Small questions v.10004

Angalin

in ASOS, Sam tells the LC that the rest of the dragonglass cache that Jon found was back at the Fist of the First Men. I thought Jon had given all the dragonglass away to his brothers in the NW. Sam only had a dozen or so dragonglass arrowheads/spearheads. Where are the rest of them?

I'm pretty sure the big bag full of them was left on the Fist of the First Men in the chaos of the flight from it. At some point either Sam or Mormont talks about how if they had the rest of them, they'd be able to fight the Others better but there was no way they'd make it to the Fist and back alive.

None of the Brothers knew that it would have the magical fighting properties that it did so they've only got the spearheads and arrows left. The others might have been given away to various Night's Watch members who died on the Fist.

I have a question!

There is this big topic called The Great Northern conspiracy, and its awesome. But I know there is another huge famous topic about that. Its just that I cant find it, because I dont know the title of the topic..

The topic is about manderly his conspiracies and a bit about Jon if I'm right. Anyone has any idea where I can find that topic?

Do you mean this

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/59217-the-northmen-inside-and-outside-winterfell-conspiration/page__st__320

Question about warfare in Westeros. Do Smallfolk take part in warfare or are "Bannermen" exclusively nobility/knights/mercenaries?

The majority of a host will be made up of the smallfolk. Robb's host when he left Winterfell was about 20,000 (IIRC) of which 3000 were "armoured lance", this includes his 300-400 knights & 2600-2700 men-at-arms & nobility. The rest are raised from the villages & towns and are not well supplied.

I'm pretty sure the big bag full of them was left on the Fist of the First Men in the chaos of the flight from it. At some point either Sam or Mormont talks about how if they had the rest of them, they'd be able to fight the Others better but there was no way they'd make it to the Fist and back alive.

That's the way I read it too. The LC said they need to go back to the Fist to get the dragonglass, but without dragonglass weapons they'd never make it. I guess I was under the impression Jon had given it all away, but only Sam was able to use his against the Others.

Also, wouldn't the wildlings have found it (the rest of Jon's dragonglass) when Mance and Co. make camp at the Fist on their way to the Wall? Sam does have that broken hunting horn, though. ;)

What, if anything, is know about Aegon V (Egg)'s third son? I have the inklings of a theory forming, and am curious. Any help is appreciated. I did try searching, but the function wouldn't work for me.

from http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/47184-the-factual-history-of-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-including-complete-bibliography/

THE SHORT STORIES & GRAPHIC NOVELS

These short novellas (roughly 100 pages each) form an ongoing serial which begins 89 years before A Game of Thrones and is expected (but not confirmed) to run through to about 39 years before AGoT. They chronicle the adventures of the hedge knight, Ser Duncan the Tall ('Dunk') and his young squire, 'Egg'. George RR Martin has said that there could be as many as nine to twelve of these stories.

The Hedge Knight (1998)

The Sworn Sword (2003)

The Mystery Knight (2010)

Is where most, if not all, the information we get for Egg comes from(I think)

Do we have an idea how close together Ashara Dayne and Elia Martell gave birth to their children?

I'm reading all kinds of theories and it would be interesting if their babies were switched, though I guess the switch could be happening a few too many times for some.

(Ashara Dayne was dishonoured at Harrenhal in 281, so the baby would have been born around 282, same as Aegon T was. But if Elia Martell nearly died in childbirth, then why did her baby make it? Rhaegar saw a healthy (?) son. Now, if the babies were switched and Rhaegar's was a dead girl, he'd have had his 2 girls and 1 boy if L+R=J is true. Elia might have not dared to present Rhaegar with a dead baby, and seeing how she would not have a third child, could everything have been decided very fast? Ashara hearing her son was brutally killed and then her brother too might have lead to the suicide. But that son could have been switched again for another by Varys who might have not heard about the initial switch, and now thinks he has a real Targ in his hands while it could be it's the bastard of Ashara and possibly Aerys II to give him his Targ looks.

Interesting, but so many switches. And how will Dany, if it is indeed her roll, figure that out.)

Do we have an idea how close together Ashara Dayne and Elia Martell gave birth to their children?

I'm reading all kinds of theories and it would be interesting if their babies were switched, though I guess the switch could be happening a few too many times for some.

(Ashara Dayne was dishonoured at Harrenhal in 281, so the baby would have been born around 282, same as Aegon T was. But if Elia Martell nearly died in childbirth, then why did her baby make it? Rhaegar saw a healthy (?) son. Now, if the babies were switched and Rhaegar's was a dead girl, he'd have had his 2 girls and 1 boy if L+R=J is true. Elia might have not dared to present Rhaegar with a dead baby, and seeing how she would not have a third child, could everything have been decided very fast? Ashara hearing her son was brutally killed and then her brother too might have lead to the suicide. But that son could have been switched again for another by Varys who might have not heard about the initial switch, and now thinks he has a real Targ in his hands while it could be it's the bastard of Ashara and possibly Aerys II to give him his Targ looks.

Interesting, but so many switches. And how will Dany, if it is indeed her roll, figure that out.)

Wheels within wheels, right? ;)

I believe they would have been due very close together since both are rumored to have conceived right around (or at) the HH tourney

Rhaegar might have had some explaining to do to his wife after crowning Lyanna, and she needed assurance that she was still liked. Lol.

I almost wanted to say that for such a theory to be true Ashara and Elia had to almost be in the birthing bed at the same time, but then I remembered that Ashara going into labour might have been kept pretty quiet since it was a bastard, so if the baby was a few days old that was enough for the switch to have gone unnoticed (would Rhaegar have noticed the baby was a few days old?)

That's a pretty sad situation for Elia, though, since the pressure is so on a future queen to have male heirs and then hearing you cannot give your crown prince husband any more children... She must have feared Rhaegar's reaction, and even if she managed to convince him that boy was hers, he STILL left her for another woman. Ouch.

Great new theory I picked up today, thanks for answering the question! :P

Does anyone know anything about Stark marriages before Ned`s, Lyanna`s and Brandon`s generation? I know they once married with Royces, but what about others? And is there possibility they have ever married to Karstarks? I think I have read something about it, but I can`t remember.

Thanks for the help.

Does anyone know anything about Stark marriages before Ned`s, Lyanna`s and Brandon`s generation? I know they once married with Royces, but what about others? And is there possibility they have ever married to Karstarks? I think I have read something about it, but I can`t remember.

Thanks for the help.

Alys's father tried to get Ned to agree to Robb marrying her. If I had to guess, it's more than likely happened. Starks have married Flints, Ned's mom or grandmother or something was one.

Was Araya marrying a Frey a logical match for her? Seems like something that was would have been a decent idea had Ned been alive.

I doubt it. I imagine that Ned would have set her up with someone from the North or maybe even the Vale. They had a duty to come to the aid of the Tullys during Roberts Rebellion and came late. Ned remembers that and Cat does too. Her family never really liked or respected the Freys. I think he would want someone from a more honorable family.

Was Araya marrying a Frey a logical match for her? Seems like something that was would have been a decent idea had Ned been alive.

I'm guessing no. She wouldn't be married to an heir, for one thing. There's really nothing to gain by marrying into the Freys at that point, certainly not for someone of Arya's standing to marry someone way down the line.

Which isle is he referring to? The Isle of Faces?

When that guy says that, they are camped at a little village. The village is on a lake, and across the lake is an island with one or more weirwood trees. I think that's what Wull's talking about. At some point in one of those chapters Asha goes to look at the weirwood faces.

Archived