Do you want Aegon to be a fake?

GarthKITN

I'm not ashamed of the fact that I want (f)Aegon to be a fake because he popped out of nowhere. It'd be bad story-telling, imho, if the true heir to the Iron Throne has been absent for the vast majority of the series. Martin has so obviously been setting Dany up to conquer the throne, and yes the introduction of Aegon makes things exciting because Aegon is actually doing while Dany is sitting in Meereen, but I think for the benefit of telling a good story he has to be fake. He is that prophecized mummer's dragon and lie that Dany must slay. The set up has been there for a while.

Don't get me wrong, I think Aegon would be a better king than Dany would a queen, and I would love to see him sitting on the Iron Throne when all is said and done. But Dany will very obviously be sitting that throne at the end. If Aegon were real and became king, we've sure wasted a hell of a lot of time in the East for no reason and that would just be so infuriating.

I'm not ashamed of the fact that I want (f)Aegon to be a fake because he popped out of nowhere. It'd be bad story-telling, imho, if the true heir to the Iron Throne has been absent for the vast majority of the series. Martin has so obviously been setting Dany up to conquer the throne, and yes the introduction of Aegon makes things exciting because Aegon is actually doing while Dany is sitting in Meereen, but I think for the benefit of telling a good story he has to be fake. He is that prophecized mummer's dragon and lie that Dany must slay. The set up has been there for a while.

Don't get me wrong, I think Aegon would be a better king than Dany would a queen, and I would love to see him sitting on the Iron Throne when all is said and done. But Dany will very obviously be sitting that throne at the end. If Aegon were real and became king, we've sure wasted a hell of a lot of time in the East for no reason and that would just be so infuriating.

Holy crap, hai Lord Godric! :P

Of course Aegon isnt real. GRRM isnt one to pull things like that out of his hindquarters.

However, i do think Aegon will be on the Iron Throne...briefly. Like, when Dany finally gets her ass in gear and heads to Westeros, Aegon's all chillin' on the throne, and then the big Dance Of the Dragons 2.0 happens.

No.

And as for those saying Aegon "popped out of nowhere!" did we read the same books? The first 3 books (not counting AFFC because it occurs simultaneously with ADWD) are full of foreshadowing for Aegon's appearence. It's mentioned very frequently that Aegon's supposed corpse was unrecognizable, with his head smashed in. all the backstory we get with Rhaegar and his children etc. Even Dany's visions in the HotU (Pro Aegon being real, Rhaegar's speach about "his is the song of ice and fire..." pro Aegon being false the talk of the mummer's dragon.) Does this mean that Aegon is real? of course not, he still could very well be a phony, but critcising him for supposedly coming out of nowhere and being "too late in the game" while Euron for example (who is introduced at Chronologically the same time) gets no such criticisms is ridiculous. It is clear to me, especially on subsequent re-reads of the series, that GRRM intended Aegon to appear all along. I for one hope he is the genuine article, but the evidence as of now is inconclusive. I eagerly anticipate TWoW and seeing the realm's reaction to him.

Holy crap, hai Lord Godric! :P

Of course Aegon isnt real. GRRM isnt one to pull things like that out of his hindquarters.

However, i do think Aegon will be on the Iron Throne...briefly. Like, when Dany finally gets her ass in gear and heads to Westeros, Aegon's all chillin' on the throne, and then the big Dance Of the Dragons 2.0 happens.

Yeah, I agree. I do think that Aegon will probably sack King's Landing, and it'll be interesting to see how the people respond when Dany comes over as well. It'll also be interesting to see Dany initial response to (f)Aegon.

Yeah, I agree. I do think that Aegon will probably sack King's Landing, and it'll be interesting to see how the people respond when Dany comes over as well. It'll also be interesting to see Dany initial response to (f)Aegon.

For all her worship of Rhaegar you'd think she'd beg to bend the knee to his son Aegon, it'll be interesting.

i personally don't mind despite the fact i'm in the group that think he is real. For me wither way it just adds to the story for me atleast. I don't get why readers bitch how he was introduced as if they would have preferred boring povs with how his studies and training went since that what he was doing b4 he was introduced.

i personally don't mind despite the fact i'm in the group that think he is real. For me wither way it just adds to the story for me atleast. I don't get why readers bitch how he was introduced as if they would have preferred boring povs with how his studies and training went since that what he was doing b4 he was introduced.

Well quite frankly if we could just skip the boring PoVs of the monarch who will sit the throne at the end of the series, I certainly would not have minded if we never saw Dany until she actually came to Westeros. Unfortunately, that's not how storytelling works.

• 2 weeks later...

He says "you're a dwarf" scornfully to someone who has volunteered to protect him. That's mockery.

After rereading ADWD, you're taking this out of context, and not accounting for the situation they're in at all. They're near the bridge where the threat of the Stone Men dropping in on them coming up. Jon Connington sends him back to the cabin and he questions why Tyrion is allowed to stay on the bridge. Tyrion brushes him off and he responds by pointing out that Tyrion is a dwarf, and just naturally, not as physically capable as him. That's not being prejudiced. That's just a fact. Sure, Aegon should have realized Connington's motivation for sending him down to safety, but it's not like he just being a dick. And by that point, Tyrion hadn't volunteered to protect him. Tyrion has puzzled out who Aegon is, but Aegon doesn't know that. He just thinks Tyrion is along for the ride to Dany.

Saying "but you're a dwarf" when the ship is about to come under attack and he's being sent below is hardly being prejudiced.

I'd like him to be real but I can't convince myself he is. Maybe if Varys hadn't been SO involved in Aegon getting to Jon or if he had been delivered to Jon as a baby I might feel differently. That said I'd like him to be a real enough Targ that he takes one for the team and marries Dany, entirely because I don't want Jon to have to out of some weird need to heal the realm.

After rereading ADWD, you're taking this out of context, and not accounting for the situation they're in at all. They're near the bridge where the threat of the Stone Men dropping in on them coming up. Jon Connington sends him back to the cabin and he questions why Tyrion is allowed to stay on the bridge. Tyrion brushes him off and he responds by pointing out that Tyrion is a dwarf, and just naturally, not as physically capable as him. That's not being prejudiced. That's just a fact. Sure, Aegon should have realized Connington's motivation for sending him down to safety, but it's not like he just being a dick. And by that point, Tyrion hadn't volunteered to protect him. Tyrion has puzzled out who Aegon is, but Aegon doesn't know that. He just thinks Tyrion is along for the ride to Dany.

Saying "but you're a dwarf" when the ship is about to come under attack and he's being sent below is hardly being prejudiced.

Wasn't Aegon the one who wanted Tyrion saved? He's not my favorite candidate for the throne, nor do I want him to be real, but he's doesn't seem as much of a jerk as people make him out to be. He does have a quick temper though.

Answer to question -- Yes, after four books worth of emotional investment in Dany, I would very much prefer that Mr. Pop-Up-Out-of-Nowhere-in-the-Fifth-Book-Plot-Complication-Man prove to be a complete and total fake. Guy can't even play a decent game of cyvasse.

I think I would prefer it if he was a Blackfyre just because I think that's a more interesting story and I think it ties in nicely with Illyrio's comment that some contracts a writ in ink, some in blood. And I like the parallels to the War of the Roses, particularly that of Perkin Warbeck like someone already mentioned, because I think Perkin spent some time growing up on a boat too. But I think the thing that really makes me want him to be a Blackfyre is that it really does raise some interesting questions about whether or not someone like Varys can make a king. I don't dislike the character at all. He seems a little immature, but so was Sansa for a while and I adore her now. I'll be curious to know how he'll be proven to be real or not, because Aegon believes he is Aegon Targaryen sixth of his name and I doubt Varys or Illyrio is going to jump in and offer evidence. I think it will be more telling to see which of the major houses flock to him because they're turning on the Lannisters or which houses will refute his claim or what the common people will think of him or what Dany will do when the knowledge reaches her. But I'm not going to complain whether or not he turns out to be authentic or not because GRRM will write it well either way.

Real or fake, he WAS planned and their WAS foreshadowing...

If he's fake, I hope he is a Blackfyre and I hope he and JC don't know it...

He most likely doesn't know he's not actually Aegon Targaryen but rather Aegon "Some Surname". It seems he was told all his life that he is the lost heir.

Archived