Why is Jon Snow so popular? Maybe Spoilers?

Rawien

I don't want to start any arguments because I know he's a favourite character for alot of people, but I just want to know what it is about him people really like? I've always found him to play the victim too much, especially with his family considering on the whole they're quite nice to him and compared with alot of other high born bastard children, (Ramsay, Roberts bastards etc,) he's actually treated with alot of love and respect. Ned openly cares for him and Arya and Rob are very warm towards him. And when he goes to the wall he feels extremely entitled to be a ranger and hard done by to be at the wall when, as Tyrion points out, there are boys much worse off than him right there infront of him. Ontop of his attitude towards his lot in life he also seems to be handed brilliant strokes of luck on a plate. While his family are all beheaded, captive or dead he manages to swing commander of the watch and Rob names him heir to Winterfell.

I know there is some disagreement about who his actual parents might be but I feel it's clear from the text that Jon Snow is not really a bastard and has at least semi-important parents that are yet to be revealed. I feel like there is alot of hard luck for the other starks but Jon is being set up for some serious good luck perhaps by way of more inherritance.

I know that there are alot of Love/Hate characters in the books but personally I can usually find arguments for each case. I know Jaime pushed Bran out of the window but in his own warped way he's loyal and caring. I know Sansa can be frustratingly naive and gullable at times but I always remember she's only 13 and in her own way is also quite brave in how she handles the Lannisters. But I can't find myself liking Jon Snow. Would you be able to tell me what you all like about him? Is he a lovable rogue?

Thanks!

Because he's the one character in the entire series who balances compassion and rationality, has a true sense of equality, takes full responsibility for all of his actions, is extremely smart and also kind of funny, is the one guy who actually sees the big picture in all of this and genuinely wants to do the right thing.

And he's friends with Mance.

I don't like him, but i love the wall setting and how whats happening there will sweep away all the politicking.

He may be entitled, but hey ... so are most people in the series.

He may seem like a gary sue (and is), but it is called a song of ice and fire

ice - jon

fire - dany

The two characters deserve special treatment.

He's an underdog rising to meet the challenges posed by the worlds through work, perseverance, daring and cunning. He gets the girl, he rises to the top of his career and he's wise in his rule. He's a yee-haw away from being an All-American hero.

Yeah he displays a bit of a spoiled attitude at times but you have to keep in mind a few things, one he is very young at the beginning of AGOT (14 years old) and two his dreams of glory among the NW have been destroyed by the harsh reality at the wall.

In the few instances where Jon really starts to act like a brat he talks to a few different characters (Tyrion, Mormont, Donal Noye, and Aemon) and then realizes his mistake and makes amends. No characters are perfect in ASOIAF but Jon really tries to be as good as he can.

This is a kid who defends the weak (i.e Samwell), is loyal almost to a fault, kills a wight, infiltrates the wildlings, leads the defense of the wall and doesn't flinch when forced to make tough decisions. He can be a bit brooding at times but it's not exactly like he's had it easy.

You say you can like Jaime but not Jon, but other than the superficial charm of Jaime they are very much similar

Stannis was about to make Jon a true Stark and the Lord of Winterfell, something he'd dreamed of since being a little kid playing with Robb and let him walk away from the Watch free and clear. He turns this down because he feels he'd be stealing it from his siblings and because he swore an oath to the NW. How many people in Westeros would have done what Jon did in that situation? Not many, I dont think. Yeah, he grew up in Winterfell but was reminded almost on a daily basis that he wasnt a Stark and only a bastard. He's trying to do good in a world where everyone else is backstabbing and only out for themselves.

Also, cause he's fucking awesome and like someone else said, he's friends with Mance.

I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts as to why you consider Jon a "gary stu" in relation to the rest of the cast of ASOIAF. When looking at the full cast, is there something that stands out to you about Jon that evokes this assertion?

He grew up next to Robb who was readied for lordship, trained and learned with him, matched him at every skill. Yet Robb would get all their Father had and Jon would have nothing. But still he doesn't let the bitterness consume him.

He sticks to all Ned taught him about honor and moral even when he has nothing to gain from it.

He's an underdog rising to meet the challenges posed by the worlds through work, perseverance, daring and cunning. He gets the girl, he rises to the top of his career and he's wise in his rule. He's a yee-haw away from being an All-American hero.

Except he loses the girl and gets stabbed for his troulbles

Because he's the one character in the entire series who balances compassion and rationality, has a true sense of equality, takes full responsibility for all of his actions, is extremely smart and also kind of funny, is the one guy who actually sees the big picture in all of this and genuinely wants to do the right thing.

And he's friends with Mance.

:agree:

I'll echo butterbumps!: why do people keep making this assertion?

Personally, I think more people will grow to like Jon Snow because after Bowens little betrayel once Jon wakes, I believe he wont be as forgiving, trusting or as patient. He will truly become the leader of the wildlings and says "Fuck the watch! I'll leave them for the Others!"

You say you can like Jaime but not Jon, but other than the superficial charm of Jaime they are very much similar

Jaime never cared for anyone except for himself. He even ignored his kids (he could've spend time with them under the pretext that they are his nieces and nephews, and no one would've raised an eyebrow). Even when he lost his arm, his "honourable" actions simply aim at comforting himself.

Jon and Jaime are miles apart.

what everyone else has already said about his general awesomness - also, he's not treated that well at Winterfell - Cat treats him like crap, Ned never steps in and defends him against her irrational hatered (even IF he is Ned's bastard - which I don't believe - how on earth is she justified for blaming him for that?), nor does he tell him who his mom is despite numerous pleas. Sansa is a downright condesending bitch to him, Theon treats him with contempt. Really the only people nice to him are Arya, Bran and Robb. Through this all, he keeps his love for his family and home.

I get the dislike of most everyone, but of Jon - no, not at all.

Personally, I think more people will grow to like Jon Snow because after Bowens little betrayel once Jon wakes, I believe he wont be as forgiving, trusting or as patient. He will truly become the leader of the wildlings and says "Fuck the watch! I'll leave them for the Others!"

"Assuming Control". :devil:

I don't like him, but i love the wall setting and how whats happening there will sweep away all the politicking.

He may be entitled, but hey ... so are most people in the series.

ice - jon

fire - dany

The two characters deserve special treatment.

Ice: The rest of the North.

Fire: The rest of the Targaryens, or descendants of Valyrians. Even Dorne.

Jaime never cared for anyone except for himself. He even ignored his kids (he could've spend time with them under the pretext that they are his nieces and nephews, and no one would've raised an eyebrow). Even when he lost his arm, his "honourable" actions simply aim at comforting himself.

Jon and Jaime are miles apart.

Agreed.

IMO Jaime's chapters are more fun to read, but Jaime is still a piece of shit, even if I do like him. People like Jon because he gives us hope. If Jon were to die, one would look at the remaining characters and say "Well....does it really matter who wins?" because they are all their own kind of fuck up, and none of them have a clue about the White Walkers other than Jon. Just Jon(And Stannis) and his small supporting cast. Not Dany, Not Sansa, Not Aegon.

Thats why people like Jon. If Jon dies, then the "Dream of a Spring" is also over

Archived