The Winds of Winter is a terrible title

Heh, StannisBamafatheon, funny you said that. I did actually think that the title would work better for an album(whether it be metal, ambient, prog, whatever) than a book.

You seem to be quite upset over...a title? Seriously?

I'm honestly not upset in the slightest, it's just hard to tell because of the internet. haha I'll still read the book and my life will carry on exactly the same. It's just a super tiny nitpick, especially after the awesome titles the books have had(Feast for Crows, Storm of Swords and Game of Thrones specifically) that GRRM would settle for such a lackluster title this far into the game.

ETA: Blood of the Flagon, I feel like, over 5,000 pages in, that we've established the motifs and themes enough that we don't need them in the title as well.

A Frey for Dinner

Heh.

Actually, I was thinking about how(with winter and all) that lacking-food would make for a GREAT title and is a lot less obvious and bland than Winds of Winter.

A Lack of Food, A Quest for Food, etc. - only obviously with much better wording. hahaha

The only problem with that would be that there'd be two books with food related titles(feast for crows) and GRRM might not want that, but oh well.

Oh so now we are whining about titles? Really?

I like the title. Its nice and has that sense of foreboding. Like A Storm of Swords, where you know shits gonna get real. The Winds of Winter conjures the same image. Shit getting real, only this time its about winter coming down and kicking everyone's ass.

And, I don't want to sound prickish or anything, but unless you were just saying this 60 seconds(give or take a few seconds) before that post, then you were figuratively complaining about this a minute ago, not literally. I'm sorry, but the annoyingly common misuse of "literal" is just a rather large pet peeve of mine.

I literally was, within sixty seconds prior to reading that thread, complaining about this issue to someone beside me.

You know what's literally more annoying than someone using literally wrongly? Someone who assumes they are and feels the self-righteous need to correct them incorrectly.

Oh, I'm sorry I might've come off like a prick there...

I like the title. Its nice and has that sense of foreboding. Like A Storm of Swords, where you know shits gonna get real. The Winds of Winter conjures the same image. Shit getting real, only this time its about winter coming down and kicking everyone's ass.

A Feast for Crows is about a MILLION times more creepy, foreboding and scary of a title than WINDS OF WINTER will ever be.

ETA: Actually, giving the title of the fourth book, I was actually surprised there wasn't ten times more deaths.

He should just name the book "Shit's gettin' real"

I too agree with Florina Stark. Since winter is something that has been so built up during this series, and winter has finally come, and this book is going to revolve around the events that take place during this apparently long and cruel winter the title is perfect.

The title could not be anything BUT the winds of winter IMO

A Feast for Crows is about a MILLION times more creepy, foreboding and scary of a title than WINDS OF WINTER will ever be.

A Feast for Crows really is a creepy title, now that you mention it. Before I was thinking about a field of grass and now I'm thinking about moldering bodies.

All of the titles in ASOIAF are generic fantasy titles. Why get upset about it? Just looking over our bookshelf quickly I can't see much of a difference between GRRM's titles and Robert Jordan's titles, for instance. He might write more detailed and complex stories than most, but he's still another fantasy author :)

Archived