What are you reading in April?

mashiara

I'm about 3 books into the Iron Druid series and liking it. It's not my usual taste, but they are so quick I am done before I realize it. He also has a habit of introducing several hooks for future adventures, so of course I have to see how he deals with Witches and Demons and Gods! (oh my!) Plus Oberon is totally adorable. Best dog ever.

I recently finished Living with Shakespeare: Essays by Writers, Actors, and Directors and Karen Joy Fowler's We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves. I'm about to start Royce Prouty's Stoker's Manuscript; after that will be Lynn Coady's The Antagonist. I'm also reading Linda Nagata's The Red: First Light on my Kindle.

Someone earlier this month mentioned they were reading 'the somnambulist,' and I remembered that I had read it but nothing about it. Then I got to thinking that I remember actually liking it's sequel. Then it bugged the shit out of me that I couldn't remember the first book. So I am reading 'The Somnabulist.'

I'll probably finish The Illustrated Man, by Ray Bradbury, tonight. I've been reading it very, very, very slowly since February, I had almost forgotten I had started with it.

Wait is that because you didn't enjoy the book? Because Ray Bradbury is the Man and I'm reading that one soon.

I wrote something disagreeing with your post, but upon further review, I had to side with your review of the book.

Well, that's something, ain't it!?! ;)

Patrick

Wait is that because you didn't enjoy the book? Because Ray Bradbury is the Man and I'm reading that one soon.

No, I liked it a lot, and Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite short story writers. There are some excellent stories in that book, like The Veldt, No Particular Night or Morning... (The problem was that I picked it up when I was taking my final exams, so I read a story at a time when I took a break from studying, then forgot about it for some weeks. I actually thought I had finished it when I finished with my exams, but I hadn't.)

No, I liked it a lot, and Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite short story writers. There are some excellent stories in that book, like The Veldt, No Particular Night or Morning... (The problem was that I picked it up when I was taking my final exams, so I read a story at a time when I took a break from studying, then forgot about it for some weeks. I actually thought I had finished it when I finished with my exams, but I hadn't.)

School always gets in the way of progress! I've got to wait a few more weeks in order to avoid that problem too.

I'm currently reading, The Steel Remains, by Richard Morgan.

I hate to say it, but I'm on the verge of giving up. I feel absolutely nothing for any of his characters—not like, dislike, sympathy, or empathy. I just feel completely disconnected.

I started writing about a year ago, so whenever I read a novel now, not only do I endeavour to enjoy the ride, but my mind also gauges the merits from a technical perspective. Morgan has some skill, for sure—I recognise this, yet I still feel numb to it all.

I can only think of two other occasions when reading has been such a chore, that I have been unable to gird my loins, and put up, and shut up 'til the very end.

I'm not quite sure whether I'm more disappointed by the book, or by myself.

I started writing about a year ago, so whenever I read a novel now, not only do I endeavour to enjoy the ride, but my mind also gauges the merits from a technical perspective. Morgan has some skill, for sure—I recognise this, yet I still feel numb to it all.

You realize that this line, this one right here, makes you sound like a moron, right?

You've been writing /FOR A YEAR/ and you have the skill to gauge the merits from a technical perspective? When were you published? How's your latest book going? When will we see the cover art? Can we read some of your work?

RM's a pretty established author, I wouldn't worry about the 'technical perspective'. If you don't like the book (the gayness, the crossover, the tech) put it down. But don't come off as an ass and try to say it's because it's not written well. Save that for some critiques of the yeard, or RJ

You realize that this line, this one right here, makes you sound like a moron, right?

You've been writing /FOR A YEAR/ and you have the skill to gauge the merits from a technical perspective? When were you published? How's your latest book going? When will we see the cover art? Can we read some of your work?

RM's a pretty established author, I wouldn't worry about the 'technical perspective'. If you don't like the book (the gayness, the crossover, the tech) put it down. But don't come off as an ass and try to say it's because it's not written well. Save that for some critiques of the yeard, or RJ

Another winning post. *slowclap*

The month of April I read the Mistborn trilogy. It was interesting and had some really good twists at the end of each book. The first book was really weird because Sanderson spent little time world building as he slammed in a lot of characters right at the beginning so its hard to tell what the actual setting is.

End of Aprile and this past week and a half, just read the first law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Straight forward story, somewhat predictable and not heavy handed on twists, revelations and battles, but the character development and setting were excellent. Sand dan Glotka's inner monologues are worth reading the trilogy alone.

Archived