Very important character [Potential Winds of Winter Spoilers]

StannisEndGame

Maybe it was Sam? His story does basically nothing but introduce us to Coldhands and let us cross paths with Bran and Arya from another POV while they are off discovering themselves. His POV bores the shit out of me and I can't imagine it translating very well to TV. Especially his AFFC story. Hell, outside of sending Marwyn to Dany, I don't know what the hell Sam is going to do at the Citadel in tWoW but bore me.

I do, however, think Bronn or Lancel is more likely.

It'll be Xaro. That's why they had him locked up and seemingly doomed; if they find out they can work without him when they come to film the WoW stuff, then all's well. If not, they can have him pop up with some handwave tale explaining how he was able to get free; the vault's invulnerability being another deception designed to discourage thieves, probably.

Well they offed Rakharo, irri, jiqui, pyatt pree, and doreah(kind of).

Lancel is a good bet, Bron maybe?

Thinning their huge cast out is inevitable and will inevitably give spoilers to who is important and who isn't...

If it was Bronn , may mean GRRM has a role for him in the last two novels.

Bronn is about to vanish anyway... for a long time... in the books he just seems to go away and live somewhere else.

At least his story in A Feast for Crows is another zero sum tale, even when George tells good stories.

Why can't a character just go-away?

And not be killed?

I mean the character of Jon Umber seems to have vanished from the visual narrative.

I guess gone for good.

D and D still have a goofy problem with Gregor Clegane , the only casting mistake I have seen on the show.

And it's starting to look as if Conan Stevens is not invited back, but lord I can't tell if they have really given the role to Ian Whyte for season 3, because there is a cast list with him in a TBD role.

If D and D have dispensed with Stevens, they should hire a better and more appropriate actor.

D and D still have a goofy problem with Gregor Clegane , the only casting mistake I have seen on the show.

And it's starting to look as if Conan Stevens is not invited back, but lord I can't tell if they have really given the role to Ian Whyte for season 3, because there is a cast list with him in a TBD role.

If D and D have dispensed with Stevens, they should hire a better and more appropriate actor.

I think Whyte has already played a White Walker a couple of times, it's likely he'll be doing that again next season. I can't think of any way Gregor would be involved in this season, he's offscreen until his return for the fight with Oberyn, so we don't have to worry about the casting for another year.

Just thought of something. Isn't there some speculation about the actress playing Talisa/Jeyne Westerling being present for the filming of the Red Wedding? Perhaps they wanted to kill her character off since in the books she's last seen* riding off with her parents with a stern lecture from Jaime to be sure she doesn't have a kid anytime soon that could potentially be used by Northerners as Robb's heir.

What if they had initially decided to have her killed at the Red Wedding, but Martin informed them that her role (Robb's widow) would be important again later on* (and unlike other characters, you really can't just replace her - it's not like Robb would be able to marry again).

* - this obviously would fit in well with the conspiracy theories about her really escaping with the Blackfish..

Looking at season two's cast and taking into account the people we know die or appear to die in the books, I'd guess the Hound.

NO WAY. They can't be that dumb to kill off the Hound when one of the greatest scenes in the books was yet to come!

I'm going to have to go with Lancel as well.

Lancel's a good bet, but I think Xaro Xhoan Daxos could be it. Nothing would have shown Dany's rise in power as much as killing him off in the S2 finale.

Except it was about a character that they decided not to kill at GRRM's advice. They killed Xaro.

Definitely leaning towards Theon. His shennanigans acts in Season 2 will have the TV fans raging. Killing him off neatly at winterfell via Ramsay or something equally appealing would save alot of trouble down the road keeping his character in.

He's not due to be seen til Season 6(?) onwards, and thats a good few years for the person who played Theon to grow up, it's unlikely he'll look exactly the same in 5 years from now. Also, if they kept him on without mentions, people would wonder what happened.

-, after book 2, or season 2 or whatever, most of us would loved to have seen Theon dead. Would have been very appeasing.

Asha, Euron, Victarion AND Damphair are all POV characters, i think they would've wanted to trim the Greyjoys one, they have more POVs than Starks.

LASTLY, when you mention 'something important' in TWoW, instinct tells me Theon with his redemption arc

Unlikely. With the whole "Theon" storyline in S3, I highly doubt they considered killing him, only to change their minds and add a tonne of scenes with him in the next series.

I'm thinking that it is Gentry. What if Gentry is actually Robert and Cersei's son. Cersei claimed to have once been pregnant by Robert and had a miscarriage but what if she lied and actually gave birth to Gentry?

She could have easily paid the right people to keep it quiet or just had them all killed.

Edit: Uuups, forgot thr quote...

"Hot Pie is actually kind of random, he doesn't do shit in ASOS so why keep him? but I have a hard time seeing him playing a crucial role later on... What is he supposed to do? Save Jaime?"

Maybe baking the ultimate Frey-Pie...

He could call it LamFrey pie perhaps.

The one that makes the most sense to me is GreatJon Umber, as mentioned before with the schedule clash, it would have made more sense to have Robb be informed by one his men that he was killed in one of the battles.

Lancel is not a bad shout either.

I have a feeling it might have been Davos. The writers would have been writing season 2 at around the time, or probably just before ADWD came out, and as far as we knew, Davos had been executed by Manderly. Now Davos does have a role to play in ASOS, but still, it's not completely essential to the plot. They could have killed him off in the Battle of the Blackwater, and have Stannis read the ravens from Castle Black and decide by himself to march to the Wall. Hence, you could argue that he wasn't THAT important. However, the mission he gets given by Manderly to find Rickon at the end of ADWD does make him much more important in the long run.

I've pondered this and I think it's Bronn.

He doesn't really do anything in the third and fourth book on screen, although he is of course a talked about thorn in Cersei's side in book 4.

On tv though, they haven't introduced Lolly and I doubt they are going to introduce the Stokeworth's so I think they might have thought that they could kill him off now and then not worry about incorporating him in book 4. Also, it would make Tyrion a lot more vulnerable without his bodyguard.

I have a feeling it might have been Davos. The writers would have been writing season 2 at around the time, or probably just before ADWD came out, and as far as we knew, Davos had been executed by Manderly. Now Davos does have a role to play in ASOS, but still, it's not completely essential to the plot. They could have killed him off in the Battle of the Blackwater, and have Stannis read the ravens from Castle Black and decide by himself to march to the Wall. Hence, you could argue that he wasn't THAT important. However, the mission he gets given by Manderly to find Rickon at the end of ADWD does make him much more important in the long run.

Knowing HBO they'd probably keep Davos just to have Manderly execute him later. Manderly is probably going to be cast as he's at winterfell so why not let him kill Davos as in the book (obviously that's not what happened, but you get the point)

Archived