Why is Jon Snow so popular? Maybe Spoilers?

Rawien

Ok with the others, but Daenerys... "wise"? :bang:

Daenerys commited terrible, terrible mistakes, but that is mostly because she accepted too high a bar. All things considered, she is quite wise, even noble, particularly once one compensates for her actual lack of life experience.

Daenerys commited terrible, terrible mistakes, but that is mostly because she accepted too high a bar. All things considered, she is quite wise, even noble, particularly once one compensates for her actual lack of life experience.

You don't get extra points because you lack life experience. You might attribute Dany's lack of wisdom to her lack life experience, but you definitely don't get to say that she is wise because she lacks life experience. Otherwise it would follow that those with the least experience are the most wise, 'all things considered,' which is clearly absurd.

Jon doesnt hate Catelyn so why should I? Jon never says "Catelyn, what a horrible bitch." so really, why should I, the reader, think Catelyn is awful by extension? This is where the Jon-stan/Anti-Cat fallacy falls apart.

Yeah, I don't get this either. Granted, 'it should have been you' isn't Cats finest hour by far. But I just don't see how people seem to believe that one of them has to be good and the other bad. I see both of them as basically good, if flawed, people. No, they don't like each other, but why should I have to decide for one over the other? I hate it when friends of mine don't like each other, but I try not to have that affect my love for either...

The only thing stuish I find about Jon is the fact he ended up being LC.

I wouldn't even have minded that too much, I just felt it happened too early in the plot.

His LC election is a big "come onnnn" moment I see tossed around, but is it really that out of the blue or unexpected?

1. He's Mormont's handpicked steward. As Sam says, the implication is, Mormont's saying, "This kid is going places."

2. Denys Mallister and Cotter Pyke would both have been incredibly capable, but their animosity ended up in a stalemate that wasn't going to get broken. Their dislike was well-established long before the election.

3. Not everyone was tickled about voting for someone like Slynt.

4. Most of the other candidates who'd have a good shot are missing (Benjen) or dead (Donal Noye).

5. Jon had literally just helped hold the Wall against a wildling attack. There is very immediate empirical evidence that yes he does know what he's doing.

When you consider all of that, his election isn't nearly the out-of-nowhere plot contrivance so many detractors try to spin it as.

I'm pretty neutral towards him, but he does offer fairly likable qualities in my book in terms of just being an empathetic person. Obiously he wasn't always perfect in that regard, but compared to the regular folks that are Gregor, Biter, Rorge, Chett, Ramsay, Eurion, Joffrey, gotta appreciate the few decent folks out there.

When you consider all of that, his election isn't nearly the out-of-nowhere plot contrivance so many detractors try to spin it as.

I'm not saying it's out of the blue or anything, I expected from the start that he'd take over eventually.

I just feel it happened too early in the plot.

If it ends up that there's say, ten books ultimately I think we can assume Jon Snow will be one character who will definitely survive to the end(that, or he's dead for real now, I doubt GRRM would fake kill him then kill him for real later)

So ten books. Having him become LC at the end of the third book is just... IMO, too early.

His LC election is a big "come onnnn" moment I see tossed around, but is it really that out of the blue or unexpected?

1. He's Mormont's handpicked steward. As Sam says, the implication is, Mormont's saying, "This kid is going places."

2. Denys Mallister and Cotter Pyke would both have been incredibly capable, but their animosity ended up in a stalemate that wasn't going to get broken. Their dislike was well-established long before the election.

4. Most of the other candidates who'd have a good shot are missing (Benjen) or dead (Donal Noye).

5. Jon had literally just helped hold the Wall against a wildling attack. There is very immediate empirical evidence that yes he does know what he's doing.

Apple Martini used "AMAZING POST"

Florina Stark uses "Like"

Its not very effective.

D:

I hate it when i run out of likes. Gawds. But yes. That indeed. :agree:

Ontop of his attitude towards his lot in life he also seems to be handed brilliant strokes of luck on a plate. While his family are all beheaded, captive or dead

I absolutely love that these two sentences were put next to each other with no trace of irony.

lol, this is what gets me as well about it. I always hear "He's too young, why would they pick him", and "It's such a plot gift", yet I have never heard someone suggest a reasonable alternative. Slynt is an obvious tool and an incapable screwup for all to see, Bowen Marsh is...well Bowen Marsh, Othell Yarwyck is not a leader by any stretch... The rest of the candidates are joke candidates like Three Finger Hobb and Dolorous Edd. If you can't see why Jon wouldn't be elected, I really don't know what to tell you.

You can also add

6. He is the "nephew" of extremely well respected First Ranger (which does get brought up in the election)

7. He was handpicked and travelled with the legendary Qhorin Halfhand (and was excused of any wrongdoing in the matter by pretty much everyone who matters)

8. He is Ned Starks son. Seriously, that's all that needs to be said.

Because he's the one character in the entire series who balances compassion and rationality, has a true sense of equality, takes full responsibility for all of his actions, is extremely smart and also kind of funny, is the one guy who actually sees the big picture in all of this and genuinely wants to do the right thing.

And he's friends with Mance.

Seriously BB, enough said. If you're friends with Mance, you are simply awesome.

OP,

I've loved Jon since the first couple chapters. He was gentle and supportive to Bran during the beheading and he's the same with Arya in all her chapters in AGOT. He lied to Robb about what Cat said to him to protect his brother from the ugliness. It's so rare for a 14 yr old boy to feel that kind of love for their siblings and act on it.

He goes to the Wall and is protective of Sam, Mance's baby, Satin, Alys, thousands of wildlings. His urge to help weaker things goes beyond normal kindness. It's almost parental and instinctive, the way a mama bear yearns to guard her cubs.

That's his personality- he's the protector, the shepherd, the savior, a smaller version of Ned. I think Jon's the most inherently good person I've met in 5000 pages and that's why he's my favorite character.

It was pretty smart for Jon to realize the danger the others present north of the Wall and let the wildlings come thru. Even tho it gets him stabbed. I dont think any other LC would have let them pass and then the size of the others army would mean certain doom for Westeros.

Ok, I can see how in that sense he would be quite cautious, but I feel as far as his Stark blood, Stark family and men are concerned he's extremely loyal. He "turns his cloak" for the watch and doesn't leave even though he hates it there. Though I agree maybe trusting to a fault was wrong, he is as you say quite cautious especially with Stannis, much like Ned would be.

But I still can't think of an actual flaw...lol! Not trying to upset anyone!

You have a couple Problems here

Your comparing him to other Character stop Jon is Jon he is not Dany,Tyrion,Robb, or any other character you try to compare him with.

You say he doesn't have flaws, He almost became a wilding during his misadventures with Ygritte, but he pulls him self out, and goes on the path he wants.

He gains animosity from many members of the NW for trying to bring the wildings over the wall to protect them, which in turn leads to the uprising, that ends in him being Seriously injured.

Oh and one point I feel the need to Drive home again is Jon=/=Dany ( Dany is your favorite Character so its obvious you don't like Jon when he Doesn't fail at every corner like her.)

You have a couple Problems here

Your comparing him to other Character stop Jon is Jon he is not Dany,Tyrion,Robb, or any other character you try to compare him with.

You say he doesn't have flaws, He almost became a wilding during his misadventures with Ygritte, but he pulls him self out, and goes on the path he wants.

He gains animosity from many members of the NW for trying to bring the wildings over the wall to protect them, which in turn leads to the uprising, that ends in him being Seriously injured.

Oh and one point I feel the need to Drive home again is Jon=/=Dany ( Dany is your favorite Character so its obvious you don't like Jon when he Doesn't fail at every corner like her.)

Dany and Jon are my fav characters so that logic doesnt appy to me.

He's my favorite character because he always tries to do what's right, he realizes the bigger picture, turned down Winterfell for Sansa, excluded himself from having a Direwolf, gave Arya Needle, let the Wildlings through, and many other little moments. I love the entirety of his character, its not just one thing, but everything that makes him up. He does have flaws and I find it strange to think people don't see them. He can be arrogant, entitled, his communication could use some serious work, he gets lost in his head too much and he battles with his desires and doing whats right.

Archived