Why Jon Snow is the true heir to the Iron Throne.

By chance I found what I believe proves that Jon Snow is the true heir of the Iron Throne. It is a common belief that Jon's parents are Rhaegar & Lyanna, but that Aegon was Rhaegar's heir & Jon still a bastard.

My theory starts in GOT, Ned has a dream "He Dreamt an old dream, of three knights in white cloaks, and a tower long fallen, and Lyanna in her bed of blood." "Bed of Blood" to me says a birthing bed, I see no other possibility. The three Kingsguard are decribed as "No Ordinary Three" Ser Arthur Dayne, The Sword of The Morning (considerd as second only to Barristan Selmy in Skill) Ser Oswell Whent (Not much about him, yet Ned notes "three against seven" so he must have a lot of skill) & Ser Gerold Hightower,the White Bull, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. The three best & proven shields of the king, with the exception of Barristan.

Game of thrones pg 425.

"I looked for you on the Trident" Ned said to them.

"We were not there." Ser Gerold answered.

"Woe to the usurper if we hadbeen" said Ser Oswell.

Why did three of the best Kingsguard not ride to battle at the Trident.

"When Kings Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your Kingwith a golden sword, and I wondered where you were."

"Far away" Ser Gerold said, "or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells."

Why where they not at Aery's side, protecting him & Rhaegars children. It was there job to protect the king & heir, both where at Kings Landing. Why use his name & not call him "King Aerys"

"I came down on Storm's End to lift the seige" Ned told them, "and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them."

"Our knees do not bend easily" said Ser Arthur Dayne.

If they hadnt been at the Trident Ned was sure they would be at the thick of the seige of Storm's end. Makes sense that three of the greatest warriors would be on one of these battlefields, but they where not.

"Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him."

"Ser Willem is a good man and true" said Ser Oswell.

"But not of the Kingsguard" Ser Gerold pointed out.

"The Kingsguard does not flee."

Not with King Aerys, not with his Heir Prince Rhaegar, not with Rhaegars heir Aegon, not with Viserys the last Targaryern heir.

This all says to me that Rhaegar had took control of the Seven Kingdoms before he set out for the Trident, his new son was in the belly of the woman he loved & before he headed north, he named his new son Heir to the Kingdoms. He took the greatest shield, Barristan Selmy & left the the Lord Commander & the next two best swordsmen with his Heir incase he did not return. It was by chance & love that Ned rode south after Lyanna, He could have took the Throne, but he loved his sister to much to leave her to her fate, anybody else would have killed the baby. Jon Snow is the baby of Ice(Lyanna) & Fire(Rhaegar) & is the only true heir to the Iron Throne.

I agree with you that Jon is the heir to the Iron Throne but he isn't a Targ bastard because if he was a bastard then the Kingsguard wouldn't stay and protect a bastard when they could go to Viserys. But this means nothing as long as the Baratheons (and Lannisters) sit the throne. They are rulers by right of conquest, the only way Jon will be proper heir to the Iron Throne is if the Targs take back the throne through conquest.

You do realise the Targs lost the Iron Throne, right? So none of them can be the true heir.

Indeed, he can wave as many mouldy bits of parchment as he likes but it isn't going to make a blind bit of difference until and unless he rides up to the Iron Throne sword in hand. Entitlement (or presumed entitlement) counts for nothing in this game.

I agree with Harry. When Jon took the black, he renounced claims to anything. Bastard or not, Targaryen or Stark, he is heir to nothing.

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death.

I think he is freed of any vow.

I agree with you that Jon is the heir to the Iron Throne but he isn't a Targ bastard because if he was a bastard then the Kingsguard wouldn't stay and protect a bastard when they could go to Viserys. But this means nothing as long as the Baratheons (and Lannisters) sit the throne. They are rulers by right of conquest, the only way Jon will be proper heir to the Iron Throne is if the Targs take back the throne through conquest.

The KG can do what they are ordered to do, if they were ordered to stay and guard that tower no matter what, then guess what thats exactly what they did, so thats probably what was asked of them. They already said they weren't at all those other places, places where naturally the KG would be. There is a reason for that, and its not because they made the decision themselves, they were told where to go and what to do. It has nothing to do with whether Jon was more or less legitimate than Viserys, or heck if Jon was even there at all.

he named his new son Heir to the Kingdoms.

Just so you know, a king can't just name his heir, there is law involved, and birth rights are kind of a big deal in this story. The last time a king named his heir it was a bastard and the church denounced his claim (the first Blackfyre). The popular theory is Rhaegar and Lyanna were actually married because polygamy was a former practice of Targaryens many years ago.

Lets keep Jon away from that ugly chair. There is nothing great or interesting about Jon becoming King, I do not want Jon in that hell hole of Kingslanding Jon deserves better than that.

If it means Jon never becomes King than I hope he never finds out R+L=J of its true and I hope he dies before he ever glimpse that ugly thing they call The Iron Throne

The KG can do what they are ordered to do, if they were ordered to stay and guard that tower no matter what, then guess what thats exactly what they did, so thats probably what was asked of them. They already said they weren't at all those other places, places where naturally the KG would be. There is a reason for that, and its not because they made the decision themselves, they were told where to go and what to do. It has nothing to do with whether Jon was more or less legitimate than Viserys, or heck if Jon was even there at all.

The first rule of the Kingsguard is to protect the king. If Rhaegar and Aerys are both dead, then Viserys is king. Did Viserys order them to stay at ToJ? If the current king did not order them to stay at ToJ, then why are they there?

Archived