Ser Barristan Selmy...

Ser Grimes

Aegon already had enough, they knew where he was, he was safe and his time hadn't come yet. I think they needed Daenerys to screw things up faster than she did at that moment. They were going to bring her to Illyrio, her and the dragons (emphasis, yes) and the gods know what he wanted to do with them.

Illyrion wanted to take the dragons from Dany so he sent Belwas and Selmy to bring her back to Pentos so he can take the dragons and give them to Aegon. I doubt that Selmy knew about Illyrio`s real intentions, but as some of the users suggested before Jorah may have senced the true intentions of Illyrio and that`s why he suggested that they should go to Astapor and not Pentos

This is just a thought (and I woke up only like ten minutes ago so my head isn't all the way clear yet), but It also may have just been an attempt to get Ser Barristan out of the way. After being dismissed from the Kingsguard he was basically just an aging liability to anyone who helped him. Sending him over to Dany could have just been a way of getting him killed/out of the way while still letting him feel like he was accomplishing something. I don't think that anyone expected him to still be so competent though, so the plan might have backfired.

Several reasons:

1. As already mentioned, Barristan might have asked to be sent to Dany. Possible, but then why wouldn't Illyrio just tell him there was a better option?
  2. Covering his ass: Illyrio had sent Dany to the Dothraki sea to die. Now she lives, and has three dragons. He needs to find some way to prove his loyalty to her, and Barristan serves that role.
  3. Knowledge: Barristan is one of the few people who knew Aegon when he was very young. If there were any special attributes of Aegon (like birth marks or the like), Barristan would likely know. If fAegon doesn't have these attributes, Barristan might become suspicious.
  4. The Golden Company: Barristan Selmy was the man to slay Maelys the Monstrous on the battlefield. If there's any group of people who would raise Barristan's suspicion, it's the Golden Company. Illyrio can't have that happening.

Indeed, Illyrio not sending Barristan to Young Griff is one of the tell-tale signs that Young Griff isn't Aegon VI Targaryen, son of Rhaegar Targaryen.

Several reasons:

1. As already mentioned, Barristan might have asked to be sent to Dany. Possible, but then why wouldn't Illyrio just tell him there was a better option?

2. Covering his ass: Illyrio had sent Dany to the Dothraki sea to die. Now she lives, and has three dragons. He needs to find some way to prove his loyalty to her, and Barristan serves that role.

3. Knowledge: Barristan is one of the few people who knew Aegon when he was very young. If there were any special attributes of Aegon (like birth marks or the like), Barristan would likely know. If fAegon doesn't have these attributes, Barristan might become suspicious.

4. The Golden Company: Barristan Selmy was the man to slay Maelys the Monstrous on the battlefield. If there's any group of people who would raise Barristan's suspicion, it's the Golden Company. Illyrio can't have that happening.

Indeed, Illyrio not sending Barristan to Young Griff is one of the tell-tale signs that Young Griff isn't Aegon VI Targaryen, son of Rhaegar Targaryen.

Agree with this. I actually think having Barristan avoid Aegon is one of the biggest points here.

Several reasons:

:agree: Didn`t even think about the fact that Selmy is one of the few who could tell if Young Griff is really Aegon VI

:agree: Didn`t even think about the fact that Selmy is one of the few who could tell if Young Griff is really Aegon VI

How so? Aegon was a baby when he died/didn't die, so Barristan wouldn't have been able to recognize him anyway. I highly doubt Barristan Selmy would remember birth marks of Aegon after all those years - if he ever saw them.

It would still be a risk. And if it was something really blatant, I think Barristan would know. Would have to be part of the face though, or otherwise Pycelle (who was Aegon's physician, after all) would have noticed the difference. But something like blindness on one eye, or something similar, would definitely be something Barristan would have known.

Yea I also can't agree with all those.

1. Selmy set out to find his rightful king. Illyrio could have easily revealed Aegon to him and i'm sure he would have chose to go to him.

2. Makes some sense.

3. Def don't think Selmy is going to remember anything about a supposedly dead baby from 15 years ago. I DO think you're right that he might question Aegons sudden re-appearance. Like maybe ask details about the switch (which he is likely to do anyway since they were planning to have Aegon meet up with Dany pre-invasion)

4. I don't know what "raise his suspicions mean". They are a free company, currently in the employ of Illyrio-Varys to help Aegon. He would have to meet up with them eventually anyhow.

Are we sure THEY sent him anywhere or did I just miss that part of the book? It always seemed to me that he went looking for the true King or Queen and found her on his own. Maybe they assisted him but I don't think they were pulling his strings at all.

Not pulling his strings....but he came seeking his "true" king. And Illyrio def pointed him in the direction of Dany, not Aegon. Gave him ships, Belwas, cover story.

Barristan will be suspicious. He knows Varys and Illyrio work together. Whoever plays the GOT, they can't be trusted.

I too doubt if Barristan or anyone could recognize a teen when the last he saw of him was as an infant. I think the danger with Barristan is his history with the Golden Company which may give him doubts on why the Company would support a legitimate Targaryen heir when he knew how they fought for the Blackfyre claim.

Archived