Very important character [Potential Winds of Winter Spoilers]

StannisEndGame

GRRM created these characters, so he sees a bigger distinction between Mago and some random Dothraki than D&D or the audience.

BTW, the OP is our only source that this character was 'very important', but he/she hasn't provided any sources to substantiate this claim, so I wouldn't get hung up on that point.

I saw an interview where Martin says that some minor changes in the show will affect the story greatly in the future. He mentioned Mago, and how he liked the scene with his fight with Drogo that they created for the series but said this would create a "butterfly effect" when Mago plays a major role in TWOW. I just said that this is insignificant in front of other changes in the series and can be easily fixed IMO. Of course that GRRM sees a big difference between Mago and other Dothraki but in terms of plot I think it is minimal.

I doubt that even Martin sees any difference between Irri and Jhiqui though.

Definitely leaning towards Theon. His shennanigans acts in Season 2 will have the TV fans raging. Killing him off neatly at winterfell via Ramsay or something equally appealing would save alot of trouble down the road keeping his character in.

He's not due to be seen til Season 6(?) onwards, and thats a good few years for the person who played Theon to grow up, it's unlikely he'll look exactly the same in 5 years from now. Also, if they kept him on without mentions, people would wonder what happened.

-, after book 2, or season 2 or whatever, most of us would loved to have seen Theon dead. Would have been very appeasing.

Asha, Euron, Victarion AND Damphair are all POV characters, i think they would've wanted to trim the Greyjoys one, they have more POVs than Starks.

LASTLY, when you mention 'something important' in TWoW, instinct tells me Theon with his redemption arc

SPOILERS

Euron does not have a POV.

Theons story is easily picked up a couple of episodes into s3, his betrayel by ramsy, his torture, The attempted escapes, his break with reality. all this could be done via his POV in the show instead of remembered.

It's all fresh material, doesn't need to be alot, a scene an episode, plus it keeps Alfie working, his story doesn't link with the main line until after the red wedding anyway which is fine as he'll be with roose and co by the opening of season 4 and on his way too or perhaps in winterfell by the end of it.

I miss the Great Jon...

I don't think it's Bronn. The moment when he abandons Tyrion in ASOS emphasizes how alone Tyrion is at that stage. Even if he doesn't do much else in the book, it's worth keeping him around in the series just for the dramatic weight that moment will have.

Lancel and Rickon both seem strong possibilities.

I don't think it's Bronn. The moment when he abandons Tyrion in ASOS emphasizes how alone Tyrion is at that stage. Even if he doesn't do much else in the book, it's worth keeping him around in the series just for the dramatic weight that moment will have.

Shae can play the same role.

Shae can play the same role.

It's the feeling of him being abandoned by one person after another that grants it such weight. First Bronn, then Varys, then the ultimate betrayal by Shae.

Gradual escalation, the audience needs to see this for Tyrion's situation to have the desired emotional impact.

Actually, somebody mentioned the GreatJon, and that's not a bad guess. In the books he's basically missing while imprisoned at the Twins, correct?

Suppose they decided due to the scheduling problems and whatnot to just get rid of his character (assuming that another northman could simply fill in for his parts later)? Only for GRRM to remind them that he's not dead and is potentially one of the few Northmen who has both a) the knowledge of Stark children to confirm their identities, and B) enough power & influence to not only go to battle for them but to rally the North.

Then again - this runs into the same issue that Mago or Rakharro or Irri have - it'd be too simple to replace those characters with another simply for TV purposes without it really mattering.

So if I had to put $$$ on it - I'd guess Theon. He disappears for a very long time, and the Reek stuff isn't really necessary. Add in that the character is large enough that him being killed off would make financial sense for HBO, and that he's well known enough that you can't simply replace him without consulting with GRRM and I think it fits the best. I'd say Bronn has the second best odds, if they assumed that he was being written out of the books to go retire to his new life and decided to give him a glorious death instead - but I think Theon still has better odds.

My first thought was Benjen, I don't know why. Maybe to close a loop in the series. It could have potentially been worked in with the Great Ranging somehow. I don't know if it would have caused too much angst in the storyline, either, given the Night's Watch have other things to worry about.

All the theories are so interesting, though.

Archived