Small questions v.10004

Angalin

"King in the North" is a pre-conquest styling from the days when the 7 kingdoms were actually 7 kingdoms. The last person prior to Robb to use that title was Torrhen Stark, The King Who Knelt. this is an unbroken line of Stark kings that resisted even the Andals. As to why it's "in" instead of "of", well GRRM might just have thought it sounded better or it has some deeper significance, possibly relating to the styling "King of Winter" :dunno: (which curiously Maege Mormont alone shouts during the feast at Riverrun when Robb is declared)

I think GRRM probably chose "in" over "of" because it sounded better and not because of any deeper meaning. As you mention, the term dates from when the North was one of seven independent kingdoms. All the history we know suggests that the King in the North was nothing more or less than the sovereign of northern region.

His bannermen don't recognise Joffrey's legitimacy as a King. Calling Robb the King of the North would be admitting that Joffrey is King of the South, whereas King in the North suggests that he is the true King, but only controls the North for the moment. That's how I've always seen it, anyway.

Since the name King In the North predates Robb's war, it doesn't represent a commentary about the theory behind the war and Robb's claim to power other than what the term meant in the past. The history of the term indicates that Robb was returning the north to its former status as an independent kingdom. It doesn't reflect on Joffrey's legitimacy as the heir to the Iron Throne. As far as I remember, Robb was crowned King in the North prior to anyone in his host learning what Ned had found out about Joff's parentage. The term "War of the Five Kings" is misleading because only three of them are vying for the Iron Throne while Robb and Balon are leading secession movements.

What does Cersei stand accused of? Incest, regicide and adultery I get because she slept with Jamie, killed Robert and slept with Lancel, the Kettleblacks etc. But deicide? Is that because she killed the High Septon?

Yes. In a conversation with Kevan, Cersei has a similar "WTF?" to the deicide charge and Kevan clarifies that it's for the High Septon.

What does Cersei stand accused of? Incest, regicide and adultery I get because she slept with Jamie, killed Robert and slept with Lancel, the Kettleblacks etc. But deicide? Is that because she killed the High Septon?

It's actually high treason she is charged with not adultery, as adultery against the king is considered high treason.

As I understand it, sleeping with Lancel and Kettleblack is not High Treason as Cersei is a widow. She confesses to that because the High Septon already has evidence of it and in the hope that it makes her look honest while denying the worse charge of sleeping with Jaime while Robert was alive and planting bastards in the Royal Line. This is the High Treason which would see her (and Jaime) dead. The High Septon isn't very interested in her confession - he says the wickedness of widows is well known. The walk of shame is a punishment for that 'wickedness' - useful to the High Septon because it erodes her reputation and means she will never be able to wield power again and creates a negative image before any Trial for Treason (and deicide!) arises.

However, I am not an expert.

My small question is - do we know which Shield island is which on the map. I couldn't find that info on this site (search is not my friend) and they are not separately labelled in the books.

I found another fan site that said: Oakenshield - north, Southshield - south, Greenshield - east, Greyshield - west, which sounds right to me. Do we know for sure, or has it never been spelled out?

I thought I read somewhere that the last time the regional wardens were activated was during the War of the Ninepenny Kings. This would seem to lend evidence to the office being military in practice.

Historically, there were such wardens in England and it was a military office. Supposed to be guarding against external enemies. A bit different because the Marches seem to basically have the lands on either side of the English-Scottish and English-Welsh borders.

Why is Theon Greyjoy named after Theon Stark?

He isn't, the two just coincidentally seem to share the same name. It could be foreshadowing for Theon, but he definitely wasn't named for a Stark.

Is there a plausible and well-received fan theory on that weird time-loop Tyrion experiences on the river in ADwD? It's such a surreal and utterly unexpected scifi-ish moment... and then nothing. Noone in the books comments on it or gives it more than a glancing consideration.

Any ideas out there on what it might be?

what?

He says it's his namesake though when he is in the crypts talking to Lady Dustin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namesake

Namesake is a term used to characterize a person, place, thing, quality, action, state, or idea that has the same, or a similar, name to another.

There has been some discrepancy as to whether the name source or the name target takes the term namesake. According to the American Heritage Dictionary, a namesake is a person or thing named after another.[6] In other words, the name target takes the term namesake, as in

"I was named after my grandfather. I am his namesake."

The Oxford English Dictionary and Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary are not so restrictive. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, a namesake is a person or thing having the same name as another. Merriam-Webster's Dictionary defines "namesake" as "one that has the same name as another; especially one who is named after another or for whom another is named",[6]allowing the usage of:

"I met a person who happened to have the same name as me. We are namesakes."

As I understand it, sleeping with Lancel and Kettleblack is not High Treason as Cersei is a widow. She confesses to that because the High Septon already has evidence of it and in the hope that it makes her look honest while denying the worse charge of sleeping with Jaime while Robert was alive and planting bastards in the Royal Line. This is the High Treason which would see her (and Jaime) dead. The High Septon isn't very interested in her confession - he says the wickedness of widows is well known. The walk of shame is a punishment for that 'wickedness' - useful to the High Septon because it erodes her reputation and means she will never be able to wield power again and creates a negative image before any Trial for Treason (and deicide!) arises.

However, I am not an expert.

Spot on. She is not being tried for the crimes she confessed to, just the ones she was accused of & denied. Also, sleeping with Lancel isn't incest in Westeros (Tywin & his wife were cousins).

I was browsing around the wiki and found an entry about a dwarf jester in the service of Viserys I called Mushroom and I have to confess I don't remember him being mentioned at all. Unfortunately the wiki lacks a reference - could any of you point me in the general direction of how we know about him (like whose POV or which book)?

I was browsing around the wiki and found an entry about a dwarf jester in the service of Viserys I called Mushroom and I have to confess I don't remember him being mentioned at all. Unfortunately the wiki lacks a reference - could any of you point me in the general direction of how we know about him (like whose POV or which book)?

He's not mentioned in the novels. He's supposed to be one of the authors of the blurbs in "The World of Ice and Fire" I think Martin only mentioned him at an event/reading so far.

Edit: found this http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2012/09/03-worldcon-grrm-reading-forum/

GRRM's favorite character from the book, "Mushroom," is a dwarf jester who helps recount the dance with dragons.

Archived