Small questions v.10004

Angalin

Is Bronn's name Stokeworth Or Blackwater? He was proclaimed Bronn of the Blackwater after the battle and I thought it was customary for knights to assume given names (where none exist) upon becoming Lords. I just thought that it wouldn't make sense for a Westerosi man to take his wife's name.

Really minor thing that really annoys me- why is Robb the king "in the North" instead of "of the North"? Surely his title should designate his kingdom, not his location? I don't understand why he has a description like Stannis in the appendix, for example, where he's called "the King at the Wall" or "the King in the Narrow Sea". I assume there's some historical equivalency?

Really minor thing that really annoys me- why is Robb the king "in the North" instead of "of the North"? Surely his title should designate his kingdom, not his location? I don't understand why he has a description like Stannis in the appendix, for example, where he's called "the King at the Wall" or "the King in the Narrow Sea". I assume there's some historical equivalency?

His bannermen don't recognise Joffrey's legitimacy as a King. Calling Robb the King of the North would be admitting that Joffrey is King of the South, whereas King in the North suggests that he is the true King, but only controls the North for the moment. That's how I've always seen it, anyway.

His bannermen don't recognise Joffrey's legitimacy as a King. Calling Robb the King of the North would be admitting that Joffrey is King of the South, whereas King in the North suggests that he is the true King, but only controls the North for the moment. That's how I've always seen it, anyway.

Not a bad explanation, but it still doesn't really make sense to me. Why does that imply Joff, not Renly or Stannis or anyone, is king of the south?

Has it ever been explained why there are no characters named Henry, Edward, Michael, William, Chris, and other common names? Same thing with girl names; Catherine, Michelle, Sarah, Joan, etc...

Well I'm pretty sure Michelle, Sarah and Chris weren't in use in the Middle Ages but I think GRRM just likes to changes name slightly eg. Catherine=Catelyn, William=Willem, Edward=Eddard.

When Bran looks through the weirnet for the first time, he sees a lot of visions, one of them of a pregnant woman praying for a son to avenge her. Do we know who that is?

No, but it is thought likely to be one of the She-wolves of Winterfell, a group of Stark women whose husbands all died in battle (against the ironborn?) and who ran Winterfell for a time. Dunc and Egg will supposedly visit them in a forthcoming novella.

No, but it is thought likely to be one of the She-wolves of Winterfell, a group of Stark women whose husbands all died in battle (against the ironborn?) and who ran Winterfell for a time. Dunc and Egg will supposedly visit them in a forthcoming novella.

ahh, nice, thanks

A few years ago I started reading this series and read the first two volumes. For various reasons I left the series before starting A Storm of Swords and never came back to it. I want to get back into the series but I don't want to start from the beginning as I hate re-reading books, especially ones as long as Martin's. Besides re-reading the books, what do some of you recommend I do to catch up on what hapenned in the first two books? Read synopses on Wikipedia, run through the Wiki, how about watching the first two series of the HBO drama? or do you think I am going to need to read them again whether I like it or not, the books being so deep and intricate?

A few years ago I started reading this series and read the first two volumes. For various reasons I left the series before starting A Storm of Swords and never came back to it. I want to get back into the series but I don't want to start from the beginning as I hate re-reading books, especially ones as long as Martin's. Besides re-reading the books, what do some of you recommend I do to catch up on what hapenned in the first two books? Read synopses on Wikipedia, run through the Wiki, how about watching the first two series of the HBO drama? or do you think I am going to need to read them again whether I like it or not, the books being so deep and intricate?

The show doesnt have half the info thats in the books. I would just read them over. I'll bet theres going to be a bunch of stuff that you didnt pick up the first read. Most people find new info in their many re reads.

And theyre just really good books. George is a genuis, I can re read these books over and over but not so much with others.

Id also get yourself the 3 Dunk and Egg novels that are out. A lot of info from the past in those.

Yes. It grows while he is beyond the Wall in aCoK.

Thank you :)

When Bran looks through the weirnet for the first time, he sees a lot of visions, one of them of a pregnant woman praying for a son to avenge her. Do we know who that is?

I thought her name was Southron Ambitions

Although the series is great fun, I would not recommend you watch the first two series and then go for book 3 as they have changed quite a lot of events and character motivations, and it could even serve to confuse you further when you read ASOS. I would say reread the books, but if you REALLY don't want to do that, you can read the chapter summaries at the WOIAF: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Chapters

That should be more than enough to get you going again imo

Are Cersei's charges compounded into one big accusation or is she being charged separately on each charge; deicide, regicide, incest etc..?

She's chosen (or will choose) trial by combat, so all the charges are considered proven/disproven on the outcome of that contest. If she had chosen trial by faith then each charge would most likely be dealt with separately but since 3 out of 4 (possibly all 4, not sure about incest) carry the death penalty it would hardly seem to matter.

"King in the North" is a pre-conquest styling from the days when the 7 kingdoms were actually 7 kingdoms. The last person prior to Robb to use that title was Torrhen Stark, The King Who Knelt. this is an unbroken line of Stark kings that resisted even the Andals. As to why it's "in" instead of "of", well GRRM might just have thought it sounded better or it has some deeper significance, possibly relating to the styling "King of Winter" :dunno: (which curiously Maege Mormont alone shouts during the feast at Riverrun when Robb is declared)

but if you REALLY don't want to do that, you can read the chapter summaries at the WOIAF: http://awoiaf.wester...ex.php/Chapters

That should be more than enough to get you going again imo

Oh fantastic, this is what I was hoping for! I actually watched the first HBO episode last night and really enjoyed it and it jogged my memory a little as to the events of the book. I'll continue watching the next few episodes while cross-referencing the events with the Wiki chapter summary. I'll take the HBO episodes with a grain of salt, don't worry. I just don't think I could keep all that information in the chapter summaries in my head without complementing it with something more visual.

Anyway, I'd call that question answered well and good. Thanks!

Oh fantastic, this is what I was hoping for! I actually watched the first HBO episode last night and really enjoyed it and it jogged my memory a little as to the events of the book. I'll continue watching the next few episodes while cross-referencing the events with the Wiki chapter summary. I'll take the HBO episodes with a grain of salt, don't worry. I just don't think I could keep all that information in the chapter summaries in my head without complementing it with something more visual.

Anyway, I'd call that question answered well and good. Thanks!

Glad to be of service!

Archived