Bran and Rickon. She gets him embroiled with the Freys but Robb

wanted to cross that river and the Freys controlled the only means of doing so. If anything, she lets Robb

have too much of his own way...but the GreatJon opened his stupid trap and made Robb King of the North

and there was no keeping Robb down on the farm after that. She was her son's enabler...but so was pretty

much the rest of the North by that point except Roose Bolton.

As for her alliance mission to Stannis and Renly, yeah, her speaking to the brothers as if they were a couple

of quarrelling little boys wasn't very diplomatic but they WERE acting like a couple of quarreling little boys.

Mommy instincts never truly go away. Henry Kissinger couldn't have brokered a peace deal between those

two arrogant Baratheons. Renly had the troop strength and Stannis had Melisandre (and her smoke baby)

waiting in the wings. Stannis saw Robb as just one more usurper and Renly might have come to some sort

of deal with Robb but first he wanted to impress Robb's mother with the size of his enormous army. Only he

dies first.

So cut Cat and UnCat some slack! Though in large parts a somewhat unpleasant person, she loved her

husband and her children and was trying to protect them. Her actions had the opposite effect by and large

and I think that if is this realization that leads to her madness. So a little pity, people. We forgive Cersei some-

what for her much worse actions because she loves her children and is trying to protect them. I know Cat is

just a literary character but think about sins and casting stones. If no one ever made a mistake in the ASoIaF

world, we wouldn't be sitting around waiting...and waiting.....and waiting for the next book. The whole thing

could have been wrapped up in aGoT.

I personally subscribe to the theory of Brienne or Jaime = the Last Hero and that the end of the series is going to somehow see a conclusion to the fight between Jaime and Bran.

This thread made me realize that both characters are crippled (no duh but wait for it). Whereas Bran has become bitter and very evil about his misfortune Jaime is instead taking his misfortune as a chance to reassess and become a better person. One is very clearly taking evil actions (possessing humans, possible cannibalism) while the other is clearly taking good actions. How a character handles adversity is usually how we define heroism and good.

I don't see Jaime getting his hand back or becoming the leader of the Brotherhood but I could see Brienne (who embodies pretty much everything the Brotherhood respects) leading them with Jaime as her Aegon.

I like this theory... I just want Cat dead for good... I was seriously angered when I discovered she was still alive after SoS, and now that I came to have a liking for Jaime it would be nice if that hateful woman just dies for Jaime to recover his good hand.

But, I don't remember that Thoros magic could grow new limbs. Jaime's hand was not injured like Victarion's, it was cut.

No, Thoros' magic doesn't grow limbs - it doesn't even fix what is broken. Not completely. Dondarrion's every death left physical traces. Stoneheart's throat is still cut. And then there is the damage from 3 days of rotting.

I don't understand the obsession with Jaime's hand. Jaime has been learning to cope with one hand. He is close to realizing that he is more than just a sword hand, that he doesn't need the hand he has lost. If he is offered his sword hand back, I hope the offer comes attached to a heavy price - like sacrificing Cersei and the children, or betraying Brienne and the Lannister host.

I could see Stoneheart giving him such a choice. I just can't see Stoneheart being part of the price.

I have my own little pet theory on a possible resolution to Stoneheart's murderous vengeance; Bran. Correct me if I am wring, but I am pretty sure there are Weirwoods on the Hollow Hill which is a kind of "home" for the Brotherhood. Bran has been seeing through the Weirwoods, and as we know from BR, he cannot talk to the living through the trees. But wait! Catelyn is in fact, not living; she is undead. Could Bran see his mother through the tree, and get her to end her vengeance? It's a possibility.

(As a side note, I also got images of Brienne leading Jamie to a place where the Hound (Lem Lemoncloak) sat by a tree with Sansa (Podrick as a girl) so as not to make Jamie uneasy. But that's unimportant...and funny. Pod in a dress!) :lmao:

Jamie's capture at the wispering wood and then later his campaign to restore the King's peace, to me, shows that he's a better peacetime Commander than wartime.

I would love to see his hand reanimated but just can't see it happening. Jamie's real value isn't in his sword hand(s) it's the man himself. He's like a key to every enemy's door, dress the BwB up in crimson, set Jamie at the head and he can walk right into the Twins or Winterfell for that matter. His solid gold hand will make him recognizable even to feild hands who've never seen him.

Stoneheart may not be sane enough to see this advantage past her hatred but I wouldn't be surprised if she is.

Jamie's capture at the wispering wood and then later his campaign to restore the King's peace, to me, shows that he's a better peacetime Commander than wartime.

I would love to see his hand reanimated but just can't see it happening. Jamie's real value isn't in his sword hand(s) it's the man himself. He's like a key to every enemy's door, dress the BwB up in crimson, set Jamie at the head and he can walk right into the Twins or Winterfell for that matter. His solid gold hand will make him recognizable even to feild hands who've never seen him.

Stoneheart may not be sane enough to see this advantage past her hatred but I wouldn't be surprised if she is.

Jaime appears to be on a redemptive arc but how does he get past the reanimated Catelyn especially after their conversation in the dungeon at Riverrun?

After Jaime loses his hand, he feels as if he is nothing without his sword hand. He later realizes that he is indeed someone thanks in part to Brienne reminding him that people have worse lots in life and still find a way to survive. His sword hand was an illusion, as he is more than just a fighter. What that "more" is, I could not begin to tell you, but I do sense there is some sort of epic redemptive arc in his future.

I can see Jaime regaining a hand (a hand made of gold, specifically). But I think by the time he regains it, he realizes he does not need it. Jaime's whole arc has been uncovering the false truths of his life. He is slowly beginning to realize that his relationship with Cersei had less to do with love and more to do with her machinations and manipulations. He has realized that he has a purpose in life beyond just being a good fighter. He is still a warrior at heart and desires to die a warrior's death, but it is more than just dying on the battlefield. I think Jaime will eventually want to die for something more than just himself and his own glory. Whether that involves dying to save Brienne, dying to save one of the Stark children or dying for something else entirely I have no idea.

Personally: I'd love to see Jaime die with the Night's Watch, assuming there is a Night's Watch left to die for. He has served the most "honorable" of Knightly organizations only to mock the other Knightly organization that has lost all its glamor, yet holds a more important purpose. I see that being more fitting for him.

Whether he gets his hand back is kind of irrelevant in the end.

I like this theory... I just want Cat dead for good... I was seriously angered when I discovered she was still alive after SoS [...]

But she wasn't .... she, or it, was and is still dead. It is an animated corpse, motivated by a dark spirit ... a "shadow"...

But yeah. Like Dracula, or Lucy, or Carmilla, she needs to be put down.

Archived