R+L=J v.39

Angalin

No, Rhaegar didn't love Elia. Barristan says Rhaegar was fond of her when Dany asks him if there was love between them. So, no love there; it was a purely political match. I do think he loved his children, but I also think he didn't abandon them. Otherwise, why should he have come back to fight on the Trident?

As for the why, I think we will have to wait for further books for the details. Some cornerstones seem to be set though: Elia couldn't have any more children, and Rhaegar apparently wanted at least three (the three heads of the dragon, in his mind). There might also be political implications involved; Rhaegar apparently wanted to overthrow Aerys in the medium term, and an alliance to the largest kingdom would have been beneficial. I came up with some crackpot on that one.

Did Rhaegar not love Elia or his children? Why would he think it better to run off/kidnap Lyanna Stark; a girl he barely knew but was rather transfixed with her beauty, rather than stay with his wife (when they were apparently very nice to eachother) and his son and daughter (his son he even gave the "ice and fire" line to). I have such problems accepting this theory, not because it doesn't work out with regards to time and the promise and such but WHY the both of them would run off. Two smart people doing a stupid thing...

They would hardly be the first couple to do something stupid out of love :-)

- It is established that Rhaegar didn't truly love Elia, while he did love Lyanna - quite possibly, she was the first love of his life. Also, we do not know if he barely knew her - there may have been a lot of things going behind the scenes we don't know of, there was a considerable time gap between Harrenhall and the supposed kidnapping. Furthermore, it is never stated that he didn't intend to come back to his children - eloping and staying put is a convenient way to avoid the biggest shitstorm (and he cannot be ordered to return Lyanna by the king in the first place), and after some time, if he reappers with a pregnant Lyanna to claim her as his second wife in the Targaryen tradition, no-one can really do a thing when the deed is already done, can they?

The dreams Jon has about the cripts are really intersting. I made an analysis about Jon´s dream of the crypts realting to R+L in an older R+L threat.

In his dreams Jon never goes to Lyannna´s tomb he allways wakes up before he reaches it. He is allways looking for something in his dreams. IMO he is unitentioly looking for his mother.

Maybe he will go to Lyanna´s tomb after someone told him who his parents are.

There are wide speculations that some proof of R+L is in Lyanna´s tomb. Her shield as KOTLT, a targaryan wedding cloak, a letter, etc.

Actually, I've just read that it is possible for women to continue lactation weeks after giving birth. Granted, days might be more common...the source I have might not be trustworthy and I'm not a medical doctor :) ... but either way, I won't belive it's entirely impossible unless I read some sound medical article stating just that....

Of course for the theory to work at all, we'd need a lot of convenient circumstances coming together, though Ashara leaving Kingslanding with her brother, makes sense, no?

What I don't understand is how Lyanna's babe survived at all, if Lyanna was dying and weak; possibly feverish/ill? Fever milk can't be all that good for a new born to drink, no? So...where would anyone find a wet nurse in the dornish moutains?

This is a bit of a strech, when I made this theory up, I didn't see any problem with Ashara still having milk. So, I'm a bit innocent in the ways of life :) Anyway, it would work if she kept milking her breasts, for some reason...though what this reason might be... is a mystery. Couldn't lactation have caused her pains, forcing her to squeeze the milk out of her breasts on a regular basis??

or maybe one of the Kingsguards had a very peculiar fetish. Sam seems to enjoy mother's milk, after all...

Without putting the child to breast, lactation wouldn't even start proper (though there certainly may be exceptions). Milking one's breasts is not as easy as it sounds, and to produce an amount sufficient for maintaining the lactation, that yould be quite some milking.

A wetnurse could have been arranged beforehands, and if not, goat milk would do temporarily.

What I don't understand is how Lyanna's babe survived at all, if Lyanna was dying and weak; possibly feverish/ill? Fever milk can't be all that good for a new born to drink, no? So...where would anyone find a wet nurse in the dornish moutains?

Presumably there would have been a midwife/wetnurse but there are other alternatives like goat milk. I assume that Wylla of Starfall was the wetnurse. I don't assume that they were at the TOJ completely alone. There would have been at least a couple of servants, and definitely those specific to labor and child care.

They would hardly be the first couple to do something stupid out of love :-)

- It is established that Rhaegar didn't truly love Elia, while he did love Lyanna - quite possibly, she was the first love of his life. Also, we do not know if he barely knew her - there may have been a lot of things going behind the scenes we don't know of, there was a considerable time gap between Harrenhall and the supposed kidnapping. Furthermore, it is never stated that he didn't intend to come back to his children - eloping and staying put is a convenient way to avoid the biggest shitstorm (and he cannot be ordered to return Lyanna by the king in the first place), and after some time, if he reappers with a pregnant Lyanna to claim her as his second wife in the Targaryen tradition, no-one can really do a thing when the deed is already done, can they?

But why would Lyanna settle for this? She was supposed to be wild. I cannot imagine the idea of her being locked up in a tower, impregnated, then told to live the rest of her days as a SECOND wife to Rhaegar would seem appealing. Even if she were a romantic and even if she were in love, she doesn't seem the character to downgrade herself to this. Unless she didn't know... But Rhaegar would have known that was what to happen. Do he duped her? Told her that a prince and a wolf would just run off together away from their responsibilities and a sixteen year old girl believed him. He lied to her? Doesn't seem like the two of them were on the same page then.

The dreams Jon has about the cripts are really intersting. I made an analysis about Jon´s dream of the crypts realting to R+L in an older R+L threat.

In his dreams Jon never goes to Lyannna´s tomb he allways wakes up before he reaches it. He is allways looking for something in his dreams. IMO he is unitentioly looking for his mother.

There are wide speculations that some proof of R+L is in Lyanna´s tomb. Her shield as KOTLT, a targaryan wedding cloak, a letter, etc.

I am of the firm belief that R+L=J and furthermore that they were married (going back to the pologamy of earlier generations). One thing that points to this being true, imho, are the crypts at Winterfell. Lyanna is interred along with the kings and lords of Winterfell - none of the other children/brothers/sisters - just kings of the north, lords of winterfell and Lyanna. Ned states that she 'belongs' here. As Ned is not only honourable but also a traditionalist I can't see him putting Lyanna there simply out of his love for her (he would have buried her with the other non-lords of the family) so the only reason she's there is because Ned knows that she was married to Rhager and therefore a queen.

My bet is that...IF they married, they've kept it under wraps, because loosing Dorne if Elia was scorned or put aside or whatever, was a very real possibility. Maybe even, Rhaegar divorced Elia. We know she is weak and ill after all. That should be ground enough to set her aside, stranger things have happened in history... And seeing as Doran Martell is ill as well, it's not too much of a strech to think that whatever plagued Elia was genetic, and was possibly passed down to her daughter... though that's just speculation. But it would give Rhaegar a valid reason to seek another wife, if only because he wanted to be 100% certain he'd have at least one healthy and strong heir.

Oh and... my pet theory (though it's kind of crackpot) is that Lyanna did marry... but not Rhaegar. She married Jon Connington, who agreed because he needed a wife, was homosexual and loved his prince. So if Rhaegar had asked it of him, maybe Jon would have done it.

As to Rhaegar's reasons... essentially he'd have a concubine, with no risk of staining his honor or loosing Dorne's allegiance, and no fear that Jon would ever actually bed her. Plus, any child from Lyanna, would be heir to Connington and thus, Aegon would be safe. Also, Rhaegar might have thought Connington an apt replacement for Robert Baratheon, one that would satify Rickard Stark in a last desperate attempt to prevent full out war....

Lyanna would have agreed because, marrying Jon would have given her a freedom she couldn't have hoped for if she'd married Robert (whom she didn't seem to like very much). We know that Lyanna liked riding horses and was possibly a swordsman. Connington would have encouraged her, I think, and they could have found a happy sort of friendship/partnership.

Of course, the fact no one knows about such a marriage kind of kills the theory, really, unless this was kept secret for some reason or another.

Well... I did warn you it was a bit of a crackpot ;)

But why would Lyanna settle for this? She was supposed to be wild. I cannot imagine the idea of her being locked up in a tower, impregnated, then told to live the rest of her days as a SECOND wife to Rhaegar would seem appealing. Even if she were a romantic and even if she were in love, she doesn't seem the character to downgrade herself to this. Unless she didn't know... But Rhaegar would have known that was what to happen. Do he duped her? Told her that a prince and a wolf would just run off together away from their responsibilities and a sixteen year old girl believed him. He lied to her? Doesn't seem like the two of them were on the same page then.

She'd be the second wife he married, but the only wife who he loved. I don't think he lied to her in this.

Wild but immune to Rhaegar's charm and romantic songs. I don't think she was ever locked in the tower - it was probably originally a hiding place for both of them, and she was waiting for him to come back. Also, if she was in love with him, why shouldn't she wish to bear him a child? Being wild doesn't mean she has to detest being a mother.

As to the second wife issue: Rhaegar was very apparently trying to emulate Aegon the Conqueror, who married his two sisters as his queens and I don't think they had different statuses, therefore Lyanna could easily be a second wife in the chronological meaning but on a par status. Besides, she would be the first loved wife and have Rhaegar only for herself - which would hardly be the case with Robert, whom she'd have to share with someone else every fortnight or so. - Given these two guys as choices, I'm pretty sure I'd go for Rhaegar myself :-) Add to it that Lyanna is not enthusiastic about Robert, and you have a strong factor affecting her decision: either not an entirely ideal deal with Rhaegar, or a cheated wife till the end of her life (and given Robert's subtlety, a laughingstock of all Westeros).

Wild but immune to Rhaegar's charm and romantic songs. I don't think she was ever locked in the tower - it was probably originally a hiding place for both of them, and she was waiting for him to come back. Also, if she was in love with him, why shouldn't she wish to bear him a child? Being wild doesn't mean she has to detest being a mother.

As to the second wife issue: Rhaegar was very apparently trying to emulate Aegon the Conqueror, who married his two sisters as his queens and I don't think they had different statuses, therefore Lyanna could easily be a second wife in the chronological meaning but on a par status. Besides, she would be the first loved wife and have Rhaegar only for herself - which would hardly be the case with Robert, whom she'd have to share with someone else every fortnight or so. - Given these two guys as choices, I'm pretty sure I'd go for Rhaegar myself :-) Add to it that Lyanna is not enthusiastic about Robert, and you have a strong factor affecting her decision: either not an entirely ideal deal with Rhaegar, or a cheated wife till the end of her life (and given Robert's subtlety, a laughingstock of all Westeros).

But from everything we learn of her character she still doesn't seem to be the kind that would do such a thing. She's not a Targaryen, therefore why would she accept the idea of polygamy. She was young and wild and I see her more in love with the idea of running off with a handsome prince away from Robert as being more attractive than being told from the onset that she's to be his second wife. Plus, isn't Elia then meant to be queen in the future? She'd be wife to a king but not a queen. I think R+L=J exists, but I don't entirely believe that Lyanna was as in love with him as he to her. I think she wan't to escape Robert but was young enough to believe that Rhaegar could give it to her. Instead she died in a tower.

Besides, she would be the first loved wife and have Rhaegar only for herself

Surely she would feel sorry for Elia? She beared his children and now she has to be shoved on the backburner for this new Northern girl. I doubt Lyanna knew the complexities of Rhaegar and Elia's relationship but on the surface it appeared as if the two were happy, and they also had two children. Lyanna was a kind girl, I just honestly can't see her comfortable with the two wives situation. Ned described her as wolf blood, and always wanting to be free. And in my mind she's like an older version of Lyanna. Yes, she may become a romantic but I don't think she'd want to sacrifice her life like that UNLESS she really just wanted to escape Robert and saw it as her only way out. Thinking she could escape seems like a more plausible excuse than genuinely being in love.

Exactly!!!

If I'm a wild free spirit, of course I will consider marrying the crown prince and becoming a second wife! It sounds pretty awesome to me! A whole lot better than marrying the slutty lord of Storm's End.

But from everything we learn of her character she still doesn't seem to be the kind that would do such a thing. She's not a Targaryen, therefore why would she accept the idea of polygamy.

She's not looking at it as accepting polygamy...in her view she's accepting the idea of being in love with the prince who is already married. The Targaryren precedent for polygamy only gives her a way to be with him.

She was young and wild and I see her more in love with the idea of running off with a handsome prince away from Robert as being more attractive than being told from the onset that she's to be his second wife. Plus, isn't Elia then meant to be queen in the future? She'd be wife to a king but not a queen. I think R+L=J exists, but I don't entirely believe that Lyanna was as in love with him as he to her. I think she wan't to escape Robert but was young enough to believe that Rhaegar could give it to her. Instead she died in a tower.

And Rhaegar could have given it to her.

Surely she would feel sorry for Elia? She beared his children and now she has to be shoved on the backburner for this new Northern girl.

That's the common assumption people make. I don't view it that way and Lyanna may not have viewed it that way.

I doubt Lyanna knew the complexities of Rhaegar and Elia's relationship but on the surface it appeared as if the two were happy, and they also had two children. Lyanna was a kind girl, I just honestly can't see her comfortable with the two wives situation.

Being kind is a good reason for her to accept the two wives situation.

Ned described her as wolf blood, and always wanting to be free. And in my mind she's like an older version of Lyanna. Yes, she may become a romantic but I don't think she'd want to sacrifice her life like that UNLESS she really just wanted to escape Robert and saw it as her only way out. Thinking she could escape seems like a more plausible excuse than genuinely being in love.

Running off with Rhaegar wasn't sacrificing her life, it was securing a life for herself.

Lady Tippy Wolfsbane has already covered most points, so I would just like to address Lyanna's wildness. Whatever her inclinations and desires were, she was a mighty Lord's daughter, and thus a political pawn who would never, ever, be allowed to do as she pleased, and as Lord Baratheon's wife, the restrictions and demands would be even worse. She didn't love Robert, she knew he would be unfaithful to her, as Lady of Storms End, she would hardly be allowed to practice with sword like she did secretly at Winterfell, or have the freedom to roam the country on horseback as she used to. She would be caged till the end of her days, with no way out. Compared to this, does eloping with Rhaegar really sound so bad? It may not be perfect but it is a choice she made herself, not one that was forced on her. The way it ended was hardly something she, or Rhaegar, could have foreseen.

As for Elia: we have zero information how she felt about the whole matter, but given that she apparently knew about the prophecy, it is not impossible that Rhaegar had her secret approval. Furthermore, if Rhaegar and Lyanna treated her with affection and due respect after their return, the hurt would be rather diminished.

Actually, I've just read that it is possible for women to continue lactation weeks after giving birth. Granted, days might be more common...the source I have might not be trustworthy and I'm not a medical doctor :) ... but either way, I won't belive it's entirely impossible unless I read some sound medical article stating just that....

Of course for the theory to work at all, we'd need a lot of convenient circumstances coming together, though Ashara leaving Kingslanding with her brother, makes sense, no?

This is a bit of a strech, when I made this theory up, I didn't see any problem with Ashara still having milk. So, I'm a bit innocent in the ways of life :) Anyway, it would work if she kept milking her breasts, for some reason...though what this reason might be... is a mystery. Couldn't lactation have caused her pains, forcing her to squeeze the milk out of her breasts on a regular basis??

or maybe one of the Kingsguards had a very peculiar fetish. Sam seems to enjoy mother's milk, after all...

Well, I was basing my statement on my own experience. Having said that, I just read online that some women have been able to express milk up to a month after a stillbirth but "express" is the key. One would have to stimulate the production in order for it to continue that long, which some women apparently do in order to alleviate the pain of engorgement. The norm seems to be about a week with most doctors and lactation consultants recommending against any form of exp<b></b>ression.

The point is that most point to Ashara becoming pregnant at the Tourney of Harrenhal. Since we know Jaime Lannister was made a member of the KG there at age 15, and he was born in 266, the date range for the Tourney would be 281-282 (if he was born late 266, he would be 15 until his 16th birthday in late 282) The sack of KL occurs in 283, one year into Robert's Rebellion which began some time after Rhaegar ran off with Lyanna. Since the TOJ is also assigned to 283 and has been estimated to be over a month's journey from KL, (see http://sermountaingoat.co.uk/timeline/info/travel.xls) not to mention that it is likely Ned engaged in other battles in between KL and TOJ, it seems safe to exclude most of 282 in Tourney of Harrenhal range. So, at the latest Ashara's stillbirth would have occurred in late 282, and more likely earlier. For her to still have milk in mid to late 283 she would have to have been stimulating the production. Admittedly GRRM has presented us with some odd breastfeeding scenarios, but I think it's more likely that for your scenario to be plausible, Ashara was nursing an actual baby. I don't think that has been ruled out either. It's not the most cracked theory I've ever read (I've come up with more cracked than this myself) it just needs a bit of refinement.

Oh, one more thing- fever or infection would not have any affect on the safety or quality of milk (nursing is actually regularly recommended as one of the best cures for mastitis) but might affect the supply if the mother were simply too weak or sick to feed the baby.

Oh good Lord... this just made me think of Harry Potter dreaming of the halls of prophecies in HP and the Order of the Phoenix! Hah!

"...either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives..." :bang:

Lady Tippy Wolfsbane has already covered most points, so I would just like to address Lyanna's wildness. Whatever her inclinations and desires were, she was a mighty Lord's daughter, and thus a political pawn who would never, ever, be allowed to do as she pleased, and as Lord Baratheon's wife, the restrictions and demands would be even worse. She didn't love Robert, she knew he would be unfaithful to her, as Lady of Storms End, she would hardly be allowed to practice with sword like she did secretly at Winterfell, or have the freedom to roam the country on horseback as she used to. She would be caged till the end of her days, with no way out. Compared to this, does eloping with Rhaegar really sound so bad? It may not be perfect but it is a choice she made herself, not one that was forced on her. The way it ended was hardly something she, or Rhaegar, could have foreseen.

Precisely, and if Lyanna was truly the KotLT, Rhaegar knew of her wild nature and approved of it. He actually lover her for who was and not the political weight she carried. Plus, as a second wife she would be free to do more of what she wanted to do as the first wife retained more of the 'queenly' responsibilities.

As for Elia: we have zero information how she felt about the whole matter, but given that she apparently knew about the prophecy, it is not impossible that Rhaegar had her secret approval. Furthermore, if Rhaegar and Lyanna treated her with affection and due respect after their return, the hurt would be rather diminished.

Exactly.

Plus, even if you dismiss the prophecy Elia still had reason to accept a second wife.

She was the queen and a queen's main responsibility is to bear heirs to the throne. Elia had given Rhaegar one son. Her position as queen was already questionable and had Rhaegar not had any consideration for her feelings he could found a way to dismiss her and Aegon, while taking a new wife that could bear him multiple sons. She was allowed to maintain her position as the first wife and Aegon was still meant to be first in the line of succession. Elia should have been happy. She no longer needed to feel bad about not being able to provide heirs, and she no longer need to fear for the position of her and her children because she would still be the first wife.

Plus, even if you dismiss the prophecy Elia still had reason to accept a second wife.

She was the queen and a queen's main responsibility is to bear heirs to the throne. Elia had given Rhaegar one son. Her position as queen was already questionable and had Rhaegar not had any consideration for her feelings he could found a way to dismiss her and Aegon, while taking a new wife that could bear him multiple sons. She was allowed to maintain her position as the first wife and Aegon was still meant to be first in the line of succession. Elia should have been happy. She no longer needed to feel bad about not being able to provide heirs, and she no longer need to fear for the position of her and her children because she would still be the first wife.

Not to mention that if Rhaegar was hellbent on getting himself a second wife, Lyanna was far better choice than others (coughCerseicough). Also, consenting with Rhaegar's action actually gives Elia more power - as a decent guy he is portrayed, he might feel indebted to her for supporting him, while if she opposes, she can only lose. Everyone keeps bringing up how the Dornish are hot-headed, but Elia's own brother is an example of a cold-blooded pragmatist. She herself is described as witty and I do not see why she shouldn't be able to perceive the advantages and disadvantages of various alternatives and behave pragmatically, as well.

Should we put so much weight behind Jon's dreams? Are they prophetic at all?

He could dream about the crypts for any number of reasons really. Perhaps because he's anxious himself, because he's afraid of dying, or because he's not quite sure where his place is. The crypt is, after all, the resting place of the Stark ancestors. It's just as likely, he's simply afraid of never finding his place within that family and the dreams are the expression of his subconscious fears, the crypt being a metaphor of the Stark legacy which weights heavily on him.

So he could be looking for his mum, but he could also be looking for himself, too. I like the idea that Jon might be afraid of ever truly becoming a Stark. We know he wants to, dearly, but he might also believe that him being a Stark would mean the death of his siblings. There is in fact a dream where Jon first searches around Winterfell and panics, because all he finds are bones...then, he's being drawn to the crypts again.

Personaly, I think it would be kind of cool if Jon was really just a bastard. R + L, seems very very possible, but somehow...it's almost too easy and too much of a cliché.

Else... Aerys + Lyanna, would do nicely, too. Though admitedly, it raises some questions. Not least of all, why Lyanna would want to protect the child of the madman who raped her...

Anyway, if you add Aerys + Joanna = Jaime or Tyrion to the lot, and since the Dragon has three Heads, Dany would actually have two half-brothers and could take Aegon's place as center stage. Cersei wouldn't count, regardless of A+J being true, since it's likely she'll be dead by the time Dany shows up.

All three dragons would technically represent the same generation of Targaryens.

Not to mention that if Rhaegar was hellbent on getting himself a second wife, Lyanna was far better choice than others (coughCerseicough). Also, consenting with Rhaegar's action actually gives Elia more power - as a decent guy he is portrayed, he might feel indebted to her for supporting him, while if she opposes, she can only lose. Everyone keeps bringing up how the Dornish are hot-headed, but Elia's own brother is an example of a cold-blooded pragmatist. She herself is described as witty and I do not see why she shouldn't be able to perceive the advantages and disadvantages of various alternatives and behave pragmatically, as well.

Plus, the Dornish are seen as the most sexually liberal people in the text. While her marriage was arranged, she had a brother that married for love and another one that just spreads the love around.

A long as her and her children were safe I see no reason why Elia would object to the marriage.

Should we put so much weight behind Jon's dreams? Are they prophetic at all?

Yes, we should. Dreams mean a lot in ASOIAF, but people can have different interpretations.

He could dream about the crypts for any number of reasons really. Perhaps because he's anxious himself, because he's afraid of dying, or because he's not quite sure where his place is. The crypt is, after all, the resting place of the Stark ancestors. It's just as likely, he's simply afraid of never finding his place within that family and the dreams are the expression of his subconscious fears, the crypt being a metaphor of the Stark legacy which weights heavily on him.

So he could be looking for his mum, but he could also be looking for himself, too. I like the idea that Jon might be afraid of ever truly becoming a Stark. We know he wants to, dearly, but he might also believe that him being a Stark would mean the death of his siblings. There is in fact a dream where Jon first searches around Winterfell and panics, because all he finds are bones...then, he's being drawn to the crypts again.

For example, I totally agree with aspects of your interpretation.

Personaly, I think it would be kind of cool if Jon was really just a bastard. R + L, seems very very possible, but somehow...it's almost too easy and too much of a cliché.

It's not easy because most people never see it until it's pointed out to them.

Archived