The Winds of Winter is a terrible title

Seriously, I know that when GRRM was planning a trilogy his titles were "A Game of Thrones", "A Dance with Dragons" and "The Winds of Winter" and so yes I know that GRRM has wanted this title for a LONG time.

NO that does not excuse the laziness and boring simplicity of this title.

For starters, considering the first five books all start with "A" and so does the last book's working title, he's just throwing off the whole repetition by having a book start with a "the".

Secondly, it's not even a good title. If he wanted to work winter into a title he could've done so much better. A Taste of Winter, for instance. Obviously I can't provide many hypothetical titles since I can't read the book and see what he's written(yet) so I don't know what would or wouldn't fit. But at least with the first three book titles, they are straight to the point in a kickass way. With AFfC, ADwD and ADfS there's PLENTY of room for interpretation and discussion about what the title actually means. The Winds of WInter? Doesn't have the catchy-straight to the point badass feel of the first books OR the somewhat vague and debatable meaningful title of the other three.

I don't know, maybe i'm just upset because at the end of the series i'll have a collection that all starts with "A" and then a single "the" which will throw off the cool flow of my collection. Who actually likes the title and why? I want to hear an opposing viewpoint on this, because IMO it's just a boring title.

For starters, considering the first five books all start with "A" and so does the last book's working title, he's just throwing off the whole repetition by having a book start with a "the".

The OCD is strong in this one...make sure to flick the light switch three times before you go to sleep otherwise sea monsters might eat you.

If the sixth book had been called A Taste of Winter I would not have read the first.

I'm not particularly saying that's a good title, it was just the first thing that came to my mind. But The Winds of Winter is just as bad and generic.

I know that if I was someone unfamilar with the series and I saw a book titled "The Winds of Winter" on a shelf, i'd automatically assume it was an Evermore or Vampirates-esque terribad fantasy book. That's how generic and lame that title is to me. hahaha

You seem to be quite upset over...a title? Seriously?

The title strikes me as just fine. I really don't see a problem with it. And really, A Taste of Winter is just so much worse :unsure:

I was literally just complaining about this to someone a minute ago!!!!

Don't feel bad. I dislike the break in continuity too. Why would six out of seven books be titled the same and one differently?

And, I don't want to sound prickish or anything, but unless you were just saying this 60 seconds(give or take a few seconds) before that post, then you were figuratively complaining about this a minute ago, not literally. I'm sorry, but the annoyingly common misuse of "literal" is just a rather large pet peeve of mine.

And, I don't want to sound prickish or anything, but unless you were just saying this 60 seconds(give or take a few seconds) before that post, then you were figuratively complaining about this a minute ago, not literally. I'm sorry, but the annoyingly common misuse of "literal" is just a rather large pet peeve of mine.

Lol that ad on the side of the website got you thinking too eh?

Lol that ad on the side of the website got you thinking too eh?

Heh, while I kind of do want that shirt, I was pissing off my friends by pointing out their misusage of that word before it was cool :pimp:

Archived