Why is Jon Snow so popular? Maybe Spoilers?

Rawien

Actually, he's neither loyal to a fault nor trusting to a fault-- I'd disagreed with those statements, but disagreed with his stuishness more.

From his very first POV chapter in aGoT, we see that he's extremely cautious and even distrustful. Jon is a good observer, but one thing he struggles with is getting outside of his own head. He's extremely melancholic and sometimes short-sighted. It's only after his Mance adventures that the big picture really starts being something he knows that he needs to consider. He's a good judge of character, but extremely taciturn when it comes to conveying his thoughts, though when he does, he delivers his positions quite well.

Jon's biggest problem is honestly "getting over himself."

He's great at swordplay because he grew up in a noble household and learned the relevant skills.

Ok, I can see how in that sense he would be quite cautious, but I feel as far as his Stark blood, Stark family and men are concerned he's extremely loyal. He "turns his cloak" for the watch and doesn't leave even though he hates it there. Though I agree maybe trusting to a fault was wrong, he is as you say quite cautious especially with Stannis, much like Ned would be.

But I still can't think of an actual flaw...lol! Not trying to upset anyone!

We will. With Stan throttled on his chamberpot in his tent somewhere in the snow by a Wight and Jon leading the Nothern army to victory against the Great Other. ;)

Dream on, without stannis the north is screwed. Unless you like boltons and freys.

Dammit E RO, if you're going to spam the thread with Stannis, can you at least mount your attack on the Stu argument?

Sorry, but I think you have that under control. Am I really needed for this one?

Obviously not fan of Apple's nothern conspiracy theory...

ps I actually do like the Freys...they're very useful as ingrediants in pies.

You Ser have won this thread. :)

And while I do love me some Stannis, I agree that the North's support is not yet guaranteed, and even if he gets it, it won't be unconditional.

As opposed to adding thousends to the ever growing Wight army the Others were rapidly gathering?

Yeah what a bad idea trying to prevent that...

Jon sent one of his few trustworthy commanders on a high risk mission with no realistic way of backing him up if things went south. Now that they have, said wight army has only gotten bigger and the NW has gotten weaker. The cost of failure was too high for the NW imo

Jon sent one of his few trustworthy commanders on a high risk mission with no realistic way of backing him up if things went south. Now that they have, said wight army has only gotten bigger and the NW has gotten weaker.

Cotter Pyke had limited use on land, his expertise was on sea. By trying to extract the Wildlings stuck at Hardhome he tried to prevent a vast increase of Wights and tried to save humans (yes, smallfolk, I know most don't care about those) from a certain death or worst.

Cotter Pyke wouldn't have helped Jon at Castle Black and he knew it.

Dream on, without stannis the north is screwed. Unless you like boltons and freys.

If you want your sacred weirwoods burned and your Gods mocked because the king listens to the advice of an incompetent red witch from half the world away, support Stannis.

If you want your sacred weirwoods burned and your Gods mocked because the king listens to the advice of an incompetent red witch from half the world away, support Stannis.

If you want justice for the young wolf and all the men you lost in the south support stannis. If you want a stark back in winterfell support stannis, if you want a leader that cares more for the realm then the throne support stannis.

If you want justice for the young wolf and all the men you lost in the south support stannis. If you want a stark back in winterfell support stannis, if you want a leader that cares more for the realm then the throne support stannis.

In the name of R'hollor, return to the dark murky hollow beneath your rock, you most insufferable of trolls!

"Bolton has blundered," the king declared. "All he had to do was sit inside his castle whilst we starved. Instead he has sent some portion of his strength forth to give us battle. His knights will be horsed, ours must fight afoot. His men will be well nourished, ours go into battle with empty bellies. It makes no matter. Ser Stupid, Lord Too-Fat, the Bastard, let them come. We hold the ground, and that I mean to turn to our advantage."

The northmen need stannis, even once jon recovers they will need his help. You shouldnt hope they cast him aside thats silly.

As for jon, he likes stannis, he wont go against him.

But I don't see Jon as being that flawed. Other than the fact that he's a bastard, (and as has been discussed above he was well treated by all otehr standards), I just don't see where his flaws are?

I've always found him to play the victim too much, especially with his family considering on the whole they're quite nice to him and compared with alot of other high born bastard children, (Ramsay, Roberts bastards etc,) he's actually treated with alot of love and respect.

Is that a flaw or not?

Archived