Makeup Thread part 3

Angalin

It's either waxing at a salon or epilator at home for me. Waxing lasts longer but doing it at home is cumbersome and messy, I can't be bothered. I usually don't get ingrown hairs at all. I read somewhere that one should run the epilator along the hair, not against it, which can help prevent breaking of the hair (I don't do this). Also exfoliating the skin before shaving and applying a very gentle moisturizer afterwards should help.

It could also depend on the brand, I've been using the same Braun one for 8 years or so.

He may have to get used to a hairy beast :laugh:

I read "hairy breast" at first :rofl:

It's either waxing at a salon or epilator at home for me. Waxing lasts longer but doing it at home is cumbersome and messy, I can't be bothered. I usually don't get ingrown hairs at all. I read somewhere that one should run the epilator along the hair, not against it, which can help prevent breaking of the hair (I don't do this). Also exfoliating the skin before shaving and applying a very gentle moisturizer afterwards should help.

It could also depend on the brand, I've been using the same Braun one for 8 years or so.

I read "hairy breast" at first :rofl:

You are not the only one, I believe it was Lord o' Bones who thought I said I would have breasts on my face, when I was talking about my unruly 'beasts' of eyebrows :lol:

Hi Ladies!

I'm actually an aethetician and would love to help out anyone with questions they have.

Awesome, Dracarys! Glad it's working for you :D

Once a-bloody-gain I have a question regarding body hair. I saw an advert for Veet 'easy' roll-on wax today, and wondered if anyone waxes at home? I shaved my legs this morning and already I'm feeling stubble. My boyfriend will be here for 3 weeks from tomorrow and the prospect of shaving my legs every day is slightly horrifying. He may have to get used to a hairy beast :laugh:

The reason your hair is doing this is because of the hair growth cycle. Hair grows in three main stages. Stage 1 is when its a brand new hair just coming in *still well below skin level). Stage 2 the hair is grown out above skin level and is visible. Stage three the hair is detached below the skin but still stuck in the pore.You can have more than one hair in the pore at a time (ex Stage 1 and Stage 3 or Stage 2 and Stage 3). What happens when you start something new like waxing is you pull out the hairs that are above the skin but may have hairs still growing in the pore that poke out a few days later. It usually takes a few time before all your hair is growing on the same schedule. The best way to maintain smooth legs is to stick with one type of hair removal method so you hair stays schedule for growth. Hope this helps. :)

I have solved how to not look like a raccoon at funerals by only applying mascara to the upper lashes. However, this isn't solving my clumping problem. Time for a new mascara, maybe? It was a Lancome freebie, Definicils or something like that.

I have worked with so many brands of mascara and my honest opinion? Its the brush not the formula. The brush is key to how you want your lashes to look. I have even mixed and matched brushes from one tube with others and the result is the same for that brush.

Mascara Brush Tips:

The brush size should match up with length and fullness of your own lashes (ie bigger/thicker brushes for longer/thicker lashes)

Bristle brushes are great to add fullness

Rubber brushes are better for lash separation

I usually have two mascaras, one for bottom lashes and one for top.

Cheers! :cheers:

Hi Ladies!

I'm actually an aethetician and would love to help out anyone with questions they have.

The reason your hair is doing this is because of the hair growth cycle. Hair grows in three main stages. Stage 1 is when its a brand new hair just coming in *still well below skin level). Stage 2 the hair is grown out above skin level and is visible. Stage three the hair is detached below the skin but still stuck in the pore.You can have more than one hair in the pore at a time (ex Stage 1 and Stage 3 or Stage 2 and Stage 3). What happens when you start something new like waxing is you pull out the hairs that are above the skin but may have hairs still growing in the pore that poke out a few days later. It usually takes a few time before all your hair is growing on the same schedule. The best way to maintain smooth legs is to stick with one type of hair removal method so you hair stays schedule for growth. Hope this helps. :)

Good to have you here! Gods know some of us need an expert :P Thanks for the information! The thing is I've always shaved, never tried any other method, and my hair still grows back really quickly. Is it just a case of picking the best method for me and sticking to it? Shaving clearly isn't it :laugh:

Good to have you here! Gods know some of us need an expert :P Thanks for the information! The thing is I've always shaved, never tried any other method, and my hair still grows back really quickly. Is it just a case of picking the best method for me and sticking to it? Shaving clearly isn't it :laugh:

Yes, everyone is different. Some people's hair growth cycle is 6 weeks, the average 3-4 weeks, but some its about 2 weeks. (This is if the stages are in sync as I mentioned in a previous post).

Waxing is great for someone with course hair or rapid growth because the hair becomes weakened over long term use. The hairs will become fine and some won't grow back at all. When the hairs are grown out they will be almost invisible and soft to the touch.

I highly reccomend getting waxed professionally though, as there are a lot of things people don't know involved with waxing, and if done wrong can actually get hurt. If you choose to do it at home read and follow the directions very carefully. :)

Lady Shadow Cat, what do you think about products to slow down hair growth? I used to get waxing done professionally in Portugal, and the beauticians there mentioned or used them a few times. I got once a tiny flask with an oil, but I didn't really notice the hair growing slower after using it.

Lady Shadow Cat, what do you think about products to slow down hair growth? I used to get waxing done professionally in Portugal, and the beauticians there mentioned or used them a few times. I got once a tiny flask with an oil, but I didn't really notice the hair growing slower after using it.

I haven't heard of this.Your hair growth, hair type, and hair course-ness is predetermined by your genetics. This means the myth that shaving will make hair grow faster or thicker is false (it just seems that way because the tip of the hair is blunt). The only things that change these things are disease, medications, hormone changes, and repeated stress on the hair papillae (the blood vessel that the hair is attached to, this is why waxing will slow hair growth over a long period of time). So this product may work if it has a hormonal element to it, or medications that have been shown to stunt hair growth. However I have to say I'm skeptical.

I have worked with so many brands of mascara and my honest opinion? Its the brush not the formula. The brush is key to how you want your lashes to look. I have even mixed and matched brushes from one tube with others and the result is the same for that brush.

Mascara Brush Tips:

The brush size should match up with length and fullness of your own lashes (ie bigger/thicker brushes for longer/thicker lashes)

Bristle brushes are great to add fullness

Rubber brushes are better for lash separation

I usually have two mascaras, one for bottom lashes and one for top.

Cheers! :cheers:

Neat! Good to know, thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

A follow-up mascara question before I go buy a new tube: waterproof or not? A friend said the other day that unless it's for a funeral, non-waterproof is better.

A follow-up mascara question before I go buy a new tube: waterproof or not? A friend said the other day that unless it's for a funeral, non-waterproof is better.

Your friend is right. Waterproof mascara should be on reserve for the beach, pools, funerals and weddings. Otherwise, definitely go with the reg mascara. Waterproof is very drying for lash hair and if used for a prolonged time the ends of the hair can break off.

I used to wear waterproof everyday for a long time, and I always thought my lashes were short. When I switched to non waterproof, my lashes started growing and now are mush longer and fuller.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/64de2851b4617465c8a18865cafd501a/tumblr_ml452iiIZo1qehyxro1_500.jpg

I attempted to do a ''goffic'' / ''Death'' from the Sandman series makeover and found my liquid eyeliner really was bloody awful.

What is the best liquid eyeliner/eyeliner in general that people have used? Because I can never quite find one that is perfect, I only ever find ones that are kinda okay/almost good.

http://25.media.tumb...<br /><br />I attempted to do a ''goffic'' / ''Death'' from the Sandman series makeover and found my liquid eyeliner really was bloody awful.

What is the best liquid eyeliner/eyeliner in general that people have used? Because I can never quite find one that is perfect, I only ever find ones that are kinda okay/almost good.

I actually just use the Canadian "Wet n Wild" one lol. I personally like it, the brush is thin and medium length. I hate the ones that are felt tip myself. I also only use liquid for top liner. Bottom liners I never use anything accept an angled brush and eyeshadow. i hate pencils as I find they look too "cartoony" and liquid for the same reason. Eyeshadow on the bottom lid for liner is soft and smokey and looks awesome! Plus you have as many colours to choose from as you do for your eyelids.Here are some of my makeup looks on pinterest. http://pinterest.com/kaylaakalu/makeup-by-me/

I hate waterproof mascara. It takes days to get it all off. And I am loving the Lancome Hypnose mascara and the Lancome mascara base that I bought. It's wonderful, doesn't flake, separates, makes my lashes look really Betty Boop-ish, and is easily removed. Hurrah!

I can't remember if I told you guys about the Benefit Lemonaid stuff I've been using as an eyeshadow base. I am crazy in love with this stuff. My eyeshadow doesn't crease, even when I'm running and getting super sweaty. It's amazing.

ETA: Lady Shadowcat, you are so gorgeous and so is the little girl/fairy princess. I love the makeup you did for your flapper/evening/glamorous look. So, so pretty.

And I'm very intrigued by the sparkly, spiky lashes eye makeup, because I would dress like a showgirl/Cher impersonator if I could get away with it.

I actually just use the Canadian "Wet n Wild" one lol. I personally like it, the brush is thin and medium length. I hate the ones that are felt tip myself. I also only use liquid for top liner. Bottom liners I never use anything accept an angled brush and eyeshadow. i hate pencils as I find they look too "cartoony" and liquid for the same reason. Eyeshadow on the bottom lid for liner is soft and smokey and looks awesome! Plus you have as many colours to choose from as you do for your eyelids.Here are some of my makeup looks on pinterest. http://pinterest.com...u/makeup-by-me/

I agree. When you're 20-something and dragging a pencil across your eyelid, it may not seem like a problem, but trust me, you can't soften that sucker enough to make it go on as smoothly as liquid does when you're... more mature. :P

I love, love, LOVE turning shadows into liners. Just moisten the brush a bit and you can control the application more.

I know we've been talking about makeup, but what does everyone else use to remove all this stuff? I've been using the costco brand of Ponds moistened towelettes to remove all makeup every night. It leaves my skin feeling pretty good and does the job like a champ.

I must say that the Ponds brand does have much more awesome additives, though - green tea and chamomile, for example, and a wonderful scent. Haven't noticed any difference in the results.

Personally I hate the towellettes. Being an esthetician I am extremely consious of takiong care of my skin, and anything that rubs and drags across the skin is a no no.

I prefer to use a cream cleanser to wash my face. I use a milk/cream cleanser for all face washing, including makeup removal and it works great!

@Elder Sister- Thanks!

ETA: Lady Shadowcat, you are so gorgeous and so is the little girl/fairy princess. I love the makeup you did for your flapper/evening/glamorous look. So, so pretty.

And I'm very intrigued by the sparkly, spiky lashes eye makeup, because I would dress like a showgirl/Cher impersonator if I could get away with it.

The little girl is my daughter, so she is often experimented on and usually has the best makeup for Halloween lol. She is the model for all the shots of the kids makeup. The eyelashes were super fun. I wish it was Halloween everyday because I love that stuff too!

Archived