What are you reading in April?

mashiara

I’m currently (re)reading Midnight’s Children. Just that. I’m technically somewhere between just started and almost done with about ten other books, but Rushdie’s getting the shreds of love and moments of free time I’ve been able to spare in April.

Fifteen years ago I loved it as only a punky postmodern could. A decade past I convinced mistlepong to teach it to high schoolers. Somehow I never managed to finish it a second time despite living in a world of pickled heroes every spring.

So this year I’m keeping up and so’s the book.

I’m currently (re)reading Midnight’s Children. Just that. I’m technically somewhere between just started and almost done with about ten other books, but Rushdie’s getting the shreds of love and moments of free time I’ve been able to spare in April.

Fifteen years ago I loved it as only a punky postmodern could. A decade past I convinced mistlepong to teach it to high schoolers. Somehow I never managed to finish it a second time despite living in a world of pickled heroes every spring.

So this year I’m keeping up and so’s the book.

Probably my favorite book of all time. The sheer ambition and scope and the use of language in that book still amazes me. And there's so many beautiful, hilarious, and terribly tragic moments throughout. I just found out that a movie version was recently released, with a script by Rushdie himself. I'm debating whether or not to watch it.

I finished my 4th Rushdie book recently, and I do want to hopefully do a reread of MC this year. Why would you not see the movie, though? I would go in w/ the expectation that the film is not the book, but I'm still curious to see it.

I just finished "book 1" in David Mitchell's The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. About 180 pages in. Enjoying it quite a bit, but I am read slow.

I guess I just don't want to picture the characters as the actors who portray them. For example, Saleem Sinai is way better looking in the movie than I pictured him. Also, the actor who plays Tywin Lannister is the British guy who sells his house to the Sinais. And the movie got very mixed reviews.

finished the fractal prince. he has a lot of really neat ideas but, even now, two books in and i find myself lost at times. i could possibly be a dolt but, for some reason, i always thought i was smarter than the average bear :(

will be finishing off red seas under red skies soon and i'm sure i'll fly through wellis' gun machine.

I guess I just don't want to picture the characters as the actors who portray them. For example, Saleem Sinai is way better looking in the movie than I pictured him. Also, the actor who plays Tywin Lannister is the British guy who sells his house to the Sinais. And the movie got very mixed reviews.

I'm pretty interested in seeing the movie. I understand the concern about it interfering with characters I've already pictured, I suppose, but considering how frequently I read it I'll be okay. Chances are I'll have to watch a dvd anyway... hopefully?

A few days ago I finished The Coldest War by Ian Tregillis, which I really liked. An excellent second book, a lot darker and more depressing than the first one.

I'm now stuck reading The Kingdom of Gods by N.K.Jemisin. I'm past halfway but can't really say I feel much about the story. I don't have much time for reading at the time, maybe reading this a few pages at a time is to blame for how indifferent I am to it.

I'm also reading 999:Twenty nine Original Tales of Horror and Suspense, but that's going to take a long time to finish since it's what I'm reading on my phone while waiting for the bus when my actual book is a physical book, and I'm only at the second story.

I finished Nefertiti by Michelle Moran. After a painful start with spoiled and arrogant teenagers, the story takes off about a third of the way through. After that, I couldn't put the book down. I do want to know more about the 18th dynasty. I had no idea that most of the names of Pharoahs outside of Cleopatra that I know (Nefertiti, Tutankhamun, Seti and Rameses II) came from that Dynasty.

Feeling a need for witty dialogue and action, so Emperor's Edge #5, Blood and Betrayal is next.

I'd love to start Weeks' the dark prism or whatchimacallit... But it seems I'm completely unable to read books and study for exams at the same time so it would have to wait until may...

Also, I still have to slay that gargantuan zombie titan that is the wheel of time. It's been seven years since I last read a book in the series but with werthead's recaps I should be able to recall all the hundreds of pages of bulls**t about going to markets to buy clothes... When I'm done I'm going to regret spending all that time on the books that came after the fifth...

Took a real risk and started with book one. Shards of Honor has been a real page turner, and I am almost done. Not sure if I will track down book 2 or read book 4 that is tied to one in the omnibus.

finished the fractal prince. he has a lot of really neat ideas but, even now, two books in and i find myself lost at times. i could possibly be a dolt but, for some reason, i always thought i was smarter than the average bear :(

No kidding. It's almost embarrassing how confused I got at various points in those books.

Now reading The Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich. Promising so far. Seems like a bit of In Cold Blood (shocking mass murder in a peaceful rural community) mixed with a touch of To Kill a Mockingbird (tomboy-ish young girl coming-of-age and dealing with racism and prejudice), set on a Native American Reservation.

And I just finished The Round House by the same author and (I think) part of the same story cycle, in that some of the characters overlap. This book reminded me more of The Short Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, in that it was a coming-of-age in a non-mainstream sub-culture with a protagonist who was heavily into geekdom, in this case, Star Trek TNG. I really liked how normalized and non-exotic she made the setting, more so than say Junot Diaz, or Sherman Alexie to name another Native North American writer. I will definitely be reading more by this author in the coming months, probably starting with her first North Dakota reservation novel, Love Medicine.

I'm 19% through Greg Bear's Moving Mars, and I'm really glad I chose it. I have been leery about picking it up because it is supposedly quite inferior to Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy, but so far it's been excellent. It's 20 years old in November, and thus far it does not feel dated at all. Plus I learned a new word! I would have posted it in the "new word thread" but it looks like that is another thread that was culled to help the board survive the influx of tv viewers. Steatopygia: An extreme accumulation of fat on the buttocks.

I've started reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I want to be caught up for when the second book in the series comes out this fall, and I also want to follow along with Tor's re-read. So far, so good.

just finished it yesterday, and absolutely loved it. yes, it was long, and yes the first third or so was a bit of a chore to get through. there's a lot of world building, and it takes a bit to get acclimated. however i literally couldnt put the book down by the end. it finished very strong.

halfway through the third book of memory sorrow and thorn.

good lord is this slow. the entirety of the 700 page second book was several groups of people converging in one place. thats it. a littl ebackstory was revealed . a few unimportant obstacles were overcome, but thats it

Archived