Comics VI: Sinister Six

Sci-2

On the one hand I'm pleased I gave up early on the Bendis x-books but on the other I'm higghly entertained by the discussion of it.

Seems like a cruel cock-tease with action comics.

Serious tone... that book has a mutant with the power of bouncing dodgeballs. He'd fit. It's just that Jason Aaron is acting all territorial and won't give up any of the kid characters even if most of them are just wallpaper in WatXM.

He keeps Husk just to shit on her.

Oops, you're right, somehow I completely forgot about their new mutants, probably because I don't give a f---. Anyway, I'd still rather have Aaron writing Quire than Bendis. And while he could have gone with Cyclops just to anger Wolverine, it seems to have been established in WATXM that deep down he's just a big softie with his big heart wanting to save his colleagues from... whatever it is.

Oops, you're right, somehow I completely forgot about their new mutants, probably because I don't give a f---. Anyway, I'd still rather have Aaron writing Quire than Bendis. And while he could have gone with Cyclops just to anger Wolverine, it seems to have been established in WATXM that deep down he's just a big softie with his big heart wanting to save his colleagues from... whatever it is.

Isn't this what Aaron's doing with Thanos too? He likes showing that villains have hearts of gold underneath the genocide and terrorism.

What exactly is YoungScott's talking about when he declines RightScott's offer? Do they even have an inkling of what they should be doing besides fucking with timelines? Everybody is morally outraged at Scott, but Jean's mindwiping Warren is no biggie. She just gets a pep talk from Kitty. Beast needs to be made into a carpet. Mystique is robbing banks?

You know, I gotta say this book has grown on me. I think the direction of all this will depend on Bendis's ability to legitimize Cyclop's position. Of course, there's the constraint that AvX, which wasn't just shit but someone gorging on Vegemite then overdosing on laxative, made the Avengers the popes of the MU.

You gotta be shitting me.

So... so the Uncanny issue is going to the same as the All-New X-Men just from a different perspective? Holy shit. Bendis is teaching us a lesson here. A master-class in decompression. "Oh, you thought I was slow before? Watch this!"

If this thing ends on the same cliffhanger, I'll buy that bald bastard a beer if he is ever in my neck of the woods.

Annuals.

1. And 11-issue origin story has just got a tie-in.

2. Proof of Superman editorial being a bunch of idiots. Not even a year after Morrison's Brainiac story, Lobdell is doing a story with him and he looks NOTHING like the Morrison version. Itseems like the Big 2 always retcon Morrison's stuff, but at this point it seems like they aren't even doing it intentionally. It's in their booooones or something. they aren't even aware of it.

Time for sorrow.

Solicits.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #22 - "And what does the Secret Society of Super-Villains have to with this? Everything."

Have. To. Do. With. We are off to a great start.

KATANA #6 - "Katana is reunited with her infamous sword, Soultaker—and she’s ready to send retake all the spirits that escaped her blade!"

The old changing my mind in the middle of the sentence, but never bothering to correct it. I should probably learn to live with these had sandwiches for dinner.

SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #2 - "The technological terrorists called Ascension are growing bolder with every attack, creating problems only can solve"

Goddammit DC stop dropping words. Did you fucking hit your head or something?

"and that’s with help from the world’s greatest detective, Batman!"

"world’s greatest detective, Batman!"

"Batman!"

Ah, there's the DC I know... and love. One issue in and Snyder's husbando shows up.

Meet me at camera 3, Scott: Listen, Superman is not Vibe or Phantom Stranger. He can hold a book on his own. Sure he ain't as big as he once was, but none of them are. Either way, he does not need the help of fuckin' Batman to sell his book drawn by Jim motherfuckin' Lee in the month that his movie is premiering.

SUPERMAN UNCHAINED DIRECTOR’S CUT #1 - Ha ha ha. Boy, you really think this thing is going to be some kind of cultural touchstone. Like we really need to see how flat Jim Lee's art is without Alex Sinclair actually separating Superman from the background noise so we don't feel like we are playing a greyscale Where's Waldo? Do we really need more words from Snyder when the panels are already going to be cluttered with direct quotes from his interviews and panel appearances?

Guess, we do.

ACTION COMICS #22 - Written by SCOTT LOBDELL

SUPERMAN ANNUAL #2 - Written by SCOTT LOBDELL

SUPERMAN #22 - Written by SCOTT LOBDELL

What the fuck are you doing DC? I don't mind Lobdell, but why the fuck is he writing every Superman book you have?

For fucks sake I shouldn't even be saying this, but you don't give Waid ONE book, and Lobdell gets THREE? Fuckin' Harras.

BATMAN/SUPERMAN #2 - I don't have much snark for this one. But looking at this cover I think I found the perfect artist for Grant Morrison's Action Comics run.

Oh, wait. It's too late for that one. But, Lee would've been perfect. It actually looks like something out of the Golden Age if anybody in the Golden Age had talent. Like Fletcher Hanks if he wasn't a drunk lunatic.

BATMAN ANNUAL #2 - It's a tie-in to a 11-part SELF-CONTAINED storyline. Frank Miller crammed everything in 4 issues. But Zero Year is too big, baby. Just the way you like it.

BATMAN YEAR ZERO: THE DIRECTOR’S CUT #1 - Would you just fuckin' stop it, DC?

You wouldn't do this if Alan Moore came back to work for you. You can't force something into being a classic by just saying it over and over again.

And I finally realized why that title is bugging me. It's not the whole "Just like Year One, but not". It's the whole first "zero" than "year". The opposite of rolling of the tongue. Nobody says it like that. Nobody says it to the point that even the solicitations title has it written the other way. But, as far as mistakes in the text go, it's just one of many.

It's such a awkward phrasing, which in a bizarre way makes it perfect for the current DC. Awkward.

BATMAN, INCORPORATED #13 - That cover is like Batman's Inception.

DETECTIVE COMICS ANNUAL #2 - "It’s a terrible, dangerous time to be a cop in Gotham City."

Yeah cause usually it's like a picnic. Also:

"Will he unravel the mystery behind this secretive killer before he loses any more of the few allies he has left on the force?"

Who, you illiterate fucks? You didn't name anybody in the solicitation text!

CATWOMAN #22 - "What lies beneath the streets of Gotham City?" Well, under the sewers is the huge maze the city's Owl aristocracy built without anyone ever knowing. What more do you want?

ALL-STAR WESTERN #22 - "After being locked in Arkham Asylum, Jonah Hex goes on the run with a partner, who’s family he’s all too familiar with from his days with Amadeus Arkham."

They are fucking trolling me.

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #22 - "In this stunning conclusion of the Fatal Five epic, you won’t believe what the new face of tomorrow looks like!"

The irony of talking about tomorrow when you had to get a writer from the 80's to get the Legion fans to shut the fuck up.

SWAMP THING #22 - Man, that Del Toro movie better happen otherwise they've been shoving Constantine down out throats for nothing.

Also, there's no way this guy will be on the book by July. He sounds fun.

COLLIDER #1 - Fuckin' finally.

Have you guys read the Guardians of the Galaxy Infinite Comics? Not much if you only consider the stories, but they managed a better grip on the art that makes the panels flow better in that format. Beautiful, but I really wish they would start writing better stories for those.

Have you guys read the Guardians of the Galaxy Infinite Comics? Not much if you only consider the stories, but they managed a better grip on the art that makes the panels flow better in that format. Beautiful, but I really wish they would start writing better stories for those.

I read two of 'em. I did like the panel usage. The stories were fun mini-intros to the characters, which worked for me since I don't know much about the GoGs.

And I finally realized why that title is bugging me. It's not the whole "Just like Year One, but not". It's the whole first "zero" than "year". The opposite of rolling of the tongue. Nobody says it like that. Nobody says it to the point that even the solicitations title has it written the other way. But, as far as mistakes in the text go, it's just one of many.

It's such a awkward phrasing, which in a bizarre way makes it perfect for the current DC. Awkward.

Yeah, Zero Year sounds stupid to me too.

Whoever did the DC solicits may be a fan of Starz' "spartacus". I also thought "director's cut" meant extra/alternate scenes and possibly a reordering of scenes. The comic versions are more like DVD extras usually.

Maybe DC are fans of Trent Reznor and that's why they went with "Year Zero"?

Whoever did the DC solicits may be a fan of Starz' "spartacus".

Friend keeps telling me to watch that (and Castle). Do they drop random/key words all the time?

I also thought "director's cut" meant extra/alternate scenes and possibly a reordering of scenes.

Yeah, in movies. In comics there is no director just the need to belong to something better and we get pencils version of the art with the script in the back.

It would be funny if the script confirmed that Snyder is sexist like All-Star Batman Director's Cut confirmed for Miller. Truth be told we already knew about Miller. I'm afarid we'll just find out that Snyder is bland.

Maybe DC are fans of Trent Reznor and that's why they went with "Year Zero"?

Eh, I think Snyder doesn't even listen to music. His influences begin and end with Stephen King and Batman.

Wait, are we complaining about "Year Zero" or "Zero Year"? I actually dislike the second one. Just sounds corny.

Zero Year is the title of the story. But the solicitation for the Director's Cut mistakenly names it Year Zero (I guess cause it makes sense).

Year Zero was also Morrison's pitch for a Batman movie, right? Well, Snyder does love doing everything Morrison done before him.

I'm really confused with year zero/zero year - especially if they can't get it right themselves.

Spartacus is great fun (first episode is terrible though) It finishes next week so there'll probably be complete box sets kicking around. It has a silly way of speaking that most eventually learn to live with. They say things "Take foot from mouth" rather than "take your foot out of your mouth". They also like to say "absent" a lot eg "war absent cause is like like man absent cock". They do like to swear a lot.

The show is very much like a comic book and is "300 the TV series" although the plot is a lot better.

Went to Planet Comicon this weekend. My sons first Con. He's 9, has Asperger's and LOVES Deadpool. Gerry Duggan and Cullen Bunn happened to be sitting next to each other. They were both very kind to him as he told them about his own "creator owned" comic. Duggan gave him a copy of Infinite Horizon. Jason Aaron was also super cool to him, and Hopeless gave him all of the Legion of Monsters series. Skottie Young was so nice and drew him a baby Age of Ultron on his blank variant and autographed about 10 comics for him. He got to ask a question to the panel in the main hall, and one in a smaller room. The second day, before leaving for the Con, he asked me to make a few copies of "samples" for him. They were a description of his comic Gun, a small drawing, and an "About the Author" that included "Has a good crush on a girl named Meka. Has Assburgers. Has a dog named Meatball." And my phone number, because of course, he couldn't remember his own. I didn't see this until it was too late, and he had given one to Bunn, Aaron, Young, Snyder, Hopeless and one more I can't remember. We were looking for Duggan when I realized my number was on it. I think the best part for him was talking about Killustrated with Bunn and the reader letters and responses with Duggan, and the current issue of Deadpool with Tony Stark. My son thought it was hilarious. Parent of the year over here.

Oh. And he discovered a new comic. It's called Mermaid Evolution. He walked by the guys table like 4 times and it kept catching his eye. I bought it for him He freaking loves it.

Isn't this what Aaron's doing with Thanos too? He likes showing that villains have hearts of gold underneath the genocide and terrorism.

To be fair, it's not *exactly' unprecedented with Thanos. (I mean, he's doing it all for love...)

Archived