Small questions v.10004

Angalin

I seem to have missed this but why were the Redwyne twins hostages in King's Landing?

It seems originally they were squires to Robert, but after Highgarden declared for Renly Cersei kept them as hostages.

Quick question. I was recently discussing DWD with a fellow class member about Sam at the Citadel, and he mentioned that "Pate" (jaqen) mentioned to Sam that you must pay the doorman to talk to the head maester (cannot remeber his name). This brought up the thought that Jaqen will use Sam to poison and kill the head maester. This theory comming from the Arya chapter and the prologue from FFC.

But didn't Sam talk to the head maester at the Citadel? It has been awhile since I read the book so I don't recall.

thanks

Quick question. I was recently discussing DWD with a fellow class member about Sam at the Citadel, and he mentioned that "Pate" (jaqen) mentioned to Sam that you must pay the doorman to talk to the head maester (cannot remeber his name). This brought up the thought that Jaqen will use Sam to poison and kill the head maester. This theory comming from the Arya chapter and the prologue from FFC.

But didn't Sam talk to the head maester at the Citadel? It has been awhile since I read the book so I don't recall.

thanks

Sam hasn't yet talked to the arch maester, he went with alleras to Marwyn, Sam will go to the citadel to become a maester, so when he give his test in front of an arch maester it might happen as you say, we don't know what might happen, maybe jaquen will kill the arch maester or he wont, i think he is there to watch, to learn about dragons and the prophecy in the song of ice and fire. Also Jaquen has taken the face of pate, if no one has found about him taking the key, then he can move freely in the citadel as well, he doesn't necessarily need sam.

` Actually, now that I think about it, no one has remarked on Robert Strong being as big as the Mountain, which leads me to believe that at the very most he's Gregor's height but can also be a little smaller.

No but it's an interesting thought. The irony of a dwarf's head being passed off as a giant's? Kind of awesome.

For some reason Martin did remark the many "big and ugly" dwarf's heads brought to Cersei.

After all, they only sent that big skull, and not a single giant bone.

And i can't remember Cersei telling Qyburn to save the skull or some like that.

` Actually, now that I think about it, no one has remarked on Robert Strong being as big as the Mountain, which leads me to believe that at the very most he's Gregor's height but can also be a little smaller.

"Her savior was real. Eight feet tall or maybe taller, with legs as thick around as trees, he had a chest worthy of a plow horse and shoulders that would not disgrace an ox."

I was watching the youtube videos on the histories of Westeros- not much new for book geeks, but there is one on the Clegane family. Sandor talks about how the house was started when his grandfather saved Tytos, and says that his grandfather wanted to breed ferocious fighters, like he had with dogs. I know that isn't canon, but as they were narrated by the actual cast, and generally fill in details from the books.

With that in mind, I was wondering if there are any theories about Gregor's amazing size being supernatural? Height in Westeros seems similar to our society (not medieval society, but I assume that's just because it would be odd to read that Ned was five foot three, while the Hound was huge at six foot!). I believe Gregor is eight feet? There have literally been a handful of people that size ever recorded, and they've all been thin and had severe medical problems. A magical cause of Gregor could explain his terrible temper and constant drinking of milk of the poppy. It might also help his body be reanimated as SerRobert Strong.

"Her savior was real. Eight feet tall or maybe taller, with legs as thick around as trees, he had a chest worthy of a plow horse and shoulders that would not disgrace an ox."

There goes that. I didn't remember that from my first read.

I've always felt that Robert Strong would be clumsy. Kind of like a wight or a mummy. Maybe Qyburn can reproduce what Thoros has done with Beric.

I don't know if this has been brought up yet or not, maybe it's just me missing something...

What ever happened (or 'who was she') with the old woman from a BWB chapter in A storm of swords (she had green dreams, I suppose? She was up on the high heart talking to BWB members... here's a recap if anybody wants to refresh their memory... http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/01/a-read-of-ice-and-fire-a-storm-of-swords-part-13).

Anyway, did anything more ever come out of that?

Also, a question totally out of the blue: Are dragons 'Animals'? Let me rephrase that... could the best skinchanger ever seen (warg (I'm pointing at you, Bran! :drool: )) ever be powerful enough to control a dragon?

Let’s say that Cat and Ned had Robb before they married (not a possibility I used their names as an example, but let’s say that this could happen), Robert legitimate Robb and after their marriage they had more children. Could Robb be the heir or not?

I don't know if this has been brought up yet or not, maybe it's just me missing something...

What ever happened (or 'who was she') with the old woman from a BWB chapter in A storm of swords (she had green dreams, I suppose? She was up on the high heart talking to BWB members... here's a recap if anybody wants to refresh their memory... http://www.tor.com/b...-swords-part-13).

Anyway, did anything more ever come out of that?

Also, a question totally out of the blue: Are dragons 'Animals'? Let me rephrase that... could the best skinchanger ever seen (warg (I'm pointing at you, Bran! :drool: )) ever be powerful enough to control a dragon?

The ghost at high heart predicts Catlyen's death and Balon's murder by a faceless man. She was apparently an associate of Jenny of Oldstones who probably died at Summerhal. I think Barristan mentions her in ADWD. It's possible that wargs can control dragons, we don't know. If so that might be one of the reasons the Valyrian freehold never expanded to Westeros.

How long does it take to grow a Weirwood tree? So Mel loves burning them down and the Andals and First Men cut them down. How do they grow? Are there no saplings? I would think with such a fine beautiful wood, people would grow them just so they could harvest the wood.

How long does it take to grow a Weirwood tree? So Mel loves burning them down and the Andals and First Men cut them down. How do they grow? Are there no saplings? I would think with such a fine beautiful wood, people would grow them just so they could harvest the wood.

They produce seed just like any other tree. Bran eats a paste made from them.

And according to BR they live darn near forever.

They grow far too slowly to make worth their harvest.

Archived