Very important character [Potential Winds of Winter Spoilers]

StannisEndGame

Um, I guess the OP meant this:

Are there any changes the TV show made that you particularly liked?

I loved some of the new scenes they added. As a novelist, I have certain tools like internal monologue and the device of the unreliable narrator. I can have flashbacks and dreams, which are pretty hokey in a TV series. So they had to insert some new scenes. I loved the interplay between Varys and Littlefinger, which never occurred in the books since neither is a viewpoint character. I loved the scene of Drogo ripping out Mago’s throat, which was entirely new. But that’s going to have ramifications if we go the full length down the pike. I’ve talked to Dan and Dave about the butterfly effect — you’re familiar with the classic Ray Bradbury short story?

A Sound of Thunder. One of my favorites.

Step on a butterfly in the Pleistocene Era and it changes everything in year 2000. [MILD BOOK 6 SPOILER WARNING] So Mago is not dead in the books. And, in fact, he’s going to be a recurring character in Winds of Winter. He’s a particularly nasty bloodrider to one of the other Khals that’s broken away after Drogo dies. This is the challenge the shows face as we go forward. There will be divergences, they’re trying to be faithful and Dan and David are doing a wonderful job. But the books are plotted so intricately that you do step on a butterfly in season one and in season four you’re going to have to deal with that. There’s also another character, [the singer] Marillion, who also got his tongue ripped out in season one, and that doesn’t happen with the books. Joffrey makes that decision, but it’s an unnamed bard. Marillion [has more to do]. We ought to call it The Tongue Effect instead of The Butterfly Effect.

The interview.

It cannot be a character that already had plenty of shit to do in books 3...5 (or one of them). So no Davos, no Hound, no Barristan, no Theon. Rather not Osha, either, that would make little sense (if she's not around to take care of Rickon, then what's the point of introducing her character at all?).

I'm with those who said Lancel. Who wouldn't want to write him off the show as soon as possible?

1) can we move this to the show forums

2) could be a number of people - given what we know is probably 1/2 the story there is a very strong chance whomever they would want to kill off could have whatever important part they play passed on to someone else. Some things in the books that seemed critical to have Person A do it/pass on the info were changed in the TV show and worked fine.

Given what happened with Theon, that would be a good bet but there are a ton of options available.

It's the Mago comment I'm sure - however this really isnt such a big deal for the TV show as they can just have a new character who can reference that he was with Drogo - there's no way they would have paid the actor a retainer anyway as this could be in another 4/5 seasons and he might not be available and no one would really remember anyway.

What about Theon? He hasn`t done anything worthy for three books. I possibly agree on Lancel, but not on Bronn, it seems to me that he`s liked by the fans.

That was my first thought too. The whole Reek thing would be kind of awkward to put in the show,he really didn't do anyhting too vital in ADWD, and theres also a fair chance that he could be important in TWOW.

Also, Theon's "capture" in the show was terriible, they might have just been planning for him to get killed by his own men then just changed it at the last minute.

That was my first thought too. The whole Reek thing would be kind of awkward to put in the show,he really didn't do anyhting too vital in ADWD, and theres also a fair chance that he could be important in TWOW.

Also, Theon's "capture" in the show was terriible, they might have just been planning for him to get killed by his own men then just changed it at the last minute.

I am one of those who saw the TV series first and then read the books, and when I saw the Theon "capture" I was convinced they would kill him and I was very shocked to find out in the books that he was still living, so I guess it could be him

It's the Mago comment I'm sure - however this really isnt such a big deal for the TV show as they can just have a new character who can reference that he was with Drogo - there's no way they would have paid the actor a retainer anyway as this could be in another 4/5 seasons and he might not be available and no one would really remember anyway.

Mago already died in the first season. This character is apparently alive after season 2 when the writers would rather have had him/her killed.

Archived