First Production Stills from Season 3

Westeros

Fantastic, fantastically amazing.

Now take note:

- Bran has grown up!

- Mance has about 500 coats on at the same time, which looks cool. In fact, it makes it look really really very excruciatingly cold.

- Stannis has more of a beard than last season!

- The stark army is awfully close to the Twins in episode 5!

- Tyrion looks fucking stylish in black!

- We're being introduced to Thoros in episode 1!

- Brynden's outfit is kinda fishy!

- Dany is gonna get a whole lotta stuff with FIRE AND BLOOD cause she's ANGRY! Or maybe just looking into the sun.

- Beric does not look like the literally falling apart dead man I pictured in my head!

- Thomas Brody-Sangster is fucking perfect!

the picture of Beric might be taken before his death

Just to clarify on the Talisa thing, for those wondering, the error was from HBO's press office that sent out the images. Someone referred to an old, S2 interim casting list, obviously, when putting together the casting. Remember, originally they had Jeyne Westerling, then they were messing with the character so much that GRRM suggested they change her name to make it plain she was someone else. But, obviously, the change wasn't from Jeyne Westerling to Talisa Maegyr -- it was from Jeyne Westerling to Talisa Westerling. Only later still did they decide to jettison the Westerling connection entirely.

It might be expensive to show him on screen literally falling apart. Did he lose his eye during battle with the mountain?

I agree, if they didn't go all out on Tyrion, there's no way they were going to spend much on Dondarrion. The Seven Deaths of Dondarrion are detailed here, have a look :)

Finally, some publicity! Amazing photos. Love the Stannis one, showing how weary he's become from Melisandre and most likely deciding to sacrifice his daughter, since there is no Edric Storm.

And I'd rather they use the budget on big events (like RW and next season for the battle on the Wall) than making characters look more ugly. If they get the gest of it across like they have (Tyrion's scar, Beric's eye being stabbed out/looking damaged), then that's good for me. It'd be hell to have to get the actor ready everyday with such little time and minimal budget. For what they did, they did pretty damn good.

Not necessarily. This could simply be when she sees the Unsullied for the first time, or when she bargains with Kraznys et al.

She could be addressing the troops she already has.

I can't figure out if they are going to show her arrival at Astapor with some ship travel time or not.

I think the teleplay will rearrange some stuff. There are not that many Dany chapters in SoS but a hell of a lot happens.

We have that sequence of her riding a 'new Silver' and again addressing the troops , who see to be in , what?, charge mode?

'Dracarys' should , maybe should, occur early , even before episode 4....

A natural seeming stopping point is Yunkai ... tho have not seen any stuff that I could identify as coming from episodes 5-10 ...

By the by like the Unsullied uniforms better than the , pardons to GRRM, cartony ones George had.

I'm not sure what's cartoony about it. Spiked helmets? The Germans had those for quite awhile. Relatively minimal armor in the form of quilted vests? Makes sense in the context as your "basic Unsullied outfit" that you're free to customize.

All that black leather in a hot climate makes less sense, OTOH, especially when you spot photos of all those extras covered in sweat.

My main issue, though, is that it seems so derivative of generic sword-and-sorcery, Conan-esque sort of armor. It's an improvement over the Unsullied of the first episode of the series, to be sure, but otherwise it's very boring to me.

I do like that their faces are covered up, though. That's a nice touch in relation to their lack of individual identity.

I'm not sure what's cartoony about it. Spiked helmets? The Germans had those for quite awhile. Relatively minimal armor in the form of quilted vests? Makes sense in the context as your "basic Unsullied outfit" that you're free to customize.

All that black leather in a hot climate makes less sense, OTOH, especially when you spot photos of all those extras covered in sweat.

My main issue, though, is that it seems so derivative of generic sword-and-sorcery, Conan-esque sort of armor. It's an improvement over the Unsullied of the first episode of the series, to be sure, but otherwise it's very boring to me.

I do like that their faces are covered up, though. That's a nice touch in relation to their lack of individual identity.

O lord! The Pickelhaube was one of the most silly looking helmets ever invented.

After WWI the Germans corrected that with , one has to admit, very spiffy looking uniforms.

Bedouins wear black in even hotter climates, of course they are robes , I think there is a scientific study about how this with interesting results.

They kind of look like Hoplites, well kinda sorta,.... so one could say the Greek and Roman armys sort of have a sword-and-sorcery look, even tho those were very utilitarian uniforms evolved over centuries.

I never knew exactly what George had in mind, many artistic interpertations I have seen looked awkward.

These guys look more biz-like , so to speak.

We have only seen one, I wonder what the sell swoard companies will look like.

Heck I like ol' crazy John Milius's eye for costume in the first Conan film.

Which makes me wonder what Milius thinks of the show, he was a producer on ROME.

Finally, some publicity! Amazing photos. Love the Stannis one, showing how weary he's become from Melisandre and most likely deciding to sacrifice his daughter, since there is no Edric Storm.

Well, that would just destroy Stannis' character. Sacrificing his daughter? in the book he is fighting the war for her. He says it 2-3 times, it's his duty to fight for the rights of his daughter. Himself could give up the Iron Throne, but he has a heir.

I like how they haven't added a photo of Davos, all of the TV only audience will think he died on Blackwater

Or they just won't remember him at all

Probably the latter. :lol:

Beric in Episode 7? Sigh, I guess that means we are only getting the Arya and Hound adventures of one seen before the RW. Seriously, I think the producers either hate the character, the actor or both.

Also Sansa is way too happy in that picture. Even before the RW she was in a near constant state of dispair because of the forced marriage. Seriously, how badly are they going to go off piste with the storyline this season?

Beric in Episode 7? Sigh, I guess that means we are only getting the Arya and Hound adventures of one seen before the RW. Seriously, I think the producers either hate the character, the actor or both.

Or maybe Arya's entire arc in the fourth season will be focused on her travels with the Hound. Well, that's what I'm hoping for, at least :P

Archived