Straight up Poll - Jon dead or alive?

Bear Island Bruiser

Jon's body may have entered a state of clinical death after he warged Ghost. He definitely is going to remain in the story and very well may be resurrected if dead. However, the nature of whether his body is alive or merely wounded and unconscious matters for various reasons. Which happens would impact what the deal is going to be with his position as LC, his vows, where he goes, and the like. Another major reason why it matters is that resurrections always seem to have a huge cost in this series. It could be that his consciousness/soul is still present in Planetos through Ghost while the body is perishing.

It would be interesting to know how Coldhands came to be as that would shed light on whether a similar fate may befall Jon or not.

I find it so strange when people talk about the need to have a Kings blood to raise the stone dragon because as far as I can see it's already been done. Surely Khal Drogo's death to ressurect the dragons from their stone eggs is this? Can anyone tell me why there is any doubt on it?

It is difficult to be sure but it seems that some of the posts vaguely referring to the "stone dragon" must either be based on one of the scenes in a House of the Undying vision or on Melisandre's plan to awaken one/several of the stone dragon statues on Dragonstone. The indications are that such a stone beast, should it be animated, would not be a positive being. Neither of the two mentions of a stone dragon/creature actually refer to any kind of Targaryen person; both appear to point toward some kind of magical animal being.

It is very doubtful that Melisandre can raise a stone dragon at the Wall. She probably would have tried to get Mance sacrificed to do so if it could be done anywhere. Her plan specifically seemed to involve Dragonstone.

As you said, the pyre on which Drogo's body was burned already has led to the awakening or normal, fleshly dragons. However, although it is highly improbable that there will be more normal dragons, it is possible that there could end up being some kind of psuedo-dragon type of stone creature that is passed off as a legitimate dragon for a while.

As you said, the pyre on which Drogo's body was burned already has led to the awakening or normal, fleshly dragons. However, although it is highly improbable that there will be more normal dragons, it is possible that there could end up being some kind of psuedo-dragon type of stone creature that is passed off as a legitimate dragon for a while.

A dragon shadow-baby? "From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire."

Alive

I think he is in a Bran-like coma. The coma will allow his body to heal while giving Jon time to delve deeper into his warging capabilities.

I think the Sixskins prolouge was not there to show us how Jon can take over someone's body. Rather, I think it was there to show us that Jon taking over someone else's body will not happen. Bran wargs Hodor, but Hodor is docile and somewhat impaired. Hodor does not fight with the mental intensity shown in the ADWD prologue. You cannot (as far as we know) warg the dead. Therefore, if Jon returns, he will be in his body. However, the prologue did show us how someone's consciousness can continue on via warging.

The Red Resurrections that we have seen with Beric and Cat were not a true return of the person that was. Beric retained portions of his memories but lost more and more over time and # of resurrections. It is unclear how much Stoneheart recalls of who she used to be.

I think that Jon's "death scene" will be another instance of Mel's foolery blowing up in her face. From the App, it appears that Mel was well nigh obsessed with Jon, and did something to Ghost pre-stabbing. I think she has been trying desperately to force Jon to trust her. The attack is a way for her to prove her worth to Jon.

However, I feel that it will have unexpected consequences. Jon via his Stark/First Men blood will gain greater control of his abilities. (Bran, the one with the most control over his abilities, only gained such control while unconscious and not distracted.)

To me the real power at work here is Bloodraven/Bran/the Old Gods. (Mel is only there as a small time manipulator.) Bloodraven is a Targ with the blood of the First Men flowing in his veins. (I assume his blood still flows.) His mother's family (Blackwood) keeps the old gods. Bran is there as warg/greenseer. If Jon is to be used as some instrument of the war, it will be because of his placement at the head of the Watch and his abilities gained via his Stark heritage. I don't know that him being a Targ will factor in at all. I think the blood of the First Men is what is key. It was the First Men that made the pact with the Children of the Forest.

Standard practice on the Wall has become to burn the dead. The Wall has lost its Measter, and its Septon is something of a drunken fool. Would there be anyone there with sufficient medical knowledge to assess the fact that he is in a coma? They may try to burn him. I don't know that burning him will release a "real dragon" in the sense of Dany's dragons, but it may release the inner dragon in Jon. (I doubt this scenario though.)

I am sorry. I did what the OP told us not to. Oops!

A dragon shadow-baby? "From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire."

The description of the creature is very interesting. It sounds a lot like what would happen if Melisandre pulled off the scheme presented in ASOS. It is as if the stone beast was animated by a mix of shadowing binding and fire magic. Perhaps somehow a shadowy animating force, something like the shadow assassins in dragon form, would be what would bring such a thing to life.

• 1 month later...

Archived