Sansa Stark, A Portrait of a Psychopath?

Morgemil

As do most of the characters.

There is an artform to naming these topics, isn't there. This one gets me every time. It's all about the crafting. Taking your title beyond the commonplace and steering it into the provocative, but without overshooting your target so much that your title becomes tacky or cliched. Or, if you want to win the Title of the Year award like this one did, you drive right on past absurdity into the realm of seriousness. that's what made this true genius. it was delivered seriously. like The Hobbit.

I think you're missing out on two of the best written characters in GRRM books, but that's just me.

Like button, where are thou?

according to my studies, psychopaths don't like lemon cakes.

This is what they want you to think!

Someone has finally found the truth about Sansa.

It shoudn't have been a surprise in a family where the father is known for child abuse (exposing 7 years old to extreme scenes of violence and all), and the mother a psychopath herself (as show her agression of a poor fool of the good Freys). But still I completely missed that... I'm just shocked...

By chance king Joffrey cancelled his wedding with Sansa and married Margaery. Just imagine : there could have been a psychopath on the throne !

Someone ownes me a new keyboard :-)

• 8 months later...

Is Sansa a psychopath?

Having read ASOIAF very soon after reading Jon Ronson's Psychopath Test, I came to this series with a dectective's eye. For a series with such a volume of murderer, rapists and deceiptful players, it is strange that of all of them I fixated on the young, and seemingly innocent Sansa.

The revelation that Sansa might be a psychopath, or psychopath in the making came when reading AGOT Chpt 29:Sansa, the chapter of the Tourney of the hand. Sansa, with her friend Jeyne Poole, witness the death of Ser Hugh of the Vale. Whilst Jeyne cries out/vomits* at the incident, Sansa looks at the dying chokes with a morbid curiosity. This struck me as frightenly similar to a quote from the criminal psychologist Robert. D Hare, telling Nicole Kidman how she might act out a psychopath:

"Here’s a scene you can use. You’re walking down a street and there’s an accident. A car has hit a child. A crowd of people gather round. You walk up, the child’s lying on the ground and there’s blood running all over the place. You get a little blood on your shoes and you look down and say, ‘Oh shit.’ You look over at the child, kind of interested, but you’re not repelled or horrified. You’re just interested. Then you look at the mother and you’re really fascinated by the mother, who’s emoting, crying out, doing all these different things. After a few minutes you turn away and go back to your house. You go into the bathroom and practice mimicking the facial expressions of the mother"

Now, given that Sansa has had the rigid discipline of a Septa guiding her for her pre-teenage years, I think it is fair to assume that she knows appropriate behaviour for most situations to 'fit in'. This would be in contrast to a more obvious psychopath, of say, Ramsay Bolton, who had a questionable upbringing, and struggles to act lordly man to befit his new name and title.

This structure in her youth makes other aspects of her potential diagnosis rather difficult to spot. Combine this with the fact that Sansa as yet has had little chance to display such tendencies, I wonder if this is a potential plot twist to her storyline in the upcoming installments?

Other instances you have noticed which would tally with Robert D. Hare's list, would be welcome.

* excuse my bad memory

Psychopath or not, I also noted the scene where Ser Hugh dies, and her reaction to it. Certain scenes reveal character better than others, and Sansa's thought processes and her emotional and empathic deficits were revealed beautifully in her reaction to that scene.

It's not even that she didn't react or get disgusted, it's her inner monologue about it. She isn't sad that Ser Hugh died - he's no one to her, she thinks. A stranger. But then she thinks, "Oh they'll never sing songs about him now." ie, he'll never become a player in her insane storybook version of the world. And THAT she finds sad. That's what the death of another human being means, to her.

Psychopath or not, she's a horrible person. But psychopath is likely true enough. But then all the Tully women we meet are a mix of crazy, stupid and evil, so why should Sansa (pure Tully, hardly any Stark imo) be different?

Archived