Moments of Foreshadowing 4

Ice Turtle

In ADWD Chapter 28, Melisandre told Jon:

"I have seen your sister in my fires, fleeing from this marriage they have made for her. Coming here, to you. A girl in grey on a dying horse".

Jon thought the girl was Arya, and in the later chapters it turned out to be Alys Karstark. However,Alys appeared in a black cloak while in the fire was "a girl in grey". Usually in predicts the colors have their symbolism. Here, not only Alys clothing wasn't grey, but the color for House Karstarks wasn't grey. Grey is the color for House Stark of Winterfell. Don't forget that besides Arya, Jon has the other sister, who was in Vale and Littlefinger just arranged her marriage with Harry the Heir. In Littlefinger's plan, Sansa would "come out with her long auburn hair, clad in a maiden’s cloak of white and grey with a direwolf emblazoned on the back".

Are you saying it's foreshadowing or Sansa is the one in the vision. Would be cool if it was, but they might have given her a black cloak

If R+L=J, then:

Jon -“You’d think the royal sigil would be sufficient, but no. He makes his mother’s House equal in honor to the king’s.”

“The woman is important too!” Arya protested.

Also: The magister bowed slightly. “I take you for a king. Kings lack the caution of common men"

While everyone agrees the story of Bael the Bard is foreshadowing for R+L=J, it is also foreshadowing for Sansa and LF. You can find the name "Bael" in Baelish; Bael took a Stark girl from the Lord of WF and left a rose in her place while Baelish took a Stark girl, Sansa, from the Lannisters, and left a rose, Margaery Tyrell, in her place.

The story ends with Bael's natural son killing him, LF's demise will be at the hands of his "natural daughter", Alayne.

While everyone agrees the story of Bael the Bard is foreshadowing for R+L=J, it is also foreshadowing for Sansa and LF. You can find the name "Bael" in Baelish; Bael took a Stark girl and left a rose while Baelish took a Stark girl, Sansa, from the Lannisters, and left a rose, Margaery Tyrell, in her place.

The story ends with Bael's natural son killing him, LF's demise will be at the hands of his "natural daughter", Alayne.

i'm...wow... just... wow, speechless! :agree: :thumbsup:

While everyone agrees the story of Bael the Bard is foreshadowing for R+L=J, it is also foreshadowing for Sansa and LF. You can find the name "Bael" in Baelish; Bael took a Stark girl and left a rose while Baelish took a Stark girl, Sansa, from the Lannisters, and left a rose, Margaery Tyrell, in her place.

Me likey!

I'm stealing this from a post in the thread on who will take the Twins – the Greatjon, a giant of a man, is being held in chains at the Twins. The sigil of the Umbers is a giant wearing broken chains. I hope that means the Greatjon will emerge from his imprisonment well and as mad as hell.

Then there's Arya's prayer:

Each night before sleep, she murmured her prayer into her pillow. "Ser Gregor," it went. "Dunsen, Raff the Sweetling, Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei." She would have whispered the names of the Freys of the Crossing, too, if she had known them One day I'll know, she told herself, and then I'll kill them all. -- Arya, AFFC

Emphasis in the original. I think that this statement is more than mere foreshadowing. If there are any Freys alive to cross Arya's path when she returns to Westeros I think they are dead.

ETA:

HAMLET

Lady, shall I lie in your lap?

OPHELIA

No, my lord.

HAMLET

I mean, my head upon your lap?

OPHELIA

Ay, my lord.

HAMLET

Do you think I meant country matters?

OPHELIA

I think nothing, my lord.

HAMLET

That's a fair thought to lie between maids' legs.

OPHELIA

What is, my lord?

HAMLET

Nothing.

OPHELIA

You are merry, my lord.

(3.2.14)

This encounter between Haldon/Tyrion and Qavo foreshadows Tyrion servitude under the Yellow Whale of Yunkai

Haldon drew up a chair between them and said, ''My dwarf plays better cyvasse than both of you combined.''

The bigger man raised his eyes to gaze at the intruders in distaste and said something in the tongue of Old Volantis, too fast for Tyrion to hope to follow. The thinner one leaned back in his chair. ''Is he for sale?'' he asked in the Common Tongue of Westeros. ''The triarch’s grotesquerie is in need of a cyvasse-playing dwarf.''

Dany's description of Drogon: I am looking into hell

Victarion: "I could sail the Iron Fleet to hell if need be."

More evidence for Victarion being the kraken plucked from the Dothraki Sea on his quest to find Dany.

Good one, any guess about the outcome? So far it's Battle axe : Kingsgurd - 1:0 (Areo vs. Arys)

I am hoping against hope that Barristan lives long enough to learn about R+L=J, but he did think he wanted to die in battle fighting for his king, it's just that he never imagined that king would be Hizdahr whom Victarion wants to kill.

Dany's description of Drogon: I am looking into hell

Victarion: "I could sail the Iron Fleet to hell if need be."

More evidence for Victarion being the kraken plucked from the Dothraki Sea on his quest to find Dany.

I am hoping against hope that Barristan lives long enough to learn about R+L=J, but he did think he wanted to die in battle fighting for his king, it's just that he never imagined that king would be Hizdahr whom Victarion wants to kill.

It would be a tragic irony. Me and my Martin-developed literary masochism like that.

Sansa forshadows Jon Snow taking off Janos Slynt's head in A Game of Thrones (Pg. 746):

Frog faced Lord Slynt sat at the end of the council table wearing a black velvet doublet and a shiny cloth-of-gold cape, nodding with approval every time the king pronounced a sentence. Sansa stared hard at his ugly face, remembering how he had thrown down her father for Ser Ilyn to behead, wishing she could hurt him, wishing that some hero would throw him down and cut off his head.

Weird, wasn't Azor Ahai called/labeled as a hero as well?

In ADWD Chapter 28, Melisandre told Jon:

"I have seen your sister in my fires, fleeing from this marriage they have made for her. Coming here, to you. A girl in grey on a dying horse".

Jon thought the girl was Arya, and in the later chapters it turned out to be Alys Karstark. However,Alys appeared in a black cloak while in the fire was "a girl in grey". Usually in predicts the colors have their symbolism. Here, not only Alys clothing wasn't grey, but the color for House Karstarks wasn't grey. Grey is the color for House Stark of Winterfell. Don't forget that besides Arya, Jon has the other sister, who was in Vale and Littlefinger just arranged her marriage with Harry the Heir. In Littlefinger's plan, Sansa would "come out with her long auburn hair, clad in a maiden’s cloak of white and grey with a direwolf emblazoned on the back".

:bowdown: I haven no words. I can't believe that I didn't see these two things. :bowdown:

Sleep came hard, even when Daario came back, so drunk that he could hardly stand. Beneath her coverlets she tossed and turned, dreaming that Hizdahr was kissing her … but his lips were blue and bruised, and when he thrust himself inside her, his manhood was cold as ice.

This could foreshadow Dany's future relationship with Euron who has blue lips and is sometimes suspected to be undead.

Sleep came hard, even when Daario came back, so drunk that he could hardly stand. Beneath her coverlets she tossed and turned, dreaming that Hizdahr was kissing her … but his lips were blue and bruised, and when he thrust himself inside her, his manhood was cold as ice.

This could foreshadow Dany's future relationship with Euron who has blue lips and is sometimes suspected to be undead.

I agree, Vic makes some mention of how his manhood looks queer in his last chapter in feast

I know this one's been done to death, but I'm going throw in my interpretation:

Jon to Arya:

"The longer you hide, the sterner the penance. You’ll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers.”

I've seen a lot of people interpret 'body' as foreshadowing Arya's death, but I disagree. I think the use of 'body' means they might end up finding her body... but not her face (because she's wearing a different one but is hopefully still alive). 'Frozen fingers': I think the frozen here may indicate that Arya will be 'frozen' in time as a girl, like the waif we see in the house of black and white. The rest of it refers to Arya's revenge crusade in various ways.

Wonderful comparison between Bael story and Baelish!

Another twist on that bold line could be if little Robert ended up killing LF ( if he is indeed Petyr's natural son). I know he's little and sickly but he does have a temper like his mother.

I like it.

"When the man's flesh dies, his spirit lives on inside the beast, but every day his memory fades, and the beast becomes a little less a warg, a little more a wolf, until nothing of the man is left and only the beast remains."

"I fear no ghosts. Dragons are more powerful than ghosts."

Jon's spirit will be in Ghost while he's out, but his spirit/will is strong enough to keep him from dissipating into Ghost.

ETA:

Apple, I don't mean to argue but I think Tyrion's advise to Aegon was sincere since he couldn't go anywhere else as Aegon's crew wouldn't let him, and Aegon was his chance for getting CR and his revenge on Cersei. Besides, Dany doesn't need Tyrion if she wants bad advice.

:bowdown:

I'm speechless

Archived