"Wow I never noticed that" v.2

Lady Green

My own personal theory is that she never existed to begin with. It's interesting that she doesn't show up in Jaime's PoV or Genma's narrative, especially when you consider that she'd have died just before Aerys refused Cersei as a bride for Rhaegar. One'd think that it'd come up as say a bad omen or summat. The whole thing struck me as "off".There was something else about three highborn girls managing to sneak out of a castle unnoticed, in the dead of night and how unlikely that'd be, especially when one considers increased guards and septas. And where did the third girl go?

But what do I know.

The fact is that for Jaime, who lived with Lord Crakehall as a squire for years and then joined the KG and went to live in KL, Melara wouldn't have been important. She was Cersei's friend, not Jaime's. And Cersei thinks to herself "Jaime doesn't even know you are alive", which shows that Jaime really couldn't be bothered by Melara's existance. She was a girl, and he was a young boy. And young boys are more obsessed with swords and being a knight and fighting than by young girls.

The third girl got scared and ran away. If she was scared, she wouldn't have waited for Cersei and Melara to return from the tent. She probably just ran back to the castle.

They managed to sneak out of the castle because a tourney was going on. People were partying, drinking, dancing, having fun. Even the guards will participate a little, even those on duty. There are so many more people present that there normally would be, that, dressed in clothes of servants, they could easily sneak out unnoticed. And of course, sneak back in.

And I agree, Cersei was the one who killed Melara by pushing her in a well and leaving her there, causing the girl to drown. They easily could have sneaked back out again during the tourney, since the same chaos would still be in Casterly Rock. Cersei could have lured Melara out with an excuse, and told Jeyne she wasn't allowed to come along.

You death is here tonight, can't you smell her breath? That means Cersei was the one who did it. It doesn't mean it had to be the same night as the prophecies. Cersei believed Melara to be greedy, so perhaps Melara said something to Cersei in the following few days that Cersei took badly (as she does with so many things that aren't meant badly), causing Cersei to lure Melara out and push her down a well.

I mean, where did she go that night? I'm assuming of course, that Mellara died that night, in which case, wouldn't Jeyne have been with them?

As I said, Jeyne had probably ran back to the castle, where she could feel safe.

Catelyn in GoT tells Ned that the Queen's pride is said to grow with every year. Just realised this can have two meanings

1. Refers to her being a proud woman, proud of her looks, power wealth etc
  2. Her growing "pride" of lions; lickspittles and do-gooders such as Pycelle who are loyal to the Lannisters

Totally blew my mind :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sansa's hairnet amethysts = Cressen's weapon of choice against Melisandre = the purple stones Dany was given as a wedding gift.

They're a far cry from the Dothraki's usual gifts of leather vests and weapons*, which means she got them from Illyrio. Illyrio having them makes sense even though they're from Asshai because of the Rh'llor connection there and Pentos, as well as the fact that he had dragon eggs which came from one of two places: King's Landing or the far East.

And that means Illyrio, having been shown to possess a whole lot of very rare jewels and being one of the very few traders connected to both KL and Essos, was probably responsible for Littlefinger/Olenna's acquisition of them for the hairnet.

This also means that, as Cressen got his jewels from the Citadel, the Citadel has a trade connection with Asshai. Odd, considering their hatred of magic. Would they put that aside for the sake of some cool poison stuff, or would they rely on Illyrio to bridge the gap?

*Edit: Plus the Dothraki don't trade, only plunder, and they've never been to Asshai.

Sansa's hairnet amethysts = Cressen's weapon of choice against Melisandre = the purple stones Dany was given as a wedding gift.

They're a far cry from the Dothraki's usual gifts of leather vests and weapons*, which means she got them from Illyrio. Illyrio having them makes sense even though they're from Asshai because of the Rh'llor connection there and Pentos, as well as the fact that he had dragon eggs which came from one of two places: King's Landing or the far East.

And that means Illyrio, having been shown to possess a whole lot of very rare jewels and being one of the very few traders connected to both KL and Essos, was probably responsible for Littlefinger/Olenna's acquisition of them for the hairnet.

This also means that, as Cressen got his jewels from the Citadel, the Citadel has a trade connection with Asshai. Odd, considering their hatred of magic. Would they put that aside for the sake of some cool poison stuff, or would they rely on Illyrio to bridge the gap?

*Edit: Plus the Dothraki don't trade, only plunder, and they've never been to Asshai.

LF has connections in the Free Cities, since he's a lot in contact with all kinds of banks and such. I am sure he can get poison from Asshai if he wanted to. And Olenna seems to be the kind of person who can get what she wants. I doubt they needed Illyrio for that. Illyrio providing poison which killed Joffrey would even work against the plans of Varys and Illyrio. They wanted chaos to give Aegon the best chance of getting himself on the Iron Throne. And Joffrey was a master in creating chaos, since he wouldn't listen to anyone. It would be strange for Illyrio to remove the creator of chaos by provinding the poison to kill him, right?

That's a stretch. Not everything purple is the strangler, real amethysts do exist. Also they weren't stones, they were bottles:

Other gifts she was given in plenty by other Dothraki: slippers and jewels and silver rings for her hair, medallion belts and painted vests and soft furs, sandsilks and jars of scent, needles and feathers and tiny bottles of purple glass, and a gown made from the skin of a thousand mice. “A handsome gift, Khaleesi,” Magister Illyrio said of the last, after he had told her what it was.

That's a stretch. Not everything purple is the strangler, real amethysts do exist. Also they weren't stones, they were bottles:

I don't mean those ones, although i agree that not everything purple is the strangler. It's mentioned in Qarth that she gives away purple stones from Asshai that she was given at her wedding. I found it strange, too, that they weren't mentioned along with her original brides gifts, but they definitely do come up later in her story :)

I don't mean those ones, although i agree that not everything purple is the strangler. It's mentioned in Qarth that she gives away purple stones from Asshai that she was given at her wedding. I found it strange, too, that they weren't mentioned along with her original brides gifts, but they definitely do come up later in her story :)

Oh my mistake.

It's mentioned in Qarth that she gives away purple stones from Asshai that she was given at her wedding.

I don't see any mention of this anywhere. Could you quote where you're getting this?

These are not a catch of mine, I found them on the web and basically smacked my head for missing the connections!

1 Thoros of Myr won the Melee in the Hand of the King Tourney, Anguy won the Archery Tournament and Sandor Clegane won the jousting. Sandor however would be stopped by the BwB and would lose all of his money after being captured.

The BwB was funded by Eddard's tournament... somehow.

2 Hobb (NW's cook) likes Sam, since unlike everybody else... he doesn't complain about the food. As a result, anytime we find Sam traveling, we find he has extra food given to him by the cook. On the ranging I think it was a big sausage, on the trip to the sea it was a ham.

These are not a catch of mine, I found them on the web and basically smacked my head for missing the connections!

1 Thoros of Myr won the Melee in the Hand of the King Tourney, Anguy won the Archery Tournament and Sandor Clegane won the jousting. Sandor however would be stopped by the BwB and would lose all of his money after being captured.

2 Hobb (NW's cook) likes Sam, since unlike everybody else... he doesn't complain about the food. As a result, anytime we find Sam traveling, we find he has extra food given to him by the cook. On the ranging I think it was a big sausage, on the trip to the sea it was a ham.

Nice. And the second one might explain why Sam stays so fat.

I love both of these, especially the first one. And like Iona, I hope that it was all ultimately Tywin's money.

It only just really came through for me that Jon's foreshadowing dreams are definitely the Targaryen prophecy dreams. R+L=J is basically a fact, at this point, but I've been reading just thinking "wow thats a vivid interesting seemingly foreshadowing dream" but never really realized that it was prophecy in action.

Archived