Small questions v.10004

Angalin

We never hear the name of the new high septon, correct?

Correct.

Taena and Cersei take the new high septon as an example to talk at length about how high septons generally don't have names anymore, as if to smack us in the face with a big "His name would have been important" sign. We never hear it though.

Correct.

Taena and Cersei take the new high septon as an example to talk at length about how high septons generally don't have names anymore, as if to smack us in the face with a big "His name would have been important" sign. We never hear it though.

It's Rugen, har!

Correct.

Am I wrong in assuming that since he's a Sparrow he was likely a commoner with no last name?

Does Howland Reed know that Meera and Jojen are still alive?

Do we? Anyway it's possible he knows via some magic/knowledge he picked up while on the isle of faces. Maybe Jojen even told him which day he would finally die. I'd bet that he's pretty worried though.

This passage is from Bran's first ADWD chapter:

The eyes of the three wolves glowed yellow. The direwolf swung his head from side to side, nostrils flaring, then bared his fangs in a snarl. The younger male backed away. The direwolf could smell the fear in him. Tail, he knew. But the one-eyed wolf answered with a growl and moved to block his advance. Head. And he does not fear me though I am twice his size.

Their eyes met.

Warg!

Then the two rushed together, wolf and direwolf, and there was no more time for thought.

My interest is in where he thinks, Warg! just before the fight. How did Bran know that the one-eyed wolf was being warged?

Am I wrong in assuming that since he's a Sparrow he was likely a commoner with no last name?

No, that does seem plausible. He appears to have been a wandering septon before (the state of his feet attests to that), and few highborns would accept such a life. Still, leaders of "for the people" factions are not always from the people themselves, so I do wonder... but of course, he may just as well be a John Doe and nothing more.

Cersei certainly does not know him. Orton Merryweather claims that he was born "with filth beneath his fingernails" and Cersei thinks that likely.

Does Howland Reed know that Meera and Jojen are still alive?

I think yes. When Theon occupied Winterfell, Maester Luwin told him “Moat Cailin sits on the edge of the bogs. Lord Howland can make your uncle’s occupation a visit to hell if he chooses, but so long as you hold his heirs he must stay his hand.” In ADWD, we see the hell the crannogmen have unleashed on the Ironborn which implies that Howland knew his heirs were not only alive, but also not serving as hostages.

Correct.

It's Benjen Stark.

This passage is from Bran's first ADWD chapter:

My interest is in where he thinks, Warg! just before the fight. How did Bran know that the one-eyed wolf was being warged?

It is just as Jon knew Borroq was a skinchanger and Borroq and Varamyr recognized Jon as a warg. Varamyr said, "One skinchanger can always sense another."

I think yes. When Theon occupied Winterfell, Maester Luwin told him “Moat Cailin sits on the edge of the bogs. Lord Howland can make your uncle’s occupation a visit to hell if he chooses, but so long as you hold his heirs he must stay his hand.” In ADWD, we see the hell the crannogmen have unleashed on the Ironborn which implies that Howland knew his heirs were not only alive, but also not serving as hostages.

Or he could presume them already dead.

I guess he'd have expected a ransom demand if they were still somebody's hostage. So he must figure he is free to act either way.

Ice as a luxury good was well known in e.g. ancient Rome. They usually either mined it from the mountains and brought it to the city (a large block of ice will keep a looong time) or they gathered it during the winter and stored it in an icehouse (usually underground) where it will keep for months. Both would be difficult in King's Landing, so that ice would really have been a great extravaganza on Pycelle's part (which I believe it was meant to be): Either the Ice would have had to be kept from several years ago or it would have had to be shipped from the North or the top of the Mountains for the Moon or something.

By the way, a way for manufacturing ice was also known in classical times, through insulating a large water reservoir during the day and uncovering it during the night. If the humidity is very low (desert style), then enough water will evaporate for the rest to become so cold as to actually form ice you can harvest. This method is extremely laborious though and would not work anywhere near King's Landing.

Excellent answer!!! Thank you. I feel educated.

Would he not have known from his own son that they weren't going to get captured? Did Theon even know of the Reeds being there?

Jojen knew he was going to take Bran to the 3EC, so that means they got out alive.

Theon knew the Reeds were there, he didn't think much about them until Luwin pointed out their value. We don't know much about Jojen's greendreams but from the two examples I can remember (winged wolf in chains and the sea coming to Winterfell) they're sorta vague and it's hard to make definite predictions from them. (Much like Mel looking into the flames.) For example Jojen didn't know the Ironborn were coming to Winterfell, even though he predicted it in a sense. I don't think Jojen or his father knew with certainty that the group would make it to the Three Eyed Crow

Here's a minor problem i have with asos: When cersei talks with Jaime insisting Tyrion is joff's killer, Jaime says "he wouldnt lie to me" or sthg like that, the point is, that Tyrion wont lie to Jaime. But, from their dialogue during Tyrion's escape it seems that that's the first time they speak since Jaime returned/Tyrion's trial. So, how is Tyrion supposed to not lie to Jaime if they havent spoken in the first place? Does Jaime mean that Tyrion wouldnt lie in front of court knowing Jaime is there? Well that's stupid, also Tyrion doesnt notice him probably anyway. Any thoughts?

Here's a minor problem i have with asos: When cersei talks with Jaime insisting Tyrion is joff's killer, Jaime says "he wouldnt lie to me" or sthg like that, the point is, that Tyrion wont lie to Jaime. But, from their dialogue during Tyrion's escape it seems that that's the first time they speak since Jaime returned/Tyrion's trial. So, how is Tyrion supposed to not lie to Jaime if they havent spoken in the first place? Does Jaime mean that Tyrion wouldnt lie in front of court knowing Jaime is there? Well that's stupid, also Tyrion doesnt notice him probably anyway. Any thoughts?

Isn't Jaime talking about the conversation with Tyrion in the dungeons, or is it before that (the exchange with Cersei)?

^ Not sure what you mean? The conversation with Cersei i am talking about is the one when she comes to the White Tower to give him a blowjob, he refuses and then she calls him a cripple. It is during Tyrion's trial, so before Tyrion's escape obviously.

That's what I meant, I didn't remember what happened when regarding your question. Maybe something that happened offscreen? If you could provide a quote maybe? Or someone more knowledgable than me on the matter has an explanation. I admit I either never noticed this, or if I did I assumed it happened offscreen for some reason.

Archived