Where is Rickon? [Book Spoilers]

Pretty funny found this in some blog that reviewed the last episode

- The question "Where's Rickon?" has been a recurring joke throughout all of "Game of Thrones" -- it even has a hilarious Tumblr. It stems from the fact that Rickon's character isn't very developed and is also rarely seen throughout the series. That's the same in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" books, though there are some good theories about where Rickon is in "A Dance with Dragons." That's why it was so funny to hear Bran ask Osha, "Where's Rickon?" in this episode.

http://whereisrickon.tumblr.com

It's funny because another day I saw an interview of Natalia Tena (Osha) saying that the amount of energy that the boy that plays Rickon (Art Parkinson) has is amazing, so I guess that the kid is literally running around all the time.

I'm starting to believe the "shaggydog" theory concerning Rickon and his future importance to the story. And yeah it was odd that Rickon's wolf wasn't with him... at first I thought he chased after shaggydog but on re-watch I saw he just ran off for nor reason lol him and hodor are like the comic relief

It's funny because another day I saw an interview of Natalia Tena (Osha) saying that the amount of energy that the boy that plays Rickon (Art Parkinson) has is amazing, so I guess that the kid is literally running around all the time.

Well even in the books GRRM made Rickon vanish and I don't think is even mentioned , not seen, in ADwD.

George said he was bolled over by Natalia he was going to put her back in the story (in Winter?), she's been off stage with Rickon for a long long time now.

A guess. Osha stays with the group until Nightfort where reluctant to go north of the wall again she makes the sensible suggestion that she split with Rickon which Bran thinks is logical.

Then we pick up Osha and Rickon's story in season 4, I can not imagine what it will be the quick cut pudding adds another raisin!

Let just hope George does not invent any more major characters starting in novel 6!

Osha has shown an aversion to black magic & Jojen. I think Jojen is going to convince Bran that they need to go North of the Wall. Osha is going to argue against it and in the end Bran will slip away leaving Osha and Rickon. Jojen will tell him they will be fine on their own. I don't see Osha letting "the little lord" go north with these "black magic" doers willingly.

Osha has shown an aversion to black magic & Jojen. I think Jojen is going to convince Bran that they need to go North of the Wall. Osha is going to argue against it and in the end Bran will slip away leaving Osha and Rickon. Jojen will tell him they will be fine on their own. I don't see Osha letting "the little lord" go north with these "black magic" doers willingly.

Well in the books it was Maester Luwin , who for logical reasons instructed Bran and Rickon to split, which is the last time , on the page we saw Rickon.

I think the logic will be that Osha , has she has in the series, expressed her total unease about going north of the wall.

She thought they were going to Castle Black and Jon in the series.

I don't think Bran would abandon his brother, but I can see Jojen making the same argument that Luwin did and Bran agreeing.

Question is are D and D as taken with Natalia as George is?

We might be getting an Osha-Rickon story season 4, would that be from GRRM or D and D?

If the Hound is still alive those stories might be combined, tho that would be entirely new material.

The only way I could see the show successfully implementing Rickon and Osha in the plot after the split is if D&D radically sped up their and Davos' storyline. I don't recall the exact chronology of the books, but if Stannis is at the Wall already at the end of this season, then they could show us R&O travelling to Skagos (maybe with Sam and Gilly on the same boat some of the way to intertwine as many storylines as possible) and Davos finding them in the middle/towards the end of s4. That's the only variant that would work IMO.

Combining R&O's plot with characters that are near them, like Jon or Theon, on the other hand, that wouldn't work at all I'm afraid. If that happened people would learn where Bran had gone, which spoils the mystery.

I'm guessing that the split will come when Bran and Jojen "dream" of bloody men coming to kill them. i.e. Flayed Men, i.e. Bolton's hit squad (Locke, et al) after they extract the information from Theon that the boys are actually still alive. They'll decide to split up Bran & Rickon to better hide from them. And it'll be the first solid hint for the TV audience that The Boltons are not on the up-and-up (prior to that, the show will be attempting to create the false impression in viewer's minds that the Boltons are trying to find out about the boys so they can be safely returned to Robb and put Cat's mind at ease, and this is Roose's "excuse" for having his son put Theon through non-lethal torture that will placate Robb).

In the meantime, Rickon will probably just continue to run around and crack a few more walnuts.

I'm guessing that the split will come when Bran and Jojen "dream" of bloody men coming to kill them. i.e. Flayed Men, i.e. Bolton's hit squad (Locke, et al) after they extract the information from Theon that the boys are actually still alive. They'll decide to split up Bran & Rickon to better hide from them. And it'll be the first solid hint for the TV audience that The Boltons are not on the up-and-up (prior to that, the show will be attempting to create the false impression in viewer's minds that the Boltons are trying to find out about the boys so they can be safely returned to Robb and put Cat's mind at ease, and this is Roose's "excuse" for having his son put Theon through non-lethal torture that will placate Robb).

In the meantime, Rickon will probably just continue to run around and crack a few more walnuts.

I like it. I also wonder if there is something more to Rickon and the walnut cracking? They show it a lot, him cracking them with his hands too which is something most 10 year olds can't do... Or maybe I'm just reading too much into things .

I just watched this episode again last night and Shaggydog is with Rickon in the beginning and with him when he is running off. Then Bran sends Summer with them, and says "the wolves (plural) will look after him". So he was just off running around, he was not leaving the picture.

I do think Bran and Rickon will separate and agree that it will probably be Jojen that suggests it. Osha will have to feel that Bran is safe with Jojen and Meera before she goes though.

I wish Meera and Jojen were not so creepy, in the book they are just the opposite.

I wish Meera and Jojen were not so creepy, in the book they are just the opposite.

I agree but the way they met probably has something to do with it. They had built a friendship and rapport at Winterfell before lambing it instead of meeting in a dream and being stalked in the woods. I prefered the vulnerable and meek Jojen in the books better too instead of the confident, self-assured show version but at least the are giving Bran's story and importance the proper amount of screen time because Bran and his abilities were one of the things I was afraid the show would downplay.

I like it. I also wonder if there is something more to Rickon and the walnut cracking? They show it a lot, him cracking them with his hands too which is something most 10 year olds can't do... Or maybe I'm just reading too much into things .

Nah, he's just an unsupervised little boy running around venting his destructive energy (and probably a lot of psychological frustration) because there isn't a strong authority figure in his life right now. I've taken to calling him "the Medieval Latchkey Kid". And they're written out Old Nan and Luwin by now so they can't show him biting/punching them. :)

Archived