Jaime predictions for WOW

Harald Hard-Ruler

Catelyn is traveling with two POVs, not one, and there is always the prologue and epilogue to consider; for all we know, the scene will be told via the POV of Genna Lannister.

The prologue is somewhat unlikely - Jaime/Brienne's encounter with UnCat has to happen before Freymageddon chronlogically, so I doubt that this would be her first appearance in the TWOW.

The epilogue seems rather late in the game.

I've already stated that I think that Brienne is the most likely POV for that particular chapter.

I can defintely see your scenario - keeping Jaime alive to witness the aftermath of the RW2.0 - mainly, because it's, as I said, psychologically plausible. I was just adressing the argument that he can't be killed because we need him as a POV for the RW2.0.

Cat was forced to watch her son die, it's not the strongest argument, but maybe she will let Jaime live long enough to see every person he loved being murdered. She knows that three people Jaime asked after when he was captive were his father and siblings. Two of those are out of reach, but Cersei...

I think there's no chance of Stoneheart trying to use Jaime somehow. First of all she doesn't have anything to use to force him (Jaime is still Jaime, he won't kill Cersei or harm his son's kingdom even for Brienne), and second of all, Stoneheart is all about revenge. Jaime crippled her son whom she still thinks is dead, probably thinks he had a part in killing Ned and Robb ("Jaime Lannister says Hi!" in red wedding) AND Cat herself is largely to blame for the red wedding because if she hadn't released Jaime, Tywin would never have dared attempting to kill Robb.

So I highly expect (and hope for) her to kill Jaime as soon as she can, and as slowly as possible, then Brienne for betraying her.

Also, for all the POV theorists, GRRM can just add any POV he wants even for one or two chapters, he already has. We could just have one chapter with Lem or Thoros or anyone really.

and how about :

sandor comes and saves jaime' ass by killing lady stoneheartand jaime helps the BWB to PREvent the deaths of his kin there

That would seem to me extremly out of character for everyone involved.

Why would Sandor save Jaime? He had a bit of a falling out with the Lannisters if I remember correctly...

And the BWB might well turn on UnCat sooner or later, but I still can't really see them protecting Freys and Lannisters....

Jamie survives the immediate aftermath of his reunion with Brienne, whatever that may be. GRRM may have proven himself willing to kill major characters, but it's always as a logical conclusion to the narrative arc of the character.

AGOT: the writing was on the wall for Robert and Viserys from their very first scenes. Ned's function was to act as a stock fantasy hero - albeit one better-conceived than most - to draw the reader into a bewilderingly complex world, and after that had been achieved he was surplus to requirements. Taking a step back, his fate was obvious given he was a man who lived and breathed medieval-esque discourses of chivalry and honour who found himself in an environment with people who refused to be constrained by those rules.

ACOK: one of Renly or Stannis had to go, and after the introduction given to Stannis (and the constant name-dropping in the first book), Renly was the clear choice (although IMO he was a much more interesting and complex character and the series would have been better off as a whole if he'd come of age smashing his brother's army agains the walls of Storm's End).

ASOS: There was no sense that Robb's arc had further to go once it became clear that ASOIF wouldn't be about a fight to the death between Starks and Lannisters, and from just prior to the Blackwater onwards Robb's position steadily deterioates (Edmure turning back the Lannisters at the fords; Twyin thus not taking Robb's bait; Baratheon power being broken in the near-term by the Blackwater, giving Tywin a free hand to focus on the north; Robb snubbing the Freys with his marriage and losing the Karstarks just after; Cat releasing Jamie; and the whole the-Ironborn-have-captured-your-homeland-while-you've-been-off-at-the-war thing). In hindsight therefore the most shocking, unpredictable major character deaths of the series make perfect sense in terms of the internal logic of the plot and the narrative arcs of the characters.

The exception is Jon's 'death' at the end of ADWD. It makes sense in terms of the plot (thanks to the identity crisis of living with both the Wildlings and the Watch, he has the perspective necessary to understand what has to be done re the Wildlings. His 'brothers' don't, and so throughout ADWD the tension builds and it becomes clearer that the shit's about to hit the fan), but it's such a nonsensical end to the character arc that we all assume he's either not dead or will be resurrected.

Which brings me back to Jamie. You can plausibly argue it makes sense in terms of previous plot-threads and the motivations of the characters involved (one zombie-lady in particular) for him to die very soon, but it makes no sense from a character-development perspective given everything he's been through, and it'd be such an anti-climax that there would be none of the sense of dramatic resolution, catharsis, or great tragedy that accompanied prior major character deaths. In other words, Jamie dying at the hands of UnCat in the opening chapters of TWOW is about as likely as Arya's first POV ending with her falling into a Bravosi canal and drowning. It could happen if this story was real life (Attila the Hun apparently died of a nosebleed, after all) but it'd be piss-poor writing.

Beyond his short-term survival, however, anything could happen.

My two cents.

If that happens, it'll be a very interesting parallel with the second tempering of Lightbringer

EDIT: Especially given that Oathkeeper is a sword that could conceivably end up in Jon Snow's hands one day if Robb willed Ice to him

The first tempering makes sense as well since Ned Stark was described of having veins filled with cold water and not blood. The first tempering is in water.

That would seem to me extremly out of character for everyone involved.

Why would Sandor save Jaime? He had a bit of a falling out with the Lannisters if I remember correctly...

And the BWB might well turn on UnCat sooner or later, but I still can't really see them protecting Freys and Lannisters....

welll sandor certainly knows brienne and jaime search for sansa.

and a said jaime will help the BWB to save his aunt from death

It would be stupid for Stoneheart to kill him. I'm sure they will have a little trial and stuff and perhaps Brienne will champion him in a trial by combat but I think there is another twist to be had in his storyline. He may be dead by the end of the series but it won't be because of Stoneheart.

Realistically I can see him helping to free Edmure, but I can't see him taking up arms against the Freys. Maybe he gives the BWB some intel that they need in order to siege Riverrun. RW 2.0 seems like a cop-out if you ask me so I hope that isn't the case.

welll sandor certainly knows brienne and jaime search for sansa.

and a said jaime will help the BWB to save his aunt from death

Sandor might know about Jaime's search for Sansa, but why would he trust the purity of his motives? We readers do, because we got to see into his head, and Brienne does, because she kinda has a thing for him by now, but I was some random Westerosi person without those privileged insights into Jaime's psyche, who cared one whit about Sansa, I would really think twice about delivering her into the hands of Jaime Lannister.

Also, I still don't see any explanation why the BWB would be interested in saving Jaime's aunt.

Which brings me back to Jamie. You can plausibly argue it makes sense in terms of previous plot-threads and the motivations of the characters involved (one zombie-lady in particular) for him to die very soon, but it makes no sense from a character-development perspective given everything he's been through, and it'd be such an anti-climax that there would be none of the sense of dramatic resolution, catharsis, or great tragedy that accompanied prior major character deaths.

Very much agree that I can't really see Jaime's arc being done quite yet.

But just like Jon Jaime doesn't have to survive in the strictest sense of the word in order to continue to play a part in the proceedings. I think it's no coincidence that we have a Red Priest with resurrection magic in convenient proximity.

I can see why people are getting tired of all the UnPeople, just like many are getting tired of all the secret Targs, but that just goes to show that Martin does not exactly shy away from certain redundancies...

I will admit that one can come up with a number of plausible scenarios for UnCat not killing Jaime outright

1) The BWB who are shown to be increasingly frustrated with UnCat's leadership rebel and Jaime and Brienne escape in the chaos

2) Brienne warns Jaime (somewhat unlikely, because I'm sure UnCat still has Pod and I can't see Brienne risking his life like that; who's to guarantee that a warned Jaime would meekly follow her like a sheep to the slaughter?) and together they come up with a plan to escape

3) UnCat realizes the value of Jaime as a hostage and tries to trade him against Edmure (don't think UnCat is still thinking that straight though; also she has negative experience with that type of deal....)

4) UnCat keeps Jaims alive for the purpose of having him witness the death of the other Lannisters

I'm still partial to the UnJaime-idea, because

1) it would fit nicely with the Lightbringer-prophecy

2) it would fit nicely with Jaime's weirwood dream, where Jaime is told that is "the flames [of his flaming sword] will burn as long as you live", which reminds me of Beric and his flaming sword and Red priest fire magic in general.

Personally, I can´t see any reason why Catelyn / Lady Stoneheart would leave Jaime alive... Obviously she won´t be willing to trust him once more, and won´t take a risk of letting him go. Having said so, I strongly believe that Jaime will survive this encounter, mostly because two last books ended with the more or less the same cliffhanger related to his fate, and what would be the point of building up all this tension only to just kill a character off?

Besides, without him the books will not be the same anymore :)

I like #3, there is definitely a rift forming in the BWB now that Stoneheart is in charge, so I could see it happening. Someone has to die in this confrontation, if they don't it will be incredibly anti-climactic. I would be shocked if GRRM killed off Jaime though, for the same reason Jon can't be perma dead either, they still have too much left to do.

Brienne on the other hand, excluding her vow to kill Stannis (not happening), doesn't have any obvious role left in this story anymore. She started Jaime down his path to redemption, so it would make sense that her death, especially if it occurs to save Jaime, would be what compels him to complete his redemption arc.

Like I could see him ignoring every thing happening in KL with Cersei, instead making it his mission to find and rescue Sansa because that is what Brienne would have wanted him to do. Of course I see that ending with Sansa rescuing both of them, an subversion of the Knight rescues maiden trope, which is right up GRRM's alley.

I remember having a dream last night with the same thing happening, that's just weird and awesome

Brienne on the other hand, excluding her vow to kill Stannis (not happening), doesn't have any obvious role left in this story anymore. She started Jaime down his path to redemption, so it would make sense that her death, especially if it occurs to save Jaime, would be what compels him to complete his redemption arc.

As much as I would hate to see this happen, I can't help but agree. Brienne's death would likely set off a trigger inside Jaime, effectively completing his transformation. Where he would go after that is beyond me, but he would surely be a very different person afterwards.

But why would they go back to kings landing? I can understand Jaime, but why would the rest of them? They're considered to be criminals. And if you mean that they are go to attack kings landing, there's no way that they are a large enough force for that. And most of them were just trying to defend the people of the riverlands. Why leave?

Archived