Comics VI: Sinister Six

Sci-2

To be fair I didn't see that one coming. It seems more of a "fuck you" to Macfarlane and Image to be honest but surely it means they also have mavel/miracleman if they have a character that was actually in Todd's comics? Could they have medieval spawn in it too? I doubt they'd mention spawn as they don't want to advertise the competition for free.

Stole the words right out of my mouth, no way this is anything more than a 'fuck you' to McFarlane on Gaiman's part. I happen to like Gaiman more than McFarlane both creatively and persona-wise, but all this shit surrounding the rights to what are some pretty forgettable characters, makes them both look rather petty in my eyes.

I think it would be easy to retrofit her into it but doing so in AOU seems odd. You'd think a Dr strange book would be a better place? Maybe she's an Angel whose job is to stop marvel characters fucking with the fabric of reality? That would allow her to fit into the more sci-fi comics she is appearing in (she'll be in GOTG too). It could work if her job is to hunt down time-travellers who mess things up. Watch out Beast!

I was wondering how they'd make her fit into the Guardians of the Galaxy/cosmic stuff and this seems like as good of an explanation as any. I'm curious why Marvel even has interest in the character however --other than for obvious corporate hoarding purposes-- as traditionally they've shied away from themes of an ultimate 'heavenly' God in their comics... the closest I think we come is Hellstorm being the son of Satan.

Read BKV's Private eye. I liked it a lot. It reminded me of the martian culture in "Quantumn thief" by the guy with the hard to spell name. I may pay a little more for the next issue.

I tried tackling that book but gave up after the first chapter or so. Knowing this makes me want to give it another shot.

ETA: With Marvel buying the rights to all these characters lately, why don't they just go and pay off the creators of the Malibu properties to give up their royalty rights? I have no particular fondness for any of those characters, but I hate the idea of someones brainchild(ren) being in creative/legal limbo just because their rights holder --Marvel-- is being greedy.

Seeing this preview and realizing that, at this point, we've already seen six or seven pages of Uncanny Avengers #5 somehow makes me laugh at Marvel's marketing strategies. But please tell me that's not Grim Reaper on the second page... :ack:

6 or 7 pages was the rule until a couple of years ago.

And yes, that's Grim Reaper.

I tried tackling that book but gave up after the first chapter or so. Knowing this makes me want to give it another shot.

It's a LOT weirder than Private eye but the martians take privacy very seriously and store a lot of their memory on the cloud so that unless you give people permission no-one even remembers an encounter with you (or at least your face). So they very much have a web but it's a privacy mad web. The first few chapters throw you in at the deep end but once it gets to mars it settles down into hard sci-fi noir. Worth another shot if you can face it. Reminds me i need to read the second book once it's a little cheaper.

the first page of the uncanny avengers preview reminded me more of acuna than coipel. then again coipel reminds me more of the kuberts now than the kuberts do.

6 or 7 pages was the rule until a couple of years ago.

Yes, but it just seems like a bad strategy to show the art of a third of a issue in advance. That was basically why so many people were frustrated, recently, with Uncanny Avengers #1 and Age of Ultron #1, since that made it look like they paid $3,99 for a story they knew before they had a copy in their hands.

Yes, but it just seems like a bad strategy to show the art of a third of a issue in advance. That was basically why so many people were frustrated, recently, with Uncanny Avengers #1 and Age of Ultron #1, since that made it look like they paid $3,99 for a story they knew before they had a copy in their hands.

I guess you could look at it as paying for the preview but I agree that some marvel comics (and DC too) have so much promo material you can essentially get the issue for free if you look around. Take All New X-men #1, there must have been 70% of that 32 page book released via preview, including the meat of the plot. Combine that with all the interviews and news media leaks and it's possible to keep up to date with the marvel universe without having to buy any comics.

It makes me laugh how the "Angela" thing was supposed to be such a big secret that they were going to threaten "bleedingCool" with legal action if they spoiled it only to release the secret months before the actual comic cones out. They really need to get to grips with the art of letting a surprise unfold in the comic. It shouldn't be that hard, if cinema can do it, it's far easier for comics. If Marvel had produced "the usual suspects", "citizen Kane", "Memento" and "Sixth Sense" we'd have all known the endings before the film was released.

Man I think I'm the only person on this board that's read Fractal Prince. Finished it super fast, great book.

If i was still commuting to work and reading as quickly as I was, I'd have gotten around to it. As it is, I'm on a "won't buy any more books until i finish my stock pile (unless it's a great offer). I definitely want to read it though and pleased to hear it's good.

It makes me laugh how the "Angela" thing was supposed to be such a big secret that they were going to threaten "bleedingCool" with legal action if they spoiled it only to release the secret months before the actual comic cones out.

They probably figured if BC knew, it would get out anyway so they made an announcement. And I think the surprise was less Angela in particular as it is Neil Gaiman writing for Marvel again.

They probably figured if BC knew, it would get out anyway so they made an announcement. And I think the surprise was less Angela in particular as it is Neil Gaiman writing for Marvel again.

It could be a factor but look at their track record for spoiling things over the last few years. Even without leaks they always announce in a newspaper 3 days before the comic comes out what the big death or whatever is. Plus BC pointed out that it wasn't exactly hard for him to figure out.

I think Marvel ultimately just sees this as publicity knowing the majority of comic readers will still buy the comic anyway and that muggles who become interested by the news pick one up (and then probably wonder what the fuss was when they knew what happened beforehand).

It could be a factor but look at their track record for spoiling things over the last few years. Even without leaks they always announce in a newspaper 3 days before the comic comes out what the big death or whatever is. Plus BC pointed out that it wasn't exactly hard for him to figure out.

They leaked it cause they saw that no one gives two fucks about Age of Ultron. They had to stir shit up.

Speaking of leaks in the latest "Fog Selling Edition By Those Two People From 90's Marvel No One Ever Wanted To See Again, But Are Now Running DC Cause God Hates You Personally" column called B&B...

Harras: I would say we're always very careful here when we want to keep things a surprise, when we want to keep things under wraps not to spoil it. This thing that happened was something that was surprising to all of us, but we handled and dealt with, and I think the game plan here is to keep the story surprises coming no matter what.

Oh, man, and this column was actually running smoothly in the sense they didn't even rile me up with their barrage of empty words. I must be building a resistence. But this? That's a fucking lie. They handled & dealt shit. The guy that leaked Snyder's Batman leaked the first issue of Constantine this week. Yeah, Bob you sure put a stop to his nefarious dealings. The fuck, did you lock him up in Arkham? Not that I really care, the day when I was willing to pay for Snyder's excrement are long gone. Nothing happened in that issue anyway, so nothing was spoiled.

Just admit you can't really stop someone from scanning a book. Don't tell me you dealt with it, when there's truly no way for you to find out which of the retailers dit it.

They leaked it cause they saw that no one gives two fucks about Age of Ultron. They had to stir shit up.

Speaking of leaks in the latest "Fog Selling Edition By Those Two People From 90's Marvel No One Ever Wanted To See Again, But Are Now Running DC Cause God Hates You Personally" column called B&B...

Oh, man, and this column was actually running smoothly in the sense they didn't even rile me up with their barrage of empty words. I must be building a resistence. But this? That's a fucking lie. They handled & dealt shit. The guy that leaked Snyder's Batman leaked the first issue of Constantine this week. Yeah, Bob you sure put a stop to his nefarious dealings. The fuck, did you lock him up in Arkham? Not that I really care, the day when I was willing to pay for Snyder's excrement are long gone. Nothing happened in that issue anyway, so nothing was spoiled.

Just admit you can't really stop someone from scanning a book. Don't tell me you dealt with it, when there's truly no way for you to find out which of the retailers dit it.

I noticed even newsarama gave AOU #2 a shit score - it must be bad.

That quote about DC works in terms of firing staff. Storywise, the writers don't even know what story the editors want.

That quote about DC works in terms of firing staff.

They can't be that stupid. The book was scanned, so it's Diamond's fault they deliver books on Mondays which gives ample time for leaks. Nobody at DC can prevent it, unless they setup their own distribution system and deliver stuff on Tuesday night or something.

Is Age of Ultron doing that badly in sales? I can't imagine that just yet, though maybe there have been poor reviews so they are worried the sales for the second half will falter.

I don't think Angela showing up is the actual secret ending. That's Hank Pym's death or something.

They can't be that stupid. The book was scanned, so it's Diamond's fault they deliver books on Mondays which gives ample time for leaks. Nobody at DC can prevent it, unless they setup their own distribution system and deliver stuff on Tuesday night or something.

I think we've crossed wires, I meant they change stories that often that even the writers are surprised. I didn't mean to sound as if I thought the writers were leaking things. That's clearly an issue at Diamond and needs to be stamped out. If only because the scan quality is awful.

No idea on AOU sales. I think people in general are skeptical of it as they know it's a year old and the fact it is outside of continuity (regardless of what they claim) will put off those who buy events because they "count". I think sales for the final issue will be very strong based on the hype around the unguesaable ending and because this is where there'll be an effect on current continuity. It probably doesn't help that everyone knows there's another, cosmic, event occurring immediately afterwards. It'll be good to see the sales charts at the end of the month though.

I think we've crossed wires, I meant they change stories that often that even the writers are surprised. I didn't mean to sound as if I thought the writers were leaking things.

No, no, no. You are wrong, and I'm right.

:D

That's clearly an issue at Diamond and needs to be stamped out. If only because the scan quality is awful.

Funnily enough, that's like the only comicbook that gets scanned these days. It's a dying art! Everything else is ripped from Comixology.

This is DC under Bob Harras, they are that stupid.

Touché, sir.

Truth be told, I've had my theories about some of the editors' mental capacities for years.

No, no, no. You are wrong, and I'm right.

:D

I feel as though I'm having an argument with Captain America...

Funnily enough, that's like the only comicbook that gets scanned these days. It's a dying art! Everything else is ripped from Comixology.

You mean the scanners don't even scan anymore. There goes any respect I had for them. Thinking about it some of them should have been given jobs at comixology as some of the old scanners had an easier interface than those pop-up efforts Marvel were doing 10 years ago.

Speaking of stupid editors. Two days after Tony Daniel became the writer/atrist, it turns out he too is leaving but to do something biggerer and betterer (guess he must be doing trinity way unless he's jumping on the Green Lantern Merry-go-round, Daniel sounded a little miffed at Diggle though.

Archived