What would you change about ASOIAF?

First of My Name

I agree with the aging up of the children, GRRM even said he regretted not doing that.

Also, I hope isn't just going to be all wights, others, dragons and resurrections. Low-key magic is more fun imo. The finality of death is kinda gone now, and the threat of it was one of the things that made the series so strong in the first place. So I would change an ending all about magic and fantasy creatures, unless it was really good.

Those wishing for less magic are going to be disappointed I think, as the author confirmed the trend that there wasn't much magic in ASOFAI but it was increasing each novel.

I think that the last two novels will contain quite a bit of magic.

Then again, ASOFAI was always intended as a fantasy series, not a historical parallel world piece of work, so we shouldn't be so surprised if we see magic now and again.

i would change the existence of undead and zombies. aren't the others enough of a threat? why do we need the walking dead?

Those wishing for less magic are going to be disappointed I think, as the author confirmed the trend that there wasn't much magic in ASOFAI but it was increasing each novel.

Then again, ASOFAI was always intended as a fantasy series, not a historical parallel world piece of work, so we shouldn't be so surprised if we see magic now and again.

i agree. the whole theme of asoiaf is the increasing amount and power of magic. that said, i believe the series will end with magic permanently removed from the world of asoiaf or at least permanently hidden (bran wrapped up in a tree root).

It's sort of difficult to imagine any self-respecting apocalypse of ice demons to not involve quite a bit of magic. People are kidding themselves hoping for less of that in a series of novels that actually begins with these very same ice demons slaughtering people and then raising them from the dead.

It's sort of difficult to imagine any self-respecting apocalypse of ice demons to not involve quite a bit of magic. People are kidding themselves hoping for less of that in a series of novels that actually begins with these very same ice demons slaughtering people and then raising them from the dead.

Martin fooled whole hordes of people thinking ASOFAI was called Game of Thrones and actually a political drama set in a parallel fantasy world.

Those people will be quite disappointed I think next two novels.

The two most stupid characters dying is a PERFECT idea. If you got bad taste, what can I do? :dunno:

Catelyn was one of the most interesting characters in the series, while Robb was horribly two-dimensional. So why do you want the former to die and the latter to live?

I wouldn't dislike an ending with magic, but I'd prefer one that was not ALL ABOUT magic, since that would render the relatively magic-less War of the Five Kings kinda unimportant, unless they'd fight it with magic. I dunno, I'm thinking I'll like what Martin has planned, magic or not.

PS a lot of people would've changed Gregor's resurrection. But has it ever been confirmed that Robert Strong truly is Gregor Clegane? I believe he is, but I'm just wondering if there might be a twist there.

I wouldn't dislike an ending with magic, but I'd prefer one that was not ALL ABOUT magic, since that would render the relatively magic-less War of the Five Kings kinda unimportant, unless they'd fight it with magic. I dunno, I'm thinking I'll like what Martin has planned, magic or not.

i think that is the whole point grrm is trying to make. there are bigger things to worry about than fighting to be or for a king.

IMO, the magic per se is not the problem, yes the story begins with a giant ice wall, the others who cearly are not humans, and can resurrect the dead, we all knew this story will contain a lot of magic, and GRRM's idea was always to increase magic.

What I don't like that much is how magic get used in the later books, I like more when it was mysterious, the Others are an excelent example, 5 books and we know very little of them. On the other way, all those ressurections came to a point that weakened the story, and takes most of the drama that use to have. I'd say it in other thread a few months ago, Ned's and Robb death were devastating and really unexpected for readers, then un-characters were introduced and now nobody gives a damn about Jon's "dead" cause most people think it won't matter in the end.

No phrases like pink mast.

No Cersei POV, and a POV sympathetic towards her to counter Tyrion.

Ages.

Meereen.

Do something about the Iron Islanders, like, remove them? Just their POVs maybe.

Damn those Dorne POVs, I know they will impact the story but they are so boring.

More secret Targs ;)

No phrases like pink mast.

No Cersei POV, and a POV sympathetic towards her to counter Tyrion.

Ages.

Meereen.

Do something about the Iron Islanders, like, remove them? Just their POVs maybe.

Damn those Dorne POVs, I know they will impact the story but they are so boring.

More secret Targs ;)

Damm noo! Cersei's Pov saved AFFC (with Jaime's), and Dorne POVs are necessary.

IMO, the magic per se is not the problem, yes the story begins with a giant ice wall, the others who cearly are not humans, and can resurrect the dead, we all knew this story will contain a lot of magic, and GRRM's idea was always to increase magic.

What I don't like that much is how magic get used in the later books, I like more when it was mysterious, the Others are an excelent example, 5 books and we know very little of them. On the other way, all those ressurections came to a point that weakened the story, and takes most of the drama that use to have. I'd say it in other thread a few months ago, Ned's and Robb death were devastating and really unexpected for readers, then un-characters were introduced and now nobody gives a damn about Jon's "dead" cause most people think it won't matter in the end.

A lot of people are the opposite and don't like how the Others have been drawn out. Either way, I disagree about "all those resurrections". There's only been one of real import (unCat), and she's no longer even a POV or anything.

And I think the previous resurrections have nothing to do with people not caring about Jon's death. Jon's importance to the story and unfinished business is the main reason why nobody actually thinks he's dead- not the magical resurrections.

I do love the books (although only up to AFfC atm), but being a budding author myself there are some things that I would do differently, than GRRM has done:

• Firstly, I would have not split AFfC and ADwD by location, it's a bizarre idea...
  • I agree with most people that ages of the characters should be more (something the show has made an improvement on the books)
  • Give Dany a bit of better story line (ACoK, her story was boring, ASoS, she was annoying)
  • One thing that puts me off anything (especially fantasy stuff) is prophecy or "it's your destiny." It's just so overdone and is just so cheesy that I cringe everytime I see or hear it.

There is other stuff which I can't think up right now, but anyway this isn't my story it's GRRM's. BUT I will say being able to create such a totally new world just out of imagination that looks so realistic is an achievement in it self, so George (if your reading this) I doff my hat to you sir :)

Archived