Comics VI: Sinister Six

Sci-2

working through bendis' DD run, brubaker's cap run and fraction's iron man run. most of this occurred during my sabbatical from comics and i want to see what all the fuss is about. which of these runs, providing you've read them, did you like the best and why? so far, bendis hasn't grabbed me, brubaker is building slowly to something but i've never been much of a cap fan so he has a tough road to hoe. i am lking fractions iron man though. i'm about 2/3 through both lucifer and garth's the boys and enjoying them immensely. thats really all i have time for considering all my other hobbies. nextwave, phonogram and casanova were a lot of fun too :)

off to do some more running around in arkham city...toodles!!!

But, I guess this is the most important solicit:

WOLVERINE: IN THE FLESH #1

CHRIS COSENTINO (W)

DALIBOR TALAJIC (A)

Cover by TIM SEELEY

• Reality star Chris Cosentino tells a tale about Wolverine and food like only a Top Chef Master can!

• Adamantium claws meet steel kitchen knives in a culinary caper staring your favorite

costumed Canadian!

I... I guess... I got nothing.

How did this come about? Did he pitch it? Did they approach him? It's killing me.

At this point I could pitch a Wolverine story to Marvel and get an ongoing.

I hadn't noticed that, just saw another Wolverine book and didn't paid attention to the actual solicit. Holy crap! That's ridiculous even for Marvel and even for Wolverine!

working through bendis' DD run, brubaker's cap run and fraction's iron man run. most of this occurred during my sabbatical from comics and i want to see what all the fuss is about. which of these runs, providing you've read them, did you like the best and why? so far, bendis hasn't grabbed me, brubaker is building slowly to something but i've never been much of a cap fan so he has a tough road to hoe. i am lking fractions iron man though. i'm about 2/3 through both lucifer and garth's the boys and enjoying them immensely. thats really all i have time for considering all my other hobbies. nextwave, phonogram and casanova were a lot of fun too :)

Fraction's Iron Man doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as those two; it's sloooooooooooooooow, and for the most part a repetition of previous Iron Man stories.

Bendis' Daredevil and Brubaker's Cap might each be the best runs their books ever had, and certainly among Marvel's best runs ever. Unlike his Avengers, Bendis knew when to quit while he was ahead, and Brubaker is the only writer that got me interested in following long-term a Cap. America book. Although the book lost steam when Steve Rogers returned, since, no matter what he and Marvel say, it's clear he had no intention of bringing him back so soon.

The main theory I'd heard he was calling the guy who shot him a cock sucker.

I missed this yesterday. That's pretty funny :) Read the issue last night and it was solid. Saga has the ability to often be about much at all but still highly entertaining - i guess it's what Bendis thinks his decompressed books are like.

Speaking of insubstantial decompression, i think that's going to become more of a problem with Marvel's shipping schedule. I guess you only have to wait 1 or 2 weeks for the next part though. Some graphic novels must be bimonthly these days - probably cheaper and almost the same schedule as old marvel used to be (with their big artists).

It does seem to feel as if MArvel knows about some impending apocalypse or mortgage repayment based on the way they burn through material these days. I guess it is to get market share and shelf space as well as the money.

I've only really read Bendis' daredevil run. Looking at the thread you'd know I'm not a fan of Bendis (NOW!) but i did enjoy Daredevil. Maybe i was a sucker for lots of talking and waiting 6 months for a story but the artwork and approach made it much more of a crime comic than a superhero comic.

Brubaker also had a good daredevil run from what i've heard so if you're a fan of that character this may be a better bet than sticking with the captain america run.

There's only one reason Captain America came back and ruined Brubaker's long term plans on the book - the movie came out. It's a shame really as I don't think there was a flood of movie fans reading a Steve Roger's "Captain America" comic. Especially one that was in the midst of a 3 year story arc.

There's only one reason Captain America came back and ruined Brubaker's long term plans on the book - the movie came out. It's a shame really as I don't think there was a flood of movie fans reading a Steve Roger's "Captain America" comic. Especially one that was in the midst of a 3 year story arc.

But...but...but...if Marvel copies everything in the movies, that means movie watchers will buy the books, no? No?

Also, the book was selling more with Bucky than with Steve Rogers, although that was in part because it kept many readers that bought the issue in which Rogers is shot.

Been a month Lil' Valkerie, you're going to have to remind us of your assertion. :-)

'Sex' might be interesting with a female protagonist/POV, but it's just boring rehash now. Oh, we found out that maybe this ex-villain was one because she had the hots for the hero and it was courtship. Now she's the madame of the brothel where he went. Wow, what an original idea. It was charming when it was Alan Scott and Molly Mayne, but not like this.

But do read the letters page to have a good laugh at how far up his own ass Joe Casey is.

Interesting.

I swear, I'll start reading X-Men Legacy just because of those covers.

I felt the same way, and I have to tell you, the few issues I read were actually pretty good, well-written, adequate art and all. The one problem that made me quit, of course, is Legion, but if you can stomach him, I'd recommend this series.

Legacy is worth reading IMO. Best use of Blindfold as a character that I've seen.

I hate this darker vs. lighter idea. But I could see a civil war break out over use of time travel. After all, once you start altering time why not keep doing it until you get the timeline you want?

This Newsarama idea is interesting, but I don't really buy the conclusion: this older vs newer heroes, even because if anything Bendis is reducing the chances of conflicts between the O5 and Cyclops' crew as the story goes.

If anything, a Civil War is more likely between people that want to keep altering the time-stream and people that want to leave it untouched.

I don't get the civil war repeat theory as that's what Avengers vs X-men was already a repeat on the theme. I don't really see how they could do it without it seeming like another redundant cash grab. At this stage I'd much rather have a big heroes vs villains event. Maybe mix up who fights who (a bit like Thor vs Apocalypse in UA this week). Come up with some reason to have the villains working together - maybe have them being forced into it by some uber (Thanos) villain?

It does seem like a time-travel event is on the cards but possibly more as a retcon/soft relaunch tool. Because Marvel NOW! is 6 months old now and some titles are almost in their 12s - time for some new number 1s

Come up with some reason to have the villains working together - maybe have them being forced into it by some uber (Thanos) villain?

Like Acts of Vengeance? I think it would be cool, but the problem is that two of the most iconic Marvel villains (Magneto and Doom) are barely villains anymore. The way things are going, Cyclops would join that side. But a civil war plot would be pointless, at least as far as the X-Men are concerned, since they've been in he middle of a "cold war" since Schism.

But I agree it will probably be some cosmic wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey... thing, since they want to bring the cosmic characters closer to the Earth ones, and we already have All-New X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, Fantastic Four, Age of Ultron, and now Indestructible Hulk (have I forgotten something?) dealing with time-travel.

I guess if Remender is playing with Kang in uncanny avengers he'll be part of the fun and games too. Hopefully Cable and Bishop will get in on the action. I kind of hope there will be a way to rescue Bishops's character although I did love the idea of Bishop and Cable fighting for the future and that Bishop has to endure the shit one so that Cable's is better. Then again Cable's future always seemed pretty shit to me.

Does Marvel have a time-cop? Or is it going to be Angela? DC has a couple and in many ways seems better suited to a time-travel epic. Well when they had more than 5 years of history that is.

Does Marvel have a time-cop? Or is it going to be Angela?

I'm not that familiar with the concept or its use on DC, but would Immortus fit that? Considering how it seems he'll be killed in whatever it is will happen in Uncanny Avengers, it makes sense to consider him a part of this.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #19 - Who is the one person dangerous enough to use Kryptonite against Superman?

Gee, let me answer that with a question. Who is the one person insecure enough to use Kryptonite against Superman?

Batman.

Gee...

Fuckin' called it.

I hope Aquaman thros him into a mountain. Prep for that, jackass.

So, after reading this, it seemed about time to read Avengers 12.1 and... wtf? There's no eight pages in that issue that seem to fit AoU, unless the story really gets as different as Bendis suggests it will.

Yeah, I don't even understand what they are saying. This whole AoU thing is insanely convoluted.

Guess that's what happens when you try and make a year old story seem current and bump it up into some mega-event with a tacked on line-changing ending. It seems to be one of the rare events that the usual comic reviewers are growing tired of too.

Guess that's what happens when you try and make a year old story seem current and bump it up into some mega-event with a tacked on line-changing ending. It seems to be one of the rare events that the usual comic reviewers are growing tired of too.

Actually, it's a two year old story, at least. Bendis has been trying to make this since after Siege, but Fear Itself and AvX bumped it to 2013.

And yeah, it's so bad even the reviewers aren't saying it's the best thing since bottled water.

Archived