Game of Thrones Video Log: Iceland

Westeros

There's probably only a handful of bears trained to be in those kind of scenes in the world. The one they shot with ("Bart") is one of the more famous ones in the industry.

An entirely CGI'd bear on a TV budget would look absolutely horrendous. I'm glad they went in this direction. Whenever you can opt to use practical effects as opposed to CGI, you do it.

Gwendoline Christie and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau must have snuck into LA 'cause I heard of no sightings ... except for the blurb that actors had been flown over.

Nikolaj was already in the USA doing publicity for Mama. There are pics of him and Gwendoline at the HBO post-Golden Globes party in LA a few days before they were going to shoot the scenes, though I haven't seen any interviews with her. I just hope that when they eventually do some of the cast panels and interviews after Season 3 has aired, they get asked to talk about their filming with Little Bart - it must have been an absolutely amazing, awe-inspiring experience.

An entirely CGI'd bear on a TV budget would look absolutely horrendous. I'm glad they went in this direction. Whenever you can opt to use practical effects as opposed to CGI, you do it.

Must have a better eye than me, I have watched all the LTOR films on high def TV and all the CGI-ed creatures looks perfect to my eyes.

In fact all the CGI animals and monsters I have seen in the movie theater , all the well done ones, looked fine to me when rebroadcast on TV.

Dany's CGI dragons , what little we have seen of them, look very good to me.

Dany's dragons are among the only CGI creatures I ever liked. In this category are also the aliens of District 9 and the fish-men of Pirates of the Carribean.

Everything else I've seen so far is just disgusting... CGI is very very difficult for flesh and bones rendition.

Yeah, Peter Jackson had tens of millions of dollars and years to get his CGI the way he wanted it. GoT doesn't get that luxury. It's a miracle they got the dragons to be so good. But there's also a reason why we get to see the dragons for a total of about 30 seconds over the course of a season.

Yeah, Peter Jackson had tens of millions of dollars and years to get his CGI the way he wanted it. GoT doesn't get that luxury. It's a miracle they got the dragons to be so good. But there's also a reason why we get to see the dragons for a total of about 30 seconds over the course of a season.

They have not olnly done the dragons but also back drop cities, buildings, and landscapes ... now , yeah, I know these are static... but they sure looked good.

I don't quite know why CGI costs so much, I guess it does?, in 2013 ... there seeem to be a zillion VFX houses now and computing power jumps each year.

Would like to see the figures.

Yeah I can understand the difference between 300 million and 60 - 70 million.

@Arkash

You are talking TV CGI VFX , right?

They have not olnly done the dragons but also back drop cities, buildings, and landscapes ... now , yeah, I know these are static... but they sure looked good.

I don't quite know why CGI costs so much, I guess it does?, in 2013 ... there seeem to be a zillion VFX houses now and computing power jumps each year.

I costs so much because it takes hours upon hours upon hours to get it right. Yes, those CG building look amazing but they are, indeed, easier to make because they are static. Making a CG character look and especially, move believably is about ten times harder, thus costs way more manhours. Just look at those giants in the Jack the Giantslayer trailers. Huge budget, loads of time (the movie has been post-poned 9 months), but the giants still look incredibly fake.

As far as the giants and mammoths are concerned, D&D are already laying down hints that the Battle of the Wall is going to one up Blackwater in epicness. My guess is that we'll get one or two shots introducing them as part of Mance's army and acouple of shots with them in the background before we eventually get the actual battle.

I hope so! But in this case we miss the scene Jon and Thormund watching the giants on their mammoths passing. And the conversation between Thormund an Mag the Mighty... A pity, I laughed a lot by reading this!

I think you have to consider that even as computing power increases, so does the visual fidelity of CGI. Part of the reason that CGI is expensive is because it takes so long for computers to render the scenes. I remember watching one of the behind the scenes videos for the Star Wars prequels and the VFX guys were talking about how some shots of General Grievous took over 40 hours to render one single frame and each second has 24 frames, so yeah that's a long time.

Are there any statements if we will have giants? I hope they will not cut them completely for budget-reasons. Even if that would save me from the risk of retching when they made them look like Chewbacca...

Looks like Ian Whyte who played Gregor last season, and an Other in season 1 will now be playing a giant in season 3. My guess is Mag the Mighty.

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/02/mgot-filming-in-mances-camp/#comment-239170

Tormund has them crazy eyes... Me like! :wideeyed: It sure is a younger looking Tormund, but hey - at least he looks crazy enough! You know, crazy, but in a good way :laugh:

TORMUND :D I am SO excited - he's perfect!!

And yes... crazy in a good way :thumbsup:

Can't wait to hear about that epic member Har! Har! Har!

boojam, Arkash...

King Tommen meant CGI created with TV budget money would look horrendous, not movie created CGI appearing on TV

In any cases it's ugly !

Everybody has only acclaims for the ones in Lotr but they aged pretty badly... I find them quite lame to be honest.

The problem with CGI is that it can in some occasions rock (District 9, PotC...), but since the producers use them to save money (and not use old fashioned trickeries), the teams do tend to spoil them, since they end up having to do them in a very short lapse of time.

Archived