Hizdahr zo Loraq, King of Westeros

willy york

I would actually rather enjoy seeing Littlefinger and Varys toy with 'King Hizdahr.' I don't see a scenario that would place all three of them back in KL with any real sense of power but still.....How enertaining would that be? As enertaining as watching them toy with Cersei?

Will you be disappointed if Hizdahr becomes the king of westeros? I know that everyone is expecting him to somehow die off; however, everything doesnt always happen so neat and tidy in ASoIaF and Hizdahr may very well become the king.

Although I personally will feel disappointed to see such a cowardly character become king, I think it is the most likely outcome. What do you think?

It will never happen. He will die in Mereen.

If he lives and Dany does not give him the axe for treason, he stays in Mereen and rules it in her name perhaps but the marriage and him in particular are a major liability in Westeros.

Yeah, I'm thinking Dany does away with him herself. She gave Drogo the pillow. Outsiders may start to think of her as a Henry VIII sort of figure. Before long, eligible bachelors in Westeros may think twice about offering their hands to the infamous Dragon Queen.

(I rather presume he's just some merchant/entrepreneur in the fighting pits who got big just in time when Dany arrived. That doesn't make him a slaver (=someone who trades in slaves). It makes him a slave ownder, but that's practically everyone in Meeren.)

Hizdhar is kind of weird character, I think. On the one hand, he's apparently the rarest of Meereenese - a reformer. He seems to be genuine about his belief that the town is an ossified lump of uselessness and does basically welcome Dany shaking things up. This doesn't mean that he wants Dany to be their ruler or feels any particular personal loyalty to her, but that actually strikes me as a perfectly reasonable combination. OTOH, while he may not actually be a slaver, he does cynically snap up the fighting pits when they go bust, thus giving him a vested interest in continuing exactly the kind of human degradation that Dany is trying to get rid of (whether it strictly goes under the name slavery or not.)

From a different perspective, he's also a bit of an uninspiring, milquetoast sort of character (I'm fond of him, but it's probably mostly for that reason, his being set up as a kind of narrative underdog - even the author doesn't seem to give much of a damn about him) so it does seem unlikely he'll be particularly prominent later on, though I expect him to survive a while yet somewhere off page, complicating any potential other Dany marriage plans.

I really would be happy if he ends up king of Westeros though. Not if I were an actual Westerosi, I suppose - I wouldn't want to be ruled by a foreigner who doesn't know my language any more than anyone. But i'm not Westerosi, i'm just a reader here, and i'm not strictly sure why I should have any particular innate sympathy for the hallowed dignity of native Westerosi noble houses' right to rule the place. It's not like they've been doing a very good job. Having their precious, precious throne end up in the hands of someone who does not give a fuck about it would be lovely, imo.

(I think its also just a bit more likely than never ever ever ever get this brown dude away from my Anglo-Saxon-Aryan fantasy - what we've seen over the past two books or so is an expansion from the very Westeros-focused early books. It's not just that more characters and more of the plot takes place in Essos, it's that more and more Essos forces are emerging as major movers of the Westeros plot, and it appears they have always been - from the Iron Bank to the Faceless Men to the Red Priests to Illyrio.)

It will never happen. There is absolutely nothing in his writings that even suggest that possibility.

The suggestion isn't so much a suggestion as fact...Dany actually did marry Hizdahr. There are suggestions that Hizdahr may not live to see Dany reach Westeros, but if he does live, and she does get people in Westeros to swear fealty to her as queen, then he'd be king consort.

The suggestion isn't so much a suggestion as fact...Dany actually did marry Hizdahr. There are suggestions that Hizdahr may not live to see Dany reach Westeros, but if he does live, and she does get people in Westeros to swear fealty to her as queen, then he'd be king consort.

Now you are speculating way too much . No textual evidence to support that crackpot theory. Dany will live to possibly fight with Aegon. Even if by miracle Dany should die, it will be in Westeros after Hizdar is already dead, she is NOT the Queen on Westeros yet regardless of how many times she says it. Currently Tommen and Stannis are the Kings. Like I said, it will NEVER happen.

Hizdahr will never be allowed to live a normal life if Dany comes back to conquer Mereen because:

1) he tried to hill her

2) he tried to kill the dragons

Therefore, no. A more likely scenario would involve Hot Pie becoming king.

However, it isn't outside of GRRM's playbook to just randomly throw him back into the picture if/when Dany takes the Iron Throne. But to me it just doesn't make sense, why would he leave Mereen, where he is loved and with his own people to go to Westeros? And if he did make it that far I would love for Dany to feed him to the dragons. I would love for Dany to do that in Mereen nevermind Westeros.

Fire and Blood motherfuckers

Now you are speculating way too much . No textual evidence to support that crackpot theory. Dany will live to possibly fight with Aegon. Even if by miracle Dany should die, it will be in Westeros after Hizdar is already dead, she is NOT the Queen on Westeros yet regardless of how many times she says it. Currently Tommen and Stannis are the Kings. Like I said, it will NEVER happen.

And Euron. Don't forget Euron. And don't forget his brother who's coming to axe Hizdahr a few sharp questions (pun intended).

Why do you people always leave out the Ironborn, really? Those guys aren't just viking pirates. They're a HUGE factor in Westerosi politics.

And Euron. Don't forget Euron. And don't forget his brother who's coming to axe Hizdahr a few sharp questions (pun intended).

Why do you people always leave out the Ironborn, really? Those guys aren't just viking pirates. They're a HUGE factor in Westerosi politics.

Euron is King of the Iron Islands, not Westeros. The Ironborn are just so forgettable. It's not our fault, they are just written that way. :drunk:

I don't think you know what speculation means, because that's what you are doing - no matter how well - and Dr. Pepper isn't. As far as the current state is concerned, Hizdahr is, actually, Daenerys's husband - and king consort, failing any extraordinary events.

Likelihood doesn't matter, speculation is discussing possibilities which aren't stated, which is what you are doing, even if it turns out to be correct.

I don't think you know what speculation means, because that's what you are doing - no matter how well - and Dr. Pepper isn't. As far as the current state is concerned, Hizdahr is, actually, Daenerys's husband - and king consort, failing any extraordinary events.

Likelihood doesn't matter, speculation is discussing possibilities which aren't stated, which is what you are doing, even if it turns out to be correct.

Dany is not the Queen of Westeros, she is the queen of Mereen. She acutally has to arrive is Westeros and unseat whomever is on the Iron Throne before she can be Queen. None of that has happened and Hizdar will not be King of Westeros because he will die for his treason.

Dany is not the Queen of Westeros, she is the queen of Mereen. She acutally has to arrive is Westeros and unseat whomever is on the Iron Throne before she can be Queen. None of that has happened and Hizdar will not be King of Westeros because he will die for his treason.

Several of us have explicitly stated that we are setting aside assumptions that Hizdahr will die before Dany reaches Westeros. It really is only an assumption/theory/speculation that he will die, and mostly based on a dream of her having sex with his cold body. This thread is also assuming that Dany will reach Westeros and proclaim herself queen, which is less of an assumption because the author has stated that Dany will land in Westeros. The point is, one of Dany's major flaws is a failure to plan ahead. Marrying Hizdahr was arguably a mistake when it comes to her idea of an ideal Meereen, but it's a major mistake when it comes to Westeros. If he's still alive when she lands and if houses bend the knee in the face of her dragons, she'll be arriving married to her king consort who is a slaver.

Several of us have explicitly stated that we are setting aside assumptions that Hizdahr will die before Dany reaches Westeros. It really is only an assumption/theory/speculation that he will die, and mostly based on a dream of her having sex with his cold body. This thread is also assuming that Dany will reach Westeros and proclaim herself queen, which is less of an assumption because the author has stated that Dany will land in Westeros. The point is, one of Dany's major flaws is a failure to plan ahead. Marrying Hizdahr was arguably a mistake when it comes to her idea of an ideal Meereen, but it's a major mistake when it comes to Westeros. If he's still alive when she lands and if houses bend the knee in the face of her dragons, she'll be arriving married to her king consort who is a slaver.

I understand all of that. However, it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever for him to remain alive after he tried to kill her.

But did he try to kill her?

All we got is circumstancial evidence that someone tried to kill her with the Locusts and that there's a whole conspiracy going on. For all we know, the shavepate is in on the conspiracy, and btw. he's the one mentioning 'the harpy' first, so that one may not even exist at all...

And besides, a lot can change until Dany finally returns to Meeren, IF she even returns to Meeren...

I understand all of that. However, it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever for him to remain alive after he tried to kill her.

Him trying to kill her is also theory. There is no confirmation on this. Besides, he's remained alive for weeks (although now imprisoned) despite character speculation that he attempted to assassinate her. Unless Dany is willing to leave the region entirely without looking back, killing him wouldn't be in Dany's best interests when it comes to Meereen. The marriage was made to facilitate a peace process. Hell will break lose (again) should Dany kill the man who she married as a bridge to peace and stability in the region. It's pretty much a no win situation, which is why marrying him was a mistake.

It's only implausible from an aesthetic point of view.

It's entirely possible from a rational point of view, as some have observed.

1) Dany is considered a serious candidate for the Throne, and he is her husband.

2) No one else is, at present.

Hence, it's realistic.

Further, I find the fact that he is weak or w/e to be an odd objection. It supposes the other Lords will have a say in the matter. Which, if true, would make a weak consort more attractive from their point of view.

I agree it feels unlikely, but as I said, that's really only an aesthetic perspective...and he was an aesthetically implausible choice for Dany in the first place, no?

Archived