"Wow I never noticed that" v.2

Lady Green

Somehow I missed the fact that Robert wanted to bring Maya to court at one point until now. Improves my opinion of him ever so slightly.

Her husband’s by-blows had his look as well, though at least Robert had the grace to keep them out of sight. Once, after that sorry business with the cat, he had made some noises about bringing some baseborn daughter of his to court. “Do as you please,” she’d told him, “but you may find that the city is not a healthy place for a growing girl.” The bruise those words had won her had been hard to hide from Jaime, but they heard no more about the bastard girl.

Damn, I seem to have been born without a gaydar.

After reading about Jon Connington's sexual preference, I told myself: Damn, now that I know it, it seems rather obvious. Silver prince etc... when the next book comes out, I'm gonna pick up on this kind of stuff!

Now I find out, that Daemon II Blackfyre was gay, and I totally missed that too! Maybe it's because I only listened to the audiobook... but shit, I just reread the scene where he talks to Dunk after the bedding ceremony, and that was ten times more obvious than Connington...

Damn, I seem to have been born without a gaydar.

After reading about Jon Connington's sexual preference, I told myself: Damn, now that I know it, it seems rather obvious. Silver prince etc... when the next book comes out, I'm gonna pick up on this kind of stuff!

Now I find out, that Daemon II Blackfyre was gay, and I totally missed that too! Maybe it's because I only listened to the audiobook... but shit, I just reread the scene where he talks to Dunk after the bedding ceremony, and that was ten times more obvious than Connington...

Caught this on my reread, when Daemon II is speaking to Dunk. "Perchance we'll meet again someday. I hope so. I should love to try my lance on you."

I never noticed it, but "the crone in the violet tokar" who bids on Tyrion in ADWD (the "and one" woman) is named Zahrina, and Tyrion is told that elderly Zahrina buys fighters, presumably for the fighting pits ("Cheap fighters, hers. Meat for heroes.") When the Dornishmen go to bargain with the Tattered Prince in Meereen, they do it at a place owned by a woman named Zahrina:

Then a door he had not seen before swung open, and an old woman emerged, a shriveled thing in a dark red tokar fringed with tiny golden skulls. Her skin was white as mare’s milk, her hair so thin that he could see the scalp beneath. “Dorne,” she said, “I be Zahrina. Purple Lotus.

And at Zahrina's establishment, Quentyn sees patrons

crowded around the pit at the far end of the room, where a pair of naked men were slashing at each other with knives whilst the watchers cheered them on.

If "crone in a violet tokar" Zahrina is the same woman as "Purple Lotus" Zahrina, which sounds pretty darn likely to me (why else would GRRM have the crone's name mentioned to Tyrion in the first place?), then that means that Meereenese citizens are buying and holding slaves within the city. The slave trade is alive within the city, just driven underground (literally, in Zahrina's case).

“They will know you at Castle Black, and maybe your coming will warn them.” He had thought of writing out a warning for Ghost to carry, but he had no ink, no parchment, not even a writing quill, and the risk of discovery was too great.

Jon thinks of using Ghost as a raven here. And since he can't use Ghost as a "black" raven (he can't attach a message to the direwolf), he hopes to essentially use the white direwolf as a white raven. The white ravens carry no messages, because their arrival is itself a message that the season has changed. Jon hopes Ghost's "message-less" arrival will warn Castle Black of the coming of a group he will later call "winter's people", so he hopes the white direwolf (larger and more clever than ordinary wolves, just like white ravens are larger and more clever than ordinary black ravens) will essentially play the role of the white raven by heralding the coming of "winter".

According to Ser Eustace Osgrey, Daemon Blackfyre died because he stopped to help Ser Gwayne Corbray, which gave Bloodraven and his Raven's Teeth the opportunity to take the Weeping Ridge and fire arrows down on Daemon and his sons. The sigil of House Corbray is three ravens, holding three hearts, on a white background, and Ser Gwayne was a member of the Kingsguard, whose banner is obviously white. So Daemon Blackfyre died at the hand of the albino "raven" because he stopped to help a "white" raven-sigiled man.

I think it's interesting that we see Belwas consume more than just locusts in Daznak's Pit:

He had finished all the honeyed locusts. He gave a belch and took a swig of wine.

Maybe's it's nothing, but . . . Dany drinks "sweet water" in Daznak's Pit but is never described drinking any of the wine, and Hizdahr is never described eating or drinking anything at all. Everyone, Belwas included, blames the locusts for his predicament, but if the Shavepate's story about the confectioner with the kidnapped daughter is indeed BS, as many believe, then I wonder if it's possible the wine, not the locusts, was what was actually poisoned? Food for thought, at least.

The Sons of the Harpy seem to choose their victims in multiples of three. The first dead man is Stalwart Shield, and it looks like he was killed alone. But after him,

“How many dead?”
Reznak wrung his hands. “N-nine, Magnificence. Foul work it was, and wicked. A dreadful night, dreadful.

“Storms rage within the walls as well as without. More freedmen died last night, or so I have been told.”
Three.” Saying it left a bitter taste in her mouth.

Ser Barristan had known all that. “And the butcher’s tally?” he asked, dreading the answer.
“Nine-and-twenty.”
“Nine-and-twenty?” That was far worse than he could ever have imagined. The Sons of the Harpy had resumed their shadow war two days ago. Three murders the first night, nine the second. But to go from nine to nine-and-twenty in a single night …
“The count will pass thirty before midday.

9, then 3, then 3, then 9, then 30 (or perhaps a few more than thirty---33, perhaps?). In this context, Barristan mentions a very interesting tidbit he's picked up about Meereenese religion:

Like its ancient predecessor, whose red marble halls were now the haunt of bats and spiders, the Meereenese pyramid boasted three-and-thirty levels, that number being somehow sacred to the gods of Ghis.

The Sons like killing in multiples of 3, and 33 is somehow sacred to the Meereenese religion. (I'm leaving out the confectioner's daughter, who the Shavepate says was returned to her father in 9 pieces, because that story isn't exactly reliable, though I do find the "9" there interesting.) Given the near certainty that the Harpy is the Green Grace, the fact that the Sons kill in multiples of three is probably not a coincidence, if the point is that "3" is to the religion of Slaver's Bay as, say, "7" is to Faith in Westeros.

How Bran actually meets Bloodraven. The entire description of the man went completely by me, even after readying the Dunk & Egg tales where Bloodraven is described very well. Also the words that the three-eyed crow says, in hindsight they made soooooo much sense, but during my first read, not so much.

Also, Jaime's hand being cut off, I didn't really get that until the start of his next chapter. I had to read the last couple of lines of that scene again, and when I finally got it, I was like "NOOOOOOOOO". Even though Jaime wasn't a nice person in his first few chapters, I already felt sorry for him when that happened..

Yes it was pretty subtle,whhaatttt I miss quite a bit myself but Jamie having his hand lopped off was pretty full on I thought unless you mean you the actual deed?

Mya Stone passed me by as one of Roberts bastards.

Sandor Clegane being one of the brotherhood,still can't find where it says he's one of them actually as all I can find is lem wearing the helm?

Sandor Clegane being one of the brotherhood,still can't find where it says he's one of them actually as all I can find is lem wearing the helm?

It's not stated in text, just fairly heavily implied if you can peace it together.

-very very tall new grave digger... over 7 feet. Sandor is one of few people that tall

-Stranger is on QI, we know no one else can get near the horse without being bitten, hence why Arya doesn't take him

-the good brother tells Brianne, "the Hound is dead" and "Sandor is at peace" not Sandor is dead

Yes it was pretty subtle,whhaatttt I miss quite a bit myself but Jamie having his hand lopped off was pretty full on I thought unless you mean you the actual deed?

Mya Stone passed me by as one of Roberts bastards.

Yeah, I meant the actual deed. I just thought they had hurt him, since Jaime was screaming. It wasn't until his next chapter that his hand was hanging around his neck, that I thought to myself "did I just miss something?"

Yeah, I meant the actual deed. I just thought they had hurt him, since Jaime was screaming. It wasn't until his next chapter that his hand was hanging around his neck, that I thought to myself "did I just miss something?"

Yep I'm with you it's one of those GRRM moments when you're thinking no surely not,aSOS was like that all the way through.

It's not stated in text, just fairly heavily implied if you can peace it together.

-very very tall new grave digger... over 7 feet. Sandor is one of few people that tall

-Stranger is on QI, we know no one else can get near the horse without being bitten, hence why Arya doesn't take him

-the good brother tells Brianne, "the Hound is dead" and "Sandor is at peace" not Sandor is dead

Thanks for that I remember reading at the time that I thought he wasn't dead,clever about his helm being seen on various folk ESP on Rogue is it?even Jamie says the rape at saltpans is unlike him.

I never noticed it, but "the crone in the violet tokar" who bids on Tyrion in ADWD (the "and one" woman) is named Zahrina, and Tyrion is told that elderly Zahrina buys fighters, presumably for the fighting pits ("Cheap fighters, hers. Meat for heroes.") When the Dornishmen go to bargain with the Tattered Prince in Meereen, they do it at a place owned by a woman named Zahrina:

And at Zahrina's establishment, Quentyn sees patrons

If "crone in a violet tokar" Zahrina is the same woman as "Purple Lotus" Zahrina, which sounds pretty darn likely to me (why else would GRRM have the crone's name mentioned to Tyrion in the first place?), then that means that Meereenese citizens are buying and holding slaves within the city. The slave trade is alive within the city, just driven underground (literally, in Zahrina's case).

Jon thinks of using Ghost as a raven here. And since he can't use Ghost as a "black" raven (he can't attach a message to the direwolf), he hopes to essentially use the white direwolf as a white raven. The white ravens carry no messages, because their arrival is itself a message that the season has changed. Jon hopes Ghost's "message-less" arrival will warn Castle Black of the coming of a group he will later call "winter's people", so he hopes the white direwolf (larger and more clever than ordinary wolves, just like white ravens are larger and more clever than ordinary black ravens) will essentially play the role of the white raven by heralding the coming of "winter".

According to Ser Eustace Osgrey, Daemon Blackfyre died because he stopped to help Ser Gwayne Corbray, which gave Bloodraven and his Raven's Teeth the opportunity to take the Weeping Ridge and fire arrows down on Daemon and his sons. The sigil of House Corbray is three ravens, holding three hearts, on a white background, and Ser Gwayne was a member of the Kingsguard, whose banner is obviously white. So Daemon Blackfyre died at the hand of the albino "raven" because he stopped to help a "white" raven-sigiled man.

I think it's interesting that we see Belwas consume more than just locusts in Daznak's Pit:

Maybe's it's nothing, but . . . Dany drinks "sweet water" in Daznak's Pit but is never described drinking any of the wine, and Hizdahr is never described eating or drinking anything at all. Everyone, Belwas included, blames the locusts for his predicament, but if the Shavepate's story about the confectioner with the kidnapped daughter is indeed BS, as many believe, then I wonder if it's possible the wine, not the locusts, was what was actually poisoned? Food for thought, at least.

The Sons of the Harpy seem to choose their victims in multiples of three. The first dead man is Stalwart Shield, and it looks like he was killed alone. But after him,

9, then 3, then 3, then 9, then 30 (or perhaps a few more than thirty---33, perhaps?). In this context, Barristan mentions a very interesting tidbit he's picked up about Meereenese religion:

The Sons like killing in multiples of 3, and 33 is somehow sacred to the Meereenese religion. (I'm leaving out the confectioner's daughter, who the Shavepate says was returned to her father in 9 pieces, because that story isn't exactly reliable, though I do find the "9" there interesting.) Given the near certainty that the Harpy is the Green Grace, the fact that the Sons kill in multiples of three is probably not a coincidence, if the point is that "3" is to the religion of Slaver's Bay as, say, "7" is to Faith in Westeros.

I like Zahrina's catch in particular, but all are nice!

-Never noticed that Theon's weapon of choice is the least Ironborn like.

As far as I remember I don't see any Ironborn using a longbow (which wouldn't surprise me, since they aren't weapons suited for unstable grounds and especially ships - Summer Islands' men use composed bows), and their favourite ranged weapons are crossbows or throwing axes.

The only time Theon use a more Ironborn weapon, namely the axe to execute Farlen, with disastrous results...

-In ASoS Tywin speaks about Tyrion's soon-to-be marriage with Sansa, stating that it's a great chance since in the past he has always been refused by any lord... namely Hoster Tully, the princes of Dorne, Yohn Royce, Leyton Hightower and the father of the Florent girl who had been taken by Robert during Stannis' marriage.

At first it stroke me as strange, since a)Tywin is not a caring man, at least not about Tyrion. Offering him to high lords without taking the chance to humiliate him? Unlikely. b) Oberyn states that Tywin offering Tyrion for marriage was a deliberate insult c) Tywin likes to lie and make himself look like a victim of the circumstances.

Judging these premises, I'm pretty sure to know who were Tyrion's eventual fiancees and what was the reason behind it: either Tywin wanted to insult someone, or the fiancee was technically eligible for marriage due to noble blood but actually a terrible match due to other characteristics.

-Lysa Tully: offering Tyrion is an insult. Jaime has been refused, so... "have this leftover"

-Elia Martell: Oberyn himself states that it was a deliberate insult. Same as Lysa, I believe.

-House Royce: Ysilla or Myranda are the only likely choices... however since Ysilla married recently for the first time I assume she was way too young back then, which leaves us Myranda. Young, nobleborn, almost virgin. Basically, a leftover if you forgive me this terrible word.

-Hightower: all the women are married... except Malora. The Mad Maid.

-Florent girl: most likely undesired due to Robert.

Needless to be said, during the chapter Tywin shows Tyrion an alternative to Sansa: Lollys, another unwanted candidate.

Jonos Bracken has only female children, and therefore if he were to die then the Brackens die out in the male line. The only male heir he COULD have called upon was killed during a Clash of Kings, his nephew as mentioned by Brynden Tully. So the Bracken name stands a good chance of dying out by the end of the series, potentially resolving the Bracken Blackwood conflict

Jonos Bracken has only female children, and therefore if he were to die then the Brackens die out in the male line. The only male heir he COULD have called upon was killed during a Clash of Kings, his nephew as mentioned by Brynden Tully. So the Bracken name stands a good chance of dying out by the end of the series, potentially resolving the Bracken Blackwood conflict

or jonos brackens heir marries tytos blackwood heir

Archived