Small questions v.10004

Angalin

Are there any good threads to read on the comings and goings of Varys and Littlefinger throughout the 5 books? I'm in the middle of a re-read and was going to sort of keep tabs on them and what they're up to. But was hoping maybe someone else had beat me to it already!

What's up with House Dayne? Are they a cousin branch of the Targaryens, given their close association and similarity of hair/eye color? And what are the chances Aegon VI (Young Griff) is really Ashara Dayne's (and perhaps Ned Stark's) son?

What's up with House Dayne? Are they a cousin branch of the Targaryens, given their close association and similarity of hair/eye color? And what are the chances Aegon VI (Young Griff) is really Ashara Dayne's (and perhaps Ned Stark's) son?

They are descendants of the First Men, so no Targaryen relationship.

Is there a chance for Septon Meribald to be the new High Septon?

I suppose, but I think it's about as likely as Hodor becoming the next LC of the Night's Watch...

There are a lot of people who think Aegon is Ashara Dayne's son. Possible fathers include Aerys Targaryen and Brandon Stark. To be fair, Ned and Rhaegar would work equally well since the clues are fairly slim. There is an ongoing discussion of this on various R+L=J threads.

What happened to Lord Rickard Stark's maester, Walys? He arranged the Tully marriage, but Catelyn states that Maester Luwin delivered all of her children, so presumably he came to Winterfell from Riverrun with her. So Walys was... fired? reassigned? dead?

What happened to Lord Rickard Stark's maester, Walys? He arranged the Tully marriage, but Catelyn states that Maester Luwin delivered all of her children, so presumably he came to Winterfell from Riverrun with her. So Walys was... fired? reassigned? dead?

My speculation is that Walys just died. Where and how he died would be unknown, though there are several ideas that could be plausible. Old age is one way. We also know that maester's travel with their lords at times. He may have gone to KL with Rickard and been killed with the rest of them. That would offer a reason why Pycelle turned on Aerys when Tywin showed up. Having one's sworn brother killed doesn't make for a very happy Archmaester. I think it might be safe to say that Walys died before the end up the rebellion and Luwin was probably Walys' replacement and he met Cat at Riverrun and then traveled up from there. Given Cat's comments about having known the measter at Riverrun all her life, Luwin definitely wasn't that maester.

There's a recent thread with other speculations.

Is it accepted as fact that Joffrey sent the assassin to kill Bran? I always assumed that it was LittleFinger.

It is accepted as fact. Tyrion and Jaime realize that Joffrey sent the assassin. LF already set up the Starks by having Ned come to KL.

Was it confirmed that Mandon Moore attacked Tyrion under Cersei`s orders, or will this be another "who sent the assassin after Bran" or "who killed Jon Arryn" case?

Never confirmed. Varys seemed to point to Cersei. Could be for his own ends.

Is it ever known/hinted at what happened to the original crown of the Starks that Torrhen gave to Aegon during the conquest? (In the novellas)

Thanks to those who answer.

I've read the three D&E tales and they haven't done much in the way of mentioning Starks except that they want to see The Wall. No mention of the crown tho.

Here's a very trivial question, but since this is the song of ICE and fire, I hope someone knows the answer.

In book 1, Maester Pycelle and Ned Stark both enjoy a glass of iced milk with honey. Where and how does one get ice in the summer in King's Landing before it melts?

How did anyone get ice in the summer in the old days?

How did anyone get ice in the summer in the old days?

Ice as a luxury good was well known in e.g. ancient Rome. They usually either mined it from the mountains and brought it to the city (a large block of ice will keep a looong time) or they gathered it during the winter and stored it in an icehouse (usually underground) where it will keep for months. Both would be difficult in King's Landing, so that ice would really have been a great extravaganza on Pycelle's part (which I believe it was meant to be): Either the Ice would have had to be kept from several years ago or it would have had to be shipped from the North or the top of the Mountains for the Moon or something.

By the way, a way for manufacturing ice was also known in classical times, through insulating a large water reservoir during the day and uncovering it during the night. If the humidity is very low (desert style), then enough water will evaporate for the rest to become so cold as to actually form ice you can harvest. This method is extremely laborious though and would not work anywhere near King's Landing.

Archived