Enough Already!

Winter's Knight

Wow, I never thought you were one of them.

You know, we did manage to find a great deal more "evidence" for Nedbert than at least 63% of the theories that get tossed around on here.

Yeah I've had enough of this too. So what if shy guy Neddie likes to think of his best friend forever as being muscled up like a eddard's fantasy or how muscle Bob looks in leather chaps? There are hundreds of men in the books thinking of other men in the same way. There's Loras and his talk of sunsets and candles. There's Jon Connington wanting to run his hands through Rhaegars super silky silver hair.

Anything about "XY is a secret Targ/Stark/FM/Ashara Dayne/Hodor/whoever". Is there anybody who is just who he claims to be?

Any statement that is reasoned by "prophecy said so". I always want to do the Monty Python Holy Grail's constitutional peasant.

Any argument argument about army sizes or qualities where I post a list of hints/proof mentioned in the books and the poster doesn't seem to have read it before posting total bullshit. :bang:

Anything about the Dothraki being a serious threat to anything more capable than two shepherds and their dog.

Exactly, the sheer image of Tyrion trying to get on a dragon is completely and utterly ridiculous for all the wrong reasons.

I'd like to see Tyrion cartwheeling atop a dragon. It would be less ridiculous than him summersaulting off the roof. Martin went a little too far with Tyrion's acrobatic skills. (Not saying I want Tyrion to be a dragon rider, just interested in how GRRM would get him on a dragon after spending four books explaining how Tyrion's legs barely hold him up)

-"Aegon is legit!" People, Aegon is fake, and Illyrio is not Rhaegar.

This so much.

And the vehemence with which it is defended boggles the mind. I mean, I just don't see how one could be such an avid fan of a character that doesn't even appear until book 5 when there are dozens of characters we've been invested in for thousands of pages. Oh, well. To each their own :dunno:

The Dany is fireproof thing really grinds my gears (especially when the show is used as evidence). But thanks to Apple Martini it doesn't appear quite so often anymore.

Yes, it's an obvious, natural progression from "challenging childhood inducing brotherly closeness" to descriptions of said companion as a "horned god."

What is so strange about the term "horned god". Robert was the hero of the Trident and wore a horned helmet. Seeing him obese and whoremongering must be a shock to anyone who saw him that day on the Trident

I have a brother, and I'd never think of describing him as being "muscled like a maiden's fancy", "a horned god" with "eyes blue and clear as mountain lakes".

Well clearly he isn't and clearly you're not from Westeros -.-

Ned was just thinking about how handsome Robert used to be compared to what he became, it doesn't mean he wants to have sex with him.

Any posts of the Superman versus Captain Marvel sort regarding the fighting ability of two characters who will never meet, and at least one of whom is dead.

Regarding shipping: either all should be allowed or none.

And, not topical, but any posts from someone whose forum name should be Kent Reeder-Wright.

If I say that a girl or woman is beautiful or sexy or has a great body, does that make me a lesbian? Of course not. It is just something I acknowledge. Ned knew many girls were attracted to Robert. It would be weird if he didn't say something about it, even more because he himself wasn't such a 'horned god'. ;)

lol. No no, it's just that there are some rather unfortunately written descriptions from Ned's POV that are a bit more "poetic" than perhaps is necessary. It really lends itself to being a bit more "festively" interpreted.

Its an odd choice of words, granted.

That's really the issue- it's just a bizarre way of describing someone. But the hilarious thing is that a bunch of people came on the thread to insist that they themselves might describe their friends in this way as some sort of "proof" against Nedbert.

Just to be clear, yes the content of the thread was specifically kind of a "gay witch hunt," but I think the big "takeaway" from it is really how easy it is to purposely misread the text and construct really intricate arguments about almost anything in the series. It was really more of a parody of the way most of us interpret and analyze all these theories in a highly researched and serious manner than being about Ned and Robert's torrid love affair (which, for the record, I don't actually believe they had sex together, thought about having sex together, or even thought about having sex while in the same room).

Yeah I've had enough of this too. So what if shy guy Neddie likes to think of his best friend forever as being muscled up like a eddard's fantasy or how muscle Bob looks in leather chaps? There are hundreds of men in the books thinking of other men in the same way. There's Loras and his talk of sunsets and candles. There's Jon Connington wanting to run his hands through Rhaegars super silky silver hair.

I'm not sure if you're joking, but Loras and Jon Con are actually gay. Which is why when Ned says something similar, it's very easy to purposely misread the text and make a case for Nedbert. Which stands up to more scrutiny textually, mind you, than the theories about Varys being a gumkin, that Benjen was executed not Ned and Ned's actually in the land of always winter, that Mance is Rhaegar, etc etc.

What is with the opposition against same sex romance? Didn't anyone opposed to these ideas ever have a sexual encounter/crush with their childhood buddy? Studies and surveys and slashfic seem to indicate that it's pretty freaking common. Hell, I grew up in a very conservative, bible-thumping town where gays were the devil and I don't know anyone who didn't kiss, crush, masturbate or at least play doctor (equivalent of Come into my Castle?) with their best friend, who was usually of the same gender. Why is it so strange to consider that Robert and Ned experimented and the memory stayed with at least Ned?

What is so strange about the term "horned god". Robert was the hero of the Trident and wore a horned helmet. Seeing him obese and whoremongering must be a shock to anyone who saw him that day on the Trident

Wiki tells me that:

The Horned God is one of the two primary deities found in some neopagan religions. He is often given various names and epithets, and represents the male part of the religion's duotheistic theological system, the other part being the female Triple Goddess or other Mother Goddess .In common Wiccan belief, he is associated with nature, wilderness, sexuality, hunting and the life cycle.

Marion Zimmer Bradley, who acknowledges the influence of Murray, uses the figure of the "horned god" in her feminist fantasy transformation of Arthurinian myth, Mists of Avalon (1984), and portrays ritualistic incest between King Arthur as the representative of the horned god and his sister Morgaine as the "spring maiden".

In addition, I think "horned god" is a euphamism for Pan.

Yep, I read the whole thread and really enjoyed it. Mostly because when I first read it I found it funny. However, a while back I realize during another thread (can't remember which) that some people really do believe it so that was a shocked revelation for me since I figured you were mostly joking around on the original thread. Since Ned and Cat are by far my favorite couple in the books NedBert is against all my beliefs :P

Threads in which the OP declares that he or she knows the theory they are putting forward is crackpot: 'Hey guys here's my crackpot theory haha I know it's stupid haha hear me out im probably wrong haha'. Stand by it dammit.

But..but...but I like making fun of my own crackpottery :dunno: I shall refrain from mocking my own endeavors at crazy next time :smug:

As to the OP, wow, there's so much, but the most annoying for me would be: What character are you most like? Most boring POV/chapter/book? Rhaegar or some other definitely dead character was glamored/still alive! and of course the never-ending Who is the best fighter/warrior stuff.

What is with the opposition against same sex romance?

It's nothing to do with homosexuality, more to do with making someone what they aren't based on very little evidence.

Didn't anyone opposed to these ideas ever have a sexual encounter/crush with their childhood buddy?

Nope.

Studies and surveys and slashfic seem to indicate that it's pretty freaking common. Hell, I grew up in a very conservative, bible-thumping town where gays were the devil and I don't know anyone who didn't kiss, crush, masturbate or at least play doctor (equivalent of Come into my Castle?) with their best friend, who was usually of the same gender.

o.0 You grew up in a strange place.

Why is it so strange to consider that Robert and Ned experimented and the memory stayed with at least Ned?

Why is it so strange to consider that they might just be perfectly straight?

lol. No no, it's just that there are some rather unfortunately written descriptions from Ned's POV that are a bit more "poetic" than perhaps is necessary. It really lends itself to being a bit more "festively" interpreted.

That's really the issue- it's just a bizarre way of describing someone. But the hilarious thing is that a bunch of people came on the thread to insist that they themselves might describe their friends in this way as some sort of "proof" against Nedbert.

Just to be clear, yes the content of the thread was specifically kind of a "gay witch hunt," but I think the big "takeaway" from it is really how easy it is to purposely misread the text and construct really intricate arguments about almost anything in the series. It was really more of a parody of the way most of us interpret and analyze all these theories in a highly researched and serious manner than being about Ned and Robert's torrid love affair (which, for the record, I don't actually believe they had sex together, thought about having sex together, or even thought about having sex while in the same room).

Which is why i dont have any trouble with it, until people start saying its true and a fact. I think Jon Conns story is great, and its fact and true, tragic and heroic. As i said anyway work away with it but some people take it as crede which is misleading and takes away from one of the great relationships, Ned and Cat. Pretty much i agree with Winterfellian

Archived