What are you reading in April?

mashiara

Just started "The Dispossessed" by Ursula LeGuin and halfway through Dunnett's "The Disorderly Knights".

I also finished "Shalimar the Clown" by Salman Rushdie earlier this week. It was great, but I would still have to rank it behind Midnight's Children and The Satanic Verses. I enjoyed it more than Haroun and the Sea of Stories. "The Moor's Last Sigh" will probably be my next Rushdie book when I can get to it.

And I will be starting Kay's "River of Stars" as soon as it comes in the mail. Pat's review got me excited about it. I would agree with him that Tigana and Under Heaven are Kay's two best works, and if River of Stars is right behind those, then I am in for a great read.

Reading The Drowning City by Amanda Downum. A third in and it is pretty good. Another book I had never heard of until a week ago.

Also working through Witches Abroad, which is still funny as hell.

The Cider House Rules by John Irving for school and definitely Best Served Cold, The Heroes and A Red Country by Joe Abercrombie. Maybe Caesar by Adrian Goldsworthy and Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad if I have more time.

I heard about The Lies of Locke Lamora, is it good?

I have just come out of reading The First Law trilogy, so I like books on that type - magic and fights and etc.

Why don't you continue with the stand-alone novels?

I just finished The Crocodile at the Door (excellent memoir), and before I started looking for my next book, the latest Faith Hunter brain candy showed up on my kindle, so I'll read that while I look for something to read. I'm thinking about a biography of George IV, but I don't really have any fixed views. Howrey seems to be getting a lot of traction here, so I might try that.

The Cider House Rules by John Irving for school and definitely Best Served Cold, The Heroes and A Red Country by Joe Abercrombie. Maybe Caesar by Adrian Goldsworthy and Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad if I have more time.

Why don't you continue with the stand-alone novels?

I was thinking of doing an "author break". You see I started reading ASOIAF in Sept. 2011 and finished all the released books by Jan. 2012.

Then mid-way thru the year I finished the current 2 books in the Kingkiller Chronicles and then the current 2 books in the Prince of Thorns/King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence.

So I don't want to repeat this again, where I read all the material from an author then all I have is a drought of more work from said author. You feel me?

I was thinking of doing an "author break". You see I started reading ASOIAF in Sept. 2011 and finished all the released books by Jan. 2012.

Then mid-way thru the year I finished the current 2 books in the Kingkiller Chronicles and then the current 2 books in the Prince of Thorns/King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence.

So I don't want to repeat this again, where I read all the material from an author then all I have is a drought of more work from said author. You feel me?

Understandable. Are those books you mentioned worth reading, assuming it's fantasy (trying to read some more fantasy besides Tolkien, Martin, Rowling and Abercrombie)?

Understandable. Are those books you mentioned worth reading, assuming it's fantasy (trying to read some more fantasy besides Tolkien, Martin, Rowling and Abercrombie)?

Totally worth it. You should read 'em.

Finished Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake and found it much more to my liking than most of the books on the rec list. Sometimes the language is extremely rewarding and sometimes it's just overdone. The subplot with Keda was really weak, IMO, but any action within Gormenghast was awesome, especially

the events leading up to the fire

Taking a break before the next book and reading The Gospel According to Jesus Christ by Saramago.

I heard about The Lies of Locke Lamora, is it good?

I have just come out of reading The First Law trilogy, so I like books on that type - magic and fights and etc.

Lies is very good! I'm reading it now, I'm 20% into it and I like it a lot. The main character is a flamboyant bastard, and the book is very entertaining. The style is very different from Abercrombie's, which I guess is good if you want to try something new.

Lies is very good! I'm reading it now, I'm 20% into it and I like it a lot. The main character is a flamboyant bastard, and the book is very entertaining. The style is very different from Abercrombie's, which I guess is good if you want to try something new.

Cool, I will look into it.

Also bytw, do you or any other of the people here know about the novel The Painted Man by Peter V Brett, is it any good?

EDIT: Ok, I got the followings books just now added to my e-shelf Mistborn 1, Lies of Locke Lamora, and The Painted Man.

Just finished Sunne in Splendour and am now reading Here Be Dragons. I can't believe its taken me this long to read Sharon Kay Penman. I love these books!

I read Falls the Shadow years ago and enjoyed it but it was a bit of a pain finding her other books, I suppose it'd be easier to get them on my kindle now. Is The Sunne in Splendour a good point to start?

I read Falls the Shadow years ago and enjoyed it but it was a bit of a pain finding her other books, I suppose it'd be easier to get them on my kindle now. Is The Sunne in Splendour a good point to start?

I guess so? Sorry, I had a hard time figuring that out for myself. It is a stand alone and it is the first one she wrote so that's why I went with it first. :dunno:

Here is a list of her books in chronological order if you are interested.

Archived