New Characters of Season 3

Westeros

Dang, I can't believe the Gendry/Edric thing is actually happening. That is a wacky one to me (& it means I was wrong in insisting it wouldn't, always a tragedy), but I guess I'll have to see how it plays out onscreen. I get why they would want to do it, but it just seems unnecessarily complicated logistically and like it interconnects stories that aren't meant to go together.

Dang, I can't believe the Gendry/Edric thing is actually happening. That is a wacky one to me (& it means I was wrong in insisting it wouldn't, always a tragedy), but I guess I'll have to see how it plays out onscreen. I get why they would want to do it, but it just seems unnecessarily complicated logistically and like it interconnects stories that aren't meant to go together.

Well your in luck, considering the fact that GRRM is writing one of the scenes

I agree. Although it does make sense, and gives the otherwise wasted Gendry something to do, how hard would it have been to cast a boy with about 2 lines and introduce him as Edric Storm? That seems easier than making things unnecessarily complicated for themselves.

I really like Olenna Tyrell but her conversation with Tywin in the video comes across as a little too cutesy. You half expect a cartoony trombone to go "wah-wah-waah-waaaahhh" after she snaps his quill.

Then again, she knows the Lannisters need the Tyrells so she's probably just doing her damnest to push Tywin's buttons while she's got the chance. That's how the Queen of Thorns rolls. :drunk:

I am really disappointed with the actor they cast as Tormund, not his acting skills per se but his appearance. I know that is superficial, but in my mind Tormund is big and somewhat rotund and jolly looking. The dude who plays him on the other hand looks haggard with a long serious face, nothing jolly about him. In fact the guy who plays Rattleshirt would have fitted better. They should have swapped IMO, as I pictured Rattleshirt to be skinny.

Well your in luck, considering the fact that GRRM is writing one of the scenes

People keep saying this but in the end, he writes what they tell him to. Just because he's writing the scene, it doesn't mean he thinks it's a good idea, it just means that's what D & D have told him to put in his particular script. It doesn't mean he thinks it's a bad idea either, but it's not like it was HIS idea, so I don't see why it really matters that he is the one who happened to get assigned a script where this scene plays out.

I agree. Although it does make sense, and gives the otherwise wasted Gendry something to do, how hard would it have been to cast a boy with about 2 lines and introduce him as Edric Storm? That seems easier than making things unnecessarily complicated for themselves.

I was thinking about this. and since they never showed them getting Edric like what happened in the book. I thought it would come off as silly if Mel said something like "i need someone with Kingsblood to sacrifce" and stannis goes "well it just so happens i have one of Robert's bastards right here in dragonstone" without Edric ever have being mentioned before. Have no clue how they will know that Gendry is running around with the BWB though.

People keep saying this but in the end, he writes what they tell him to. Just because he's writing the scene, it doesn't mean he thinks it's a good idea, it just means that's what D & D have told him to put in his particular script. It doesn't mean he thinks it's a bad idea either, but it's not like it was HIS idea, so I don't see why it really matters that he is the one who happened to get assigned a script where this scene plays out.

Well for one, he can write it in way that would be more consistent with what's in the books, which is what I assume you're looking for.

Well for one, he can write it in way that would be more consistent with what's in the books, which is what I assume you're looking for.

If they make a diversion, he can hardly keep it consistent with the books. He can do his best to make the diversion redeemable... But he can only do what D&D want him to do.

Nothing about the scene will be "consistent with what's in the books"... However, at least the dialogue will be of (somewhat) high quality, unlike when D&D write deviations from the books.

I think the main thing though is that if it was such a big deviation that Martin was against it, he would probably ask to write another episode, or at least shift that scene to someone else. So I take it as a sign that it won't be so bad, and of course will be well written.

I really like Olenna Tyrell but her conversation with Tywin in the video comes across as a little too cutesy. You half expect a cartoony trombone to go "wah-wah-waah-waaaahhh" after she snaps his quill.

Then again, she knows the Lannisters need the Tyrells so she's probably just doing her damnest to push Tywin's buttons while she's got the chance. That's how the Queen of Thorns rolls. :drunk:

I was literally speechless when I saw that snippet. I guess they want viewers to understand how much of a badass she is.

And maybe I'm a bit slow, but where are Left and Right?

I think the main thing though is that if it was such a big deviation that Martin was against it, he would probably ask to write another episode, or at least shift that scene to someone else. So I take it as a sign that it won't be so bad, and of course will be well written.

He doesn't get to choose which episode he writes. I get the impression that he can either take what they decide to give him or he can write nothing.

He doesn't get to choose which episode he writes. I get the impression that he can either take what they decide to give him or he can write nothing.

Really? Where did he (or anyone associated with the production) ever say anything like that?

Really? Where did he (or anyone associated with the production) ever say anything like that?

Erm, everytime they're asked about it in interviews... GRRM has absolutely NO control over the show, including which episode he gets. I'm sure he can request a specific one... but if D&D want to write an episode, they're going to write it. I don't know why you seem so surprised? GRRM is not one of the producers of the show, he's not involved in the breakdown of the book to the episodes, etc. etc. Why would he have any power over which episode he writes?

Ran also confirmed it a few days ago on one of the threads here, when one of the members asked if GRRM had any "veto" power.

Erm, everytime they're asked about it in interviews... GRRM has absolutely NO control over the show, including which episode he gets. I'm sure he can request a specific one... but if D&D want to write an episode, they're going to write it. I don't know why you seem so surprised? GRRM is not one of the producers of the show, he's not involved in the breakdown of the book to the episodes, etc. etc. Why would he have any power over which episode he writes?

Ran also confirmed it a few days ago on one of the threads here, when one of the members asked if GRRM had any "veto" power.

None of this says anything about whether D&D allow him to choose what episode he wants to write or not. For all we know they ask George first. I haven't seen anything to suggest they don't do that. Maybe he gets to choose between a limited set of episodes. Maybe he gets first choice. Maybe they say "hey George, we'd like you to write this episode" but George can demur.

So, yeah, I'm sorry but you're just making stuff up here. Next you'll argue that not only do they tell him which episode to write, they tell him what to write and how to write it. And which words he can use, which words he can't use. Because, after all, he has NO CONTROL over the show.

[EDIT] I should add that I think arguments that "GRRM must agree with X because it's in the episode he wrote" are similarly baseless, without more specific evidence from him ("I really liked scene X" or whatever).

Now , GRRM, has even mentioned that Dave and Dan do consult with him as they block out each season, not clear to what extent they follow George's input. We have a known example of Jeyne Westerling / Talisa Maegyr deal. We still don't know why D and D made the change, but they discussed it with George. We know it evolved because GRRM is the one who suggessted (we don't know if he demanded) the name change.

As far as I know neither Dan , Dave or George have been asked, but it's one case GRRM was involved in.

I don't think D and D bulldoze GRRM when they make changes because they do talk about the season with him.

Have no idea what GRRM's 'executive producer' contract says, usually a studio/network will not allow , an author, to have 'creative control' over a show.

(Sometimes not even a director of Stanley Kubrick's stature, one reason he moved to England and negotiated contracts that most studios would never accept.)

It is why some novels and stories have not been made when a author is alive or even if legal ownership has passed to heirs.

Take for instance Christopher Tolkien. His father had sold the film rights to The Hobbit and Lord of Rings long before he died. Christopher Tolkien has vowed he will not sell the rights to all of Tolkein's other works. He was against Peter Jackson making and had harsh words for the completed films. Then he sued New Line Cinema in 2008 for 80 million pounds about the Hobbit films, but settled out of court.

No one knows what happens when he passes what the heirs will do or what he has in his will.

GRRM himself is an amiable man, and has as far as we know never gotten into violent disagreement about structural changes.

George is of course making a mint off GOT and seemed to fall back on the same arguments he has used , his TV experience, every time he has been asked.

My perspective is that , so far, D and D have done not jarring injustice to the BIG PICTURE , and have even been faithful to most of the story, and GRRM does advise , and goes along, we don't know if grudgingly or not?

(I dearly would love to have D and D answer some questions about small inventions they have made that really don't make any aesthetic sense. They seem reluctant. Maybe when the whole series is done?)

Archived