Why is Aegon referred to as "Prince" and not as "King"?

Volantis

There may be plenty of reasons for that. First the obvious fact that they kept Aegon's true identity a secret for most of his life. Calling him 'King' in private would have made this whole thing more difficult. Viserys styled himself Viserys III, but people in Westeros - even Targaryen loyalists - only referred to him as Prince Viserys. To claim the title and position of King you have to declare yourself openly, and Aegon still has to do this. Yes, Young Griff is gone, he is Prince Aegon now, but he will only be called King Aegon VI Targaryen once he washes his hair, dons his armor, and openly declares to the whole Realm who he is.

I guess this going to happen in the very beginning of TWoW after the Golden Company has taken Storm's End.

It will be interesting to see how Aegon's cause is going to be presented in the appendix of TWoW. He has to be among the sections of the various, but will he be called 'The Prince at Storm's End' or the 'The King at Storm's End'?

I guess this going to happen in the very beginning of TWoW after the Golden Company has taken Storm's End.

It will be interesting to see how Aegon's cause is going to be presented in the appendix of TWoW. He has to be among the sections of the various, but will he be called 'The Prince at Storm's End' or the 'The King at Storm's End'?

I think when Varys mentions him "raising his standard" over Storm's End this is what he means. Aegon will finally fly the dragon banner of House Targaryen and begin styling himself as King Aegon VI.

There may be plenty of reasons for that. First the obvious fact that they kept Aegon's true identity a secret for most of his life. Calling him 'King' in private would have made this whole thing more difficult. Viserys styled himself Viserys III, but people in Westeros - even Targaryen loyalists - only referred to him as Prince Viserys. To claim the title and position of King you have to declare yourself openly, and Aegon still has to do this. Yes, Young Griff is gone, he is Prince Aegon now, but he will only be called King Aegon VI Targaryen once he washes his hair, dons his armor, and openly declares to the whole Realm who he is.

The dead King, mayhaps?

• 2 years later...

Viserys styled himself Viserys III, but people in Westeros - even Targaryen loyalists - only referred to him as Prince Viserys.

He did that with reason, as his mother crowned him with all the needed ceremony on Dragonstone, before Dany was born.

I'm sure if (f)Aegon will get to King's Landing (most likely he will) we will see a coronation. I wonder what the High Sparrow will have to say to it, as it will devalue the ceremony if it's not him who puts the crown on him.

Archived