What are you reading in April?

mashiara

Even thought I loved some Malazan books, a reread sounds torturous.

I'm looking forward to rereading tge whole series after I finish and I'm almost on the 5th book. I just feel alot that I missed or when I thought the characters were talking well over my head will be clearer.

But I love the books so far. I can understand it sounding crazy if you weren't too amazed by it.

I still think asoiaf is better but it's not as far ahead of the rest of fantasy as I once thought.

I have heard ppl complain about the philosophy and rambling by Erikson gets worse in later books but I actually enjoy those bits.

Even thought I loved some Malazan books, a reread sounds torturous.

Ha, I can definitely see that.

So far it's enjoyable (sometimes a little head-scratching), but I can't see myself ever rereading it. Jeez. I think it's Erikson's style; everything that's happening is pretty interesting and there's action right off the bat, but his writing is not at all eloquent, it's very to the point, and while there's a lot of good information and unravelling, it lacks a certain storytelling in my eyes.

But what the hell do I know? I'm only of the first book.

Halfway through Faith by John Love, quarter of the way into the Dervish House by Ian McDonald and starting Caine's Law. Listening to River of Stars and the Atrocity Archives. Everything's good thus far, though listening to River of Stars is a bit hard because of the names but other than that, I recommend them all.

Hooorray! I've just received some GRRM stuff I ordered after having read Sandkings. But it will be long before I get down to it, I fear.

So far I haven't managed to get further into White Teeth than a few pages (the university's being hell). It's very funny, but unfortunately I've chosen the original version in English and now I struggle a little; the author's vocabulary is really extensive. Huh.

Just started the Malazan series... on the first book "Gardens of the Moon". So far so good, though just a wee bit confusing. I've heard it is somewhat better (or it makes more sense) on a reread. I also went in aware of the fact that you're thrown right into a plot already thick with action and goings on. I like that.... no hand holding in Erikson's style whatsoever.

I've been through Gardens of the Moon 3 times now, and yes, it is much better on re-read. The first time through it's hard to really enjoy because you're too busy trying to figure out what's going on.

I'm almost finished with the series (including Esslemont's first 2 books included - re-read on the first 7), and I am so sick of these books. I loved them all the way through book 8. But Dust of Dreams dragged so bad and failed to have any payoff at the end. It didn't start to get interesting until about 800 pages into The Crippled God, and by then... I just want them to be over. I've got about 180 pages left. I should be able to get through that in a 2 days, but it will probably take me a week or more as I have little motivation left for this book.

I'm ready for a total change of pace, so after this I'll be starting The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy omnibus. I read the first book a few of years ago (it's worth reading again) but never got around to the rest.

The third volume of Theodor Mommsen's "History of Rome", about the Social War, and how the old institutions of the Republic are dead, and a cruel civil war devastates Italy with powerful men (Marius, Cinna, Sulla) fighting for becoming the master of Rome (sounds familiar?)

I'm almost finished with the series (including Esslemont's first 2 books included - re-read on the first 7), and I am so sick of these books. I loved them all the way through book 8. But Dust of Dreams dragged so bad and failed to have any payoff at the end. It didn't start to get interesting until about 800 pages into The Crippled God, and by then... I just want them to be over. I've got about 180 pages left. I should be able to get through that in a 2 days, but it will probably take me a week or more as I have little motivation left for this book.

That's rather disappointing to hear. Some other people on this site on a different thread have mentioned the need to have taken breaks between each Malazan book because they're so heavy/taxing. I'm beginning to understand why, the further I read... :-/

After this I think I'll read Connie Willis' "To Say Nothing of the Dog". Nice little time travel book.

Some other people on this site on a different thread have mentioned the need to have taken breaks between each Malazan book because they're so heavy/taxing. I'm beginning to understand why, the further I read... :-/

That's probably a good idea. I'm not a particularly fast reader, and my reading habbits are a bit sporadic. As a result, I've basically been reading just this series for the past year. So it may just be a little too much of the same shit and that's finaly starting to drag down my enjoyment.

I also suspect that these last 2 are probably better on re-read. With these books, there's so much going on that sometimes it's hard see how it's all going to fit together. But when I know what it's all building up to, then I found I could enjoy the journey more. I liked most of the books better on re-read.

Reread lies of Locke lamora and red seas.... remembered how much I love these. So hard not to race through to find out how it works out. Seriously some of the best endings around.

Justed started The Tyrant's Law by Daniel Abraham.

Excellent so far, although:

Geder = Londo Mollari so much that it's gone beyond derivative and wrapped right around to being awesome.

Like a lot of other people I read River of Stars. Very good book, though ultimately I think I preferred Under Heaven.

Also read The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. Very, very interesting book. I liked how much effort Russell put into the aliens and into making an interesting contact book. I also liked that she didn't shy away from the religious stuff, though I think she did kind of side-step the Why question at the end.

Lastly, I read the same Jagannath that Isis mentioned upthread. Very unique, very interesting short stories with a strong Nordic flavor. The collection did lack just a little extra something to make it perfect, but I really enjoyed it.

Currently halfway through Up Against It by MJ Locke. Hoping to finish it before I pick up The Golem and the Jinni.

Currently halfway through Up Against It by MJ Locke. Hoping to finish it before I pick up The Golem and the Jinni.

I loved the former, and the latter looks really good and I look forward to hearing what you think about both of them.

Ha, I can definitely see that.

So far it's enjoyable (sometimes a little head-scratching), but I can't see myself ever rereading it. Jeez. I think it's Erikson's style; everything that's happening is pretty interesting and there's action right off the bat, but his writing is not at all eloquent, it's very to the point, and while there's a lot of good information and unravelling, it lacks a certain storytelling in my eyes.

But what the hell do I know? I'm only of the first book.

I should have maybe said a reread of the entire series. I would love to take the time to reread some of the them like Memories of Ice and Midnight Tides.

I still have not read the last two though. TTH sapped me of the necessary patience and strength to go on.

Lastly, I read the same Jagannath that Isis mentioned upthread. Very unique, very interesting short stories with a strong Nordic flavor. The collection did lack just a little extra something to make it perfect, but I really enjoyed it.
I saw you weren't quite as mad about it as I was. I just found it pleasant to be surprised when reading, rather than getting what you want/expect all the time.

I've just received Margo Lanagan's collection of short stories so I'm looking forward to that one too. Shorts are about all I can manage lately. Damn you insomnia! *shakes fist*

Archived