Some respect for Lady Catelyn

Lion of Judah

I don`t think that anyone really hates Catelyn, but she doesn`t get that much love because she was resurected and other characters, who are considered by most of the forum members favourites, like Ned or Robb died for real. I think the hatred towards Cat comes from the fact that she got a second chance and other characters didn`t and not from her decision making. I think there are very few people who can say that they hated Catelyn even before she was resurected

I don`t think that anyone really hates Catelyn, but she doesn`t get that much love because she was resurected and other characters, who are considered by most of the forum members favourites, like Ned or Robb died for real. I think the hatred towards Cat comes from the fact that she got a second chance and other characters didn`t and not from her decision making. I think there are very few people who can say that they hated Catelyn even before she was resurected

Well, in a poll on another site she was I think the 9th most hated character in ASoIaF. Came just before Ramsay Snow (this was before aDwd came out).

But I have always like Catelyn very much. Even though I agree that the "letting Jaimie go" decision was a bad one, I can't overlook in what kind of emotional state she was in. I mean, I have seen people(very few though) try to defend some of Cerseis action because she had lost a son and a father. But when we look at Cat she has lost a husband, two sons, a father and possibly two daughters. So I have to cut her some slack because of recent events.

I think she makes a lot of very sound decisions. People just seem to dislike her because of their first impression of her that they got when she was nasty to their little Prince that Was Promised.

But Catelyn and Lady Stoneheart are not the same people. Cat isn't getting a second chance at life. Lady Stoneheart is a vessel for all of Catelyn's hysteria and hatred and vengeance, she or it is nothing more.

I should rephrase "she seems to be getting a second chance". I also don`t consider Catelyn and Lady Stoneheart to be the same

But Catelyn and Lady Stoneheart are not the same people. Cat isn't getting a second chance at life. Lady Stoneheart is a vessel for all of Catelyn's hysteria and hatred and vengeance, she or it is nothing more.

There is a nice topic about this, where there are plenty of clues that she is still the same person.

Anyway, I love Cat. Enough said.

The thing about her releasing the King Slayer that I overlooked...Rickard Karstark was the one who was really upset about her releasing Jamie and got into her face about it. The interesting thing was the person who defended her was GreatJon who up to this point had lost sons as well if I'm not mistaken. So it seems to me that even though many of the men weren't happy with what she did, for the most part the understood why she did it.

Yep, see also Maege Mormont for this who pretty much admits that she would have done the same. I honestly always thought that exchanging Jaime for Sansa from the beginning would not have been that stupid. Jaime might be a great warrior but as general he is not that good. Besides, given his membership of the KG Tywin would not have been able to use him to secure an marriage alliance. Sansa on the other hand could have been instrumental to secure an alliance with one of the great houses.

I really love this thread. There is so much Cat hate on this board that I really enjoy to find one place where we Cat lovers can gather. I also like her pragmatism and her strength so much and I never thought her character was "whiny" and that she was "stupid". Even when she did things that left me a bit uncomfortable as modern feminist (like first evaluating Jeyne´s hips and ability to bear children) I totally got where she was coming from (in this case from the insight that only the birth of a heir could mend some of the damage Robb´s wedding had done)

Ohh sweet summer child...I hope you never have to encounter the Cat=Great Other, or Tully Blood= pollution of awesome Stark gene pole threads.

Besides, I do not get the argument that Cat´s resurrection was a good thing for her. Being undead she cannot move on and has to deal with the torturous grief of losing most of her family all of the time. If this is not hell, then I do not know....

Cat is one of my favorite characters, probably because she is the one character in the series that I can relate to the most and I admire her strength and intellect. Yes, she makes some bad decisions but all of the characters make bad decisions. Robb makes one of the most egregious decisions of any character when he decided to marry Jeyne, but people just love him. So I'm not sure what the Cat-hate is based upon. Is it because of the Jon thing? I don't know. I'm a big Jon fan and a Cat fan, I think you can appreciate both characters for where they are and who they are and why they do the things they do.

Releasing Jaime is probably her worst decision and yet, I can completely understand it and would have done the same exact thing, if it were me. I would do whatever I could do to save my children. One of the only things Cat does that I struggle with is her trusting Petyr. But he seems to fool a lot of people and it seems that a lot of the "highborn" folks (even Tyrion who is pretty sharp and knows not to trust him) just seem to take him for granted and overlook him. I think it comes from their idiotic adherence to their ideas about class and status in society.

Even when she did things that left me a bit uncomfortable as modern feminist (like first evaluating Jeyne´s hips and ability to bear children) I totally got where she was coming from (in this case from the insight that only the birth of a heir could mend some of the damage Robb´s wedding had done)

Yes, Cat may not always be "super nice" about political realities, but she is very often correct. :)

Plus mentioning the feminist angle, I think she's fabulous in that she starts out really toeing the line of being a proper lady and she ends up being anything but and really chafing against her limited role.

Yep, see also Maege Mormont for this who pretty much admits that she would have done the same. I honestly always thought that exchanging Jaime for Sansa from the beginning would not have been that stupid. Jaime might be a great warrior but as general he is not that good. Besides, given his membership of the KG Tywin would not have been able to use him to secure an marriage alliance. Sansa on the other hand could have been instrumental to secure an alliance with one of the great houses.

I really love this thread. There is so much Cat hate on this board that I really enjoy to find one place where we Cat lovers can gather. I also like her pragmatism and her strength so much and I never thought her character was "whiny" and that she was "stupid". Even when she did things that left me a bit uncomfortable as modern feminist (like first evaluating Jeyne´s hips and ability to bear children) I totally got where she was coming from (in this case from the insight that only the birth of a heir could mend some of the damage Robb´s wedding had done)

Ohh sweet summer child...I hope you never have to encounter the Cat=Great Other, or Tully Blood= pollution of awesome Stark gene pole threads.

Besides, I do not get the argument that Cat´s resurrection was a good thing for her. Being undead she cannot move on and has to deal with the torturous grief of losing most of her family all of the time. If this is not hell, then I do not know....

I never said that Cat being resurrected was a good thing for her. On the contrary I believe it`s the worst that could have happened to her, I was just trying to explain why Cat seems to be hated by most. For the record Cat was my favourite POV, and I really liked her character

Oh my you live in Cardiff! Are you Welsh? Wales is so mythful, what with being the home of King Arthur, Torchwood and the original Brits.

I was born in Cornwall, which is just as mythical; ie cornish pixies, mermaids, the lost lands of lionesse and loads of king arthur tales too. But my Father's Welsh and most of my family are from Wales and at the moment I'm living in Cardiff, yeh :lol:

I'm quite proud to be from two really cool pretty places

I was born in Cornwall, which is just as mythical; ie cornish pixies, mermaids, the lost lands of lionesse and loads of king arthur tales too. But my Father's Welsh and most of my family are from Wales and at the moment I'm living in Cardiff, yeh :lol:

I'm quite proud to be from two really cool pretty places

You forgot the Cornish giants! Cornwall and Wales-the two most rebellious counties I believe?

Yes, Cat may not always be "super nice" about political realities, but she is very often correct. :)

Plus mentioning the feminist angle, I think she's fabulous in that she starts out really toeing the line of being a proper lady and she ends up being anything but and really chafing against her limited role.

Yes, I like the subtle way gender questions are raised in her arc. I always thought that the whole Jon story was also so troubeling to her because it was the first time she deeply and openly felt the constraints of being a woman in Westeros. One can argue that her marriage with Ned (instead of Brandon) also showed this but I guess she would have been able to view this as her (gender-neutral) obligation as a Tully ("family, duty, honour"). Ned bringing Jon to WF on the other hand was a breach of her honor (as noblewoman and Tully) but she correctly assumed that she was completly helpless to change the situation.

I never said that Cat being resurrected was a good thing for her. On the contrary I believe it`s the worst that could have happened to her, I was just trying to explain why Cat seems to be hated by most. For the record Cat was my favourite POV, and I really liked her character

Sorry, did not want to imply that. English is my second language and sometimes I am a bit clumsy with my wording :-)

You forgot the Cornish giants! Cornwall and Wales-the two most rebellious counties I believe?

Well, Wales is a country, but yeh; there are quite a few Cornish people who would have cornwall as it's own country because it has its own language (which is almost dead now though) it has it's own traditional songs and folklore and its own flag; but personally; it'd be silly if it broke away from England. And the Welsh detest being thought of as english LOL i'm half and half though - so i just say i'm british :D it's easier

Archived