What are you reading in April?

mashiara

Finished Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris yesterday to complete the T.R. biographical trilogy. The first part of the book and the epilogue were great, however the second half of the book when you obviously know you know T.R. is going to die it seemed that Morris changed the tone into something melancholy which compared to the first 2 1/2 books was a bit jarring. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book and thought it was a excellent concluding volume by Morris however something stylistic changed in the second half of the book.

Today I started The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie.

Dunnett is great. As was mentioned, her work can be dense and she does throw in quotes in different languages, especially during the Lymond series, but it lessens later in her books. I love her plotting and her books, once you get past the first 100-200 pages, fly by so fast and come together at the end better than most other books I've read. Well worth reading, especially if you're at all interested in the time period as they are impeccably researched.

Thank you for this feedback--I am more psyched than ever to read her.

I finally started with So Many Books, the essays are interesting...

I also picked up Perdido Street Station, by China Miéville. I'm around 100 pages into it, so far, I'm loving New Crobuzon.

I love Paul Austers books. One of my top 5 authors (non fantasy authors) with Douglas Coupland. I don't think I would start with the new york trilogy though. It's an interesting read but very strange and one of his weirdest novels.

Start with country of the last things, Brooklin follies, Invisible or man in the dark... hell start with any of his books. Def read the new york trilogy but I wouldn't start there. Or if you do start there and dislike it then make sure you try another.

Kinda reminds me of Gaiman... lots of magic in their books

Thanks for the recommendation! :D

The Judge and His Hangman by Duerrenmatt, most enjoyable thing I've read in a long time, atmospheric crime story, old detective working to bring about Justice, if you like Maigret, Sherlock Holmes or Philip Marlowe stories then give it a go.

Just finished Blood and Bone, one of Esselmont's Malazan books and the last book in my Malazan re-read. This book was a bit of a disappointment. There didn't seem much point to it.

Reading Belgarath the Sorceror, after which I'll re-read the Belgariad and Mallorean.

Just finished Blood and Bone, one of Esselmont's Malazan books and the last book in my Malazan re-read. This book was a bit of a disappointment. There didn't seem much point to it.

Reading Belgarath the Sorceror, after which I'll re-read the Belgariad and Mallorean.

What about the other Esselmont books?

Just finished Ian Tregillis' Necessary Evil and man it was awesome! The Milkweed Triptych is definitely one of the very best speculative fiction series of the new millennium! Great read!

Check out the Hotlist for the full review. . . :)

Cheers,

Patrick

True, but my biggest regret about Tregillis' second and third books is that the cover design is so mundane. I can't be the only person who bought the first book solely because of how great the cover art looked. Nazi witches walking on skulls was an inspired choice.

Bro holding a gun is much less so.

In terms of marketing, Tor never gave Tregillis a chance. The cover art for the final volume is so bad, it looks as though they didn't want it to sell at all. . . :(

Too bad, as this series has a lot of crossover appeal. . .

Patrick

Just started the Malazan series... on the first book "Gardens of the Moon". So far so good, though just a wee bit confusing. I've heard it is somewhat better (or it makes more sense) on a reread. I also went in aware of the fact that you're thrown right into a plot already thick with action and goings on. I like that.... no hand holding in Erikson's style whatsoever.

Just started the Malazan series... on the first book "Gardens of the Moon". So far so good, though just a wee bit confusing. I've heard it is somewhat better (or it makes more sense) on a reread. I also went in aware of the fact that you're thrown right into a plot already thick with action and goings on. I like that.... no hand holding in Erikson's style whatsoever.

Even thought I loved some Malazan books, a reread sounds torturous.

Just finished "The Half-Made World". It was good, but didn't quite live up to my expectations. I doubt that I will read "The Rise of Ransom City" as I understand that it's not a direct sequel.

I'm also about 60 percent through the third Lymond Chronicles book "The Disorderly Knights" and it is getting good.

Just started "Cat's Cradle" as well. Haven't read any Vonnegut since "Slaughterhouse five" and that was about four years ago.

Since I last posted in here I've read:

The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks. Lot of fun. Weeks isn't the best writer, but he gets better with each novel.

An Artist Of The Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro. Really good book, and a nice counterpoint to The Remains Of The Day.

Troubles by J.G. Farrell. Great book. Farrell is hilarious, and he portrays the fading British Empire in a very funny, and very poignant way.

The Mirage by Naguib Mahfouz. A powerful psychological portrait of a dominated and narcissistic young man.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Holy shit. Everyone on the planet should read this book. Seriously.

Now reading Amsterdam by Ian McEwan.

Archived