Books for an advanced reading soon to be 9-year-old

Whitestripe

I posted this on Facebook, but since not many of you are my FB friends, I thought I would also ask here. Henzo's turning 9 in a few weeks and he's a pretty advanced reader. I am having trouble recommending books at his reading level that are also age appropriate. He's currently reading the Harry Potter series. He's on book 4 but I worry about the appropriateness of books 5-7. He tried Redwall last summer, but perhaps he was too young, because he didn't really get into it. I may suggest those to him again this year and see if he likes them more now. He's read the Percy Jackson series, but I was hesitant to recommend the Heroes of Olympus (the next series) as I thought the 15/16 year old characters might be too old for him. I bought The Graveyard Book for me, but I think he would like that, too. He's read the Narnia books and he's got the Alexander Lloyd books. What else do you all recommend? He does not care for the Wimpy Kid books, and that is fine with me because I think they are crap. He tried The Hobbit and got bogged down in the language.

Have you tried Riordan's The Red Pyramid? There's some Diana Wynne Jones or Joan Aiken which might work.

I hate the Wimpy Kid and Captain Underpants with a passion.

There was a similar thread to this one kicking around... let me see if I can find it.

Try some classic German stuff by Michael Ende.

The Neverending story (it´s better than the movie)

Momo

Jim Button and Luke the engine driver

The author is the son of surrealist painter and an example of the German liberal "Weltbürgertum".

Sorry, Mr. Dangerous, Orson Scott Card's books will not enter my house. (Unless of course my FIL brings them to read, as he is allowed to read whatever he wants, even those awful Left Behind books.)

Alan Garner, maybe? I read the Weirdstone of Brisingamen at about that age.

That's what I was going to suggest as well. I liked Garner a lot at the same time I was reading Prydain and Narnia.

George rr Martin wrote a children's book have you tried that? My 9yo loved it can't remember the name of it :(

The Ice Dragon?

That's what I was going to suggest as well. I liked Garner a lot at the same time I was reading Prydain and Narnia.

Mum got it for us because we lived quite near Alderley Edge - she also took us to visit the actual Wizard's Well.

Some of Garner's other books might want to wait a couple of years though - Elidor gave me nightmares (although that may have been due to the creepyness of the BBC TV adaptation rather than the actual book).

Mum got it for us because we lived quite near Alderley Edge - she also took us to visit the actual Wizard's Well.

Some of Garner's other books might want to wait a couple of years though - Elidor gave me nightmares (although that may have been due to the creepyness of the BBC TV adaptation rather than the actual book).

Malt, did I ever tell you about Garner's book of collected essays, The Voice That Thunders? Really great. Started me writing again.

Archived