Jons Parentage Revealed

NathanStark

That doesn't mean the Targaryens cant take two wives, the faith lost its war, the militant arm of the faith were disbanded, all rights of the faith to conduct trials and such taken away, and most importantly they would not interfere or say a word of protest regarding their practice of incest and polygamy, they targaryens were an exception when it came to marraiges, their valayrian practice of incest and polygamy was tolerated.

Yeah, I guess that could be enough to explain it. It's just that I'm not a fan of it, it sounds like a forced explanation to make it work, the easy way out if Martin wants to go that way. But that's just me.

Either way, considering everything we know about the world of ASOIAF and how it works, it is almost impossible for anyone (the characters) to believe the whole story involving the R+L=J, considering that the amount of people who knew about it are dead, with the exception of Reed, which will never be enough. Of course this is only relevant if Martin wants to make Jon a pretender to the Throne.

Well about Jon's parentage, I would fail to see why an author would make such a big mystery about it for most of his saga if indeed the parentage was not to play an important role once it was revealed... I mean if the identity of Jon's mom was to be unimportant to the story, we would already know.

Thus, I believe the revealing of Jon's parentage has to play a main role in the story. And this is why there obviously need to be other people than Howland Reed/greenseer who can potentially testify of Jon's identity.

But of course, this is just based on pure pragmatism as I really don't see why an author would build up such a big secret for it not to be important in the end of the day.

excellent question. Is there any reason he would NOT tell Danaerys? I can't think of one, but maybe someone else has an idea to that?

If Barristan knew, after leaving the Kingsguard he would have headed to the wall, not to Daenerys. Jon was King after Rhaegar & Aegon died, maybe before even Aegon was killed, so that would have been his place, by Jon's side. I think he had no idea about Jon, this explains why he went to Daenerys the only Targ he thought was left alive & in his mind, true heir to the throne.

I love this theory. I believe Bloodraven knows for sure, so it's logical to think Bran will also know eventually. Maybe there was a weirwood at the ToJ? Definitely a fun idea to play around with; weirnet is so full of possibilities!

And Cat giving Jon the kiss is simply poetic justice. There's a line in AGoT that comes to mind:

I feel like Catelyn's purpose in the story now (the reason she was brought back from death) is pretty much to resolve her wrong-doings while she was alive. However, I don't believe it's simply revenge on the Freys. There's a number of loose ends to tie together - Rob's will, the fact that it's pretty much all but confirmed the will was lost in the bogs (giving the perfect transition for Howland Reed to finally emerge into the current story), the Boltons, and re-capturing the north. Catelyn's crew will probably dispatch the Freys, but I can't see her doing anything but heading North shortly afterwards (I mean, she's still a Stark by name). And with Catelyn heading to Winterfell, and (from what I believe) Ghost (Jon) heading to Winterfell with Mel, it's the perfect setup (as crackpot as it sounds).

Speaking of crackpot, I think Stannis will be dying when the Catelyn and Jon party reach Winterfell. Jon will warg into Stannis and be revived by Catelyn's kiss. It's just the way I reconcile Mel's visions up to this point :)

It isn't confirmed about Robb's will and the facts within being lost, Lady Mormont and Glover went to the neck and just haven't been mentioned sense, they have to be alive Reed would take them in and hide them.

I think that either Melisandre is going to see Jons parents in flame or Quiathe telling Dany that she has a nephew

Then she will say one is fake, but one is true.

Ser Gerold Hightower, Ser Arthur Dayne & Ser Oswell Whent are the proof to me anyway, that Jon was Rhaegar & Lyanna's child & that he was for a brief while King.

That is a great fact, because the kingsguard do not only protect the king but the king's kin. At that point was it before the kings is dead though, because it seems that Jamie slays the king just before Ned gets to KL.

My problem with assuming this means he is referring to giving up the crown is that at this point Roberts thrown was as secure as ever. In all likelihood Jon would never have actually been giving up the thrown, just women, who Jon had in fact not experienced.

The dual meanings of something said is great. Jon wouldn't give up the thrown, just his right to it like Aemon, or Jamie and the Rock

What is this series called? A Song of Ice and Fire

A SONG OF ICE (stark) AND FIRE (targaryen)

A SONG OF ICE (lyanna) AND FIRE (rhaegar)

And you think Jon's parentage doesn't matter?

Thanks for letting me down :rolleyes:

I completely agree with you and people forget that at times. Nice post.

What if it true though ?? I personally think Quaithe is Shiera Seastar ;)

The Septa with Griff could be Ashara or Lyanna, but L is most likely dead given the bloody bed. The whole relation(parallel) of the two babes and Gilly comes to mind with this story, but was there just one baby or two, one black hair one white hair. Little Ned Dayne has the traits of a Targ and says he and Jon were Milk brothers.

I would like to know from the believers of R+L=J, just as a matter of thought, what would your reaction be if it will be revealed, in the end, that Jon is, in fact, Ned's bastard?

I have been following the forum for a long time now, and I really haven't seen this question ever pop-up, so I am really curious.

I would like to know from the believers of R+L=J, just as a matter of thought, what would your reaction be if it will be revealed, in the end, that Jon is, in fact, Ned's bastard?

I have been following the forum for a long time now, and I really haven't seen this question ever pop-up, so I am really curious.

It's a great question but it has been asked before. Speaking for myself (and I believe R+L=J), I wouldn't have any problem if it didn't turn out to be true. I have faith that Martin would make it logical and that's all that really matters to me. However, for now I continue to believe that while Jon is the Targaryen heir with the best claim to the Iron throne he will never rule the Seven Kingdoms - he has bigger fish to fry. After all, in order for Martin to play with and subvert certain fantasy tropes (the "hidden heir" in this case) he must first establish the trope ;)

That is a great fact, because the kingsguard do not only protect the king but the king's kin. At that point was it before the kings is dead though, because it seems that Jamie slays the king just before Ned gets to KL.

Game of thrones pg 425.

"I looked for you on the Trident" Ned said to them.

"We were not there." Ser Gerold answered.

"Woe to the usurper if we hadbeen" said Ser Oswell.

Why did three of the best Kingsguard not ride to battle at the Trident.

"When Kings Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your Kingwith a golden sword, and I wondered where you were."

"Far away" Ser Gerold said, "or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells."

Why where they not at Aery's side, protecting him & Rhaegars children. It was there job to protect the king & heir, both where at Kings Landing. Why use his name & not call him "King Aerys"

"I came down on Storm's End to lift the seige" Ned told them, "and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them."

"Our knees do not bend easily" said Ser Arthur Dayne.

If they hadnt been at the Trident Ned was sure they would be at the thick of the seige of Storm's end. Makes sense that three of the greatest warriors would be on one of these battlefields, but they where not.

"Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him."

"Ser Willem is a good man and true" said Ser Oswell.

"But not of the Kingsguard" Ser Gerold pointed out.

"The Kingsguard does not flee."

Not with King Aerys, not with his Heir Prince Rhaegar, not with Rhaegars heir Aegon, not with Viserys the last Targaryern heir.

This all says to me that Rhaegar had took control of the Seven Kingdoms before he set out for the Trident, his new son was in the belly of the woman he loved & before he headed north, he named his new son Heir to the Kingdoms. He took the greatest shield, Barristan Selmy & left the the Lord Commander & the next two best swordsmen with his Heir incase he did not return. It was by chance & love that Ned rode south after Lyanna, He could have took the Throne, but he loved his sister to much to leave her to her fate, anybody else would have killed the baby. Jon Snow is the baby of Ice(Lyanna) & Fire(Rhaegar) & is the only true heir to the Iron Throne.

Very good question. I think thats why its so good, one minute you think you've got something worked out, then GRRM pulls a "Red Wedding" on you. Untill I read it, I'm 100% convinced R+L=J, but in ASoIaF anything can happen & thats why I love it.

Wait a minute....where are people getting this Rhaegar is Jon's father business? His whole identity is based on the fact that he's NED STARK"S BASTARD. If he were the product of Rhaegar and Lyanna's affair, why on earth would Ned jeopardize his marriage with Catelyn, and condemn a nephew with dragon blood to a life of bastardy?

My idea would Howland Reed will tell Jon in a letter he'l send before he dies (for any number of reasons) in the TWoW prologue, but Jon won't get the letter til he reemerges as a POV past half way in the book. Mels will find out first, and realize Jon is the true PtWP and to be AA reborn.

It could happeen if GRRM read the R+L=J theory and was getting the shits with everyone spoiling his work but he said in a recent interview that he does not read fan fiction so thats my hope. Im a huge Jon Targaryen hopefull and if its true id like to see Jon somehow in a standoff with Drogon but Drogon and the other dragons know Jons a Targ and act all friendly (as friendly as dragons can be anyway) and thats how we find out Jons a Targ.

If you want to know this, there's threads dedicated to it (there's a search function).

Personally? I'd shoot Dany. :D

It could happeen if GRRM read the R+L=J theory and was getting the shits with everyone spoiling his work but he said in a recent interview that he does not read fan fiction so thats my hope. Im a huge Jon Targaryen hopefull and if its true id like to see Jon somehow in a standoff with Drogon but Drogon and the other dragons know Jons a Targ and act all friendly (as friendly as dragons can be anyway) and thats how we find out Jons a Targ.

Plus, this forum represents a very small percentage of fans and readers in the world. The vast majority of readers don't know about R+L=J.

Archived