Small questions v.10004

Angalin

I've read some of the POVs more than five times, Bran and Jon particularly. But the first time was the only time I read them all the way through. I think he meant that the series isn't finished yet.

I'm a GIRL!

who knighted Ser Robert Strong? Do we know?

IIRC, it was Qyburn who took the request to the small council and Tommen who signed the appointment, so I would say that it was probably the hand of the king at the time, Ser Kevan, who knighted Ser Robert Strong. Kevan has a suspicion of who/what Robert Strong really is, and passed along the request anyway, so I would imagine that it would have been Ser Kevan that knighted him prior to his appointment. Just my opinion, though.

I asked this question once and really wish I could remember all the responses I got. I think it basically boiled down to the fact that Littlefinger had to acquire this rare poison from Lys and then hand it off to the Queen of Thorns/Margery without anyone (read: Varys) knowing. The hairnet method has the added advantage of possibly implicating Sansa/Tyrion in the plot (though I don't think anyone ever made the connection to the hairnet.) Tyrion being accused and executed was part of Littlefinger's plan to free up Sansa. There may even have been an element of letting Sansa feel like in a way she had a hand in the death of the guy who had been tormenting her for months.

Interesting.. it sort of goes along also with a theory that I subscribe to that Littlefinger is masterminding Sansa's stockholm syndrome by accusing her of being responsible for several deaths - "do you want any more blood on those pretty little hands, Sansa?"

Perhaps he makes Sansa the source or carrier of the poison to put a sense of responsibility for Joffrey's death on her conscience.

He makes her feel guily for the deaths of Joffrey, Dontos, Marillion...actually blames her for it even though she had no responsibility for those deaths at all. I believe he does this to make her submissive, co-dependent and afraid.. this keeps her subservient to Littlefinger.

Next step.. create an alternate identity that will allow Sansa to justify morally questionable actions by acting outside the rules and morays of high-born Sansa Stark. Alayne is a bastard and answers to no one but her father. Alayne can rationalize behaviors that Sansa couldn't.

Don't you have to swear something to be knighted? Doesn't Ser Robert Strong not speak? I think it's more likely that he just appeared already a knight. (and technically he is one cause Gregor was.)

How did Ned get Ice back after Rickard and Brandon (one of whom was the presumable owner) were killed?

A lot of people seem to think Ice was only used ceremonially and for beheading people and was too unwieldy for regular combat. Because valyrian steel is supposed to be lighter than regular steel I'm not convinced this was the case. We know Rickard brought his armor to kings landing so why not his fancy sword that would presumably give him an advantage in trial by combat? It's possible Ned just reclaimed it after the sack of Kings Landing. We know he eventually got Rickard and Brandon's bones to bury them at Winterfell so he probably got Ice back at the same time.

ETA: Ok, most kinds of trial by combat. It didn't really help him against the fire.

Don't you have to swear something to be knighted? Doesn't Ser Robert Strong not speak? I think it's more likely that he just appeared already a knight. (and technically he is one cause Gregor was.)

You make a good point.. maybe knighthood transferred since most of the physical material presumably comes from Gregor. A knight does have to swear, but from what I remember from the Dunk and Egg stories, the person who is being knighted has to say "yes" or "no" to the questions posed by the person knighting them - such as "Do you swear to... etc. etc..." Perhaps he can simply nod yes to the questions since he took a "vow of silence". Since Kevan knows the ridiculousness of knighting an undead zombie, I don't think it really matters unless there was an audience where he needed to keep up pretenses.

A lot of people seem to think Ice was only used ceremonially and for beheading people and was too unwieldy for regular combat. Because valyrian steel is supposed to be lighter than regular steel I'm not convinced this was the case. We know Rickard brought his armor to kings landing so why not his fancy sword that would presumably give him an advantage in trial by combat? It's possible Ned just reclaimed it after the sack of Kings Landing. We know he eventually got Rickard and Brandon's bones to bury them at Winterfell so he probably got Ice back at the same time.

ETA: Ok, most kinds of trial by combat. It didn't really help him against the fire.

It's all about fighting style. True, it is Valyrian and lighter, but is still a two handed sword - you can't use a shield (unless you are Gregor). Most fighters like the additional protection of the shield. We don't have that kind of information about Brandon and Rickard, but if I had to bet, I would say they were sword + shield guys.

Remember in Dunk and Egg, a lot of people don't believe Dunk is a knight, he has no witnesses and could easily have lied the whole book. I'm sure someone also doubts whether one of the Kettleblacks was really a knight- he claims he was knighted by a "Robert Stone" when standing near a stone wall...

Point being, I'm confident no one knighted him. There's no point, it isn't like the vow does anything, it doesn't have some mystical power. The main use is to impress upon the knight the importance of chivalry, and obviously to cause some exclusivity, if any peasant could say he was a knight, it would lose all meaning.

Assuming the timeframe of Brandon heading to KL "days before the Brandon-Catelyn wedding," Rickard was likely en route to Riverrun for the wedding when he got his summons from Aerys. Why bring Ice to a wedding?

Assuming the timeframe of Brandon heading to KL "days before the Brandon-Catelyn wedding," Rickard was likely en route to Riverrun for the wedding when he got his summons from Aerys. Why bring Ice to a wedding?

Well why bring your armor to a wedding? we know he had that cause Jamie mentions him putting it on.

When exactly did Stannis join up with Melisandre? She's never mentioned as being with him in King's Landing, so that presumably means he fell into her line when he fled to Dragonstone after Jon Arryn's death. But that's a really short amount of time for such a cold, bitter and calculating man to put 100% of his trust into a sorceress, no?

You make a good point.. maybe knighthood transferred since most of the physical material presumably comes from Gregor. A knight does have to swear, but from what I remember from the Dunk and Egg stories, the person who is being knighted has to say "yes" or "no" to the questions posed by the person knighting them - such as "Do you swear to... etc. etc..." Perhaps he can simply nod yes to the questions since he took a "vow of silence". Since Kevan knows the ridiculousness of knighting an undead zombie, I don't think it really matters unless there was an audience where he needed to keep up pretenses.

I think the words can be said " Ser soandso I charge you with being......" Then the knight would not need to speak. But he was originally and ironically knighted by Prince Rhaegar himself.

Remember in Dunk and Egg, a lot of people don't believe Dunk is a knight, he has no witnesses and could easily have lied the whole book. I'm sure someone also doubts whether one of the Kettleblacks was really a knight- he claims he was knighted by a "Robert Stone" when standing near a stone wall...

Point being, I'm confident no one knighted him. There's no point, it isn't like the vow does anything, it doesn't have some mystical power. The main use is to impress upon the knight the importance of chivalry, and obviously to cause some exclusivity, if any peasant could say he was a knight, it would lose all meaning.

And Baelor took up for Dunk so no one questioned it again.

So glad this thread exists. Without it, there would so many more threads. Anyway, I have a question about Dany and fire resistance. We know that she has a higher tolerance to heat versus "normal" people. We also know that her surviving the pyre was because it was a "magical event".

My question is, does Dany know her limitations as far as fire is concerned?

When exactly did Stannis join up with Melisandre? She's never mentioned as being with him in King's Landing, so that presumably means he fell into her line when he fled to Dragonstone after Jon Arryn's death. But that's a really short amount of time for such a cold, bitter and calculating man to put 100% of his trust into a sorceress, no?

They mention in AGoT that Stannis has "gotten a red wizard" or something like that.

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1200

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1162

Warning: include() [function.include]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/classes/class_localization.php on line 835

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1162

So glad this thread exists. Without it, there would so many more threads. Anyway, I have a question about Dany and fire resistance. We know that she has a higher tolerance to heat versus "normal" people. We also know that her surviving the pyre was because it was a "magical event".

I don't believe she does, she blatantly walks in the pit with Drogon. However this isn't really a small question is it? Might not have a lot of words but it cannot be answered in a small way since its more of a topic of debate.

I think she does,

because in the pits she ducks under the flame that Drogon breathes out.

Remember in Dunk and Egg, a lot of people don't believe Dunk is a knight, he has no witnesses and could easily have lied the whole book.

Yes, He could have easily lied the whole time...and I think he was.

We have his internal monologue, yet he never actually remembers being knighted. He just tells people he was. And there is a couple of his private thoughts that elude to it, although, I can't recall them specifically ATM.

Archived